Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bang...no squib but powder spills out of the ejection port

Ddipert

Just had this happen for the first time after nearly 20K of 9mm loaded using OS and the zip lock bag method. I had a batch of 300 with 10 squibs thought about half of the batch. Thought my powder bar had slipped but every one I have pulled has powder. Only thing I can come up with is the case lube wasn't completely dry when I started loading. 

Now I am taking the brass out of the bag and letting it sit in a pan for 10-15 min before using. 

On 1/6/2017 at 2:45 PM, Bkreutz said:

The problem I see with the responses is that the brass is sprayed and then immediately put into the case feeder. The lube has to be given time for the carrier (alcohol) to evaporate. I use Dillon now, but I've used One Shot in the past and I spray the cases, roll them back and forth in a towel, and then let them set for a couple of days before I pour them into a container next to the press. Then I put 3/4 of a liter measuring cup into the case feeder when it runs out. If you have to put wet cases into the cycle, you don't have enough brass in the process.

brass clean 11.JPG

brass clean 12.JPG

brass row.JPG

I see no reason to "pre-lube and dry" before loading. I have noted NO differences between a hopper full of brass drying over night, and a freshly lubed batch running thru the loader. Another unnecessary step imho...

As long as the lube is ONLY on the outside of the case; ie adding lube to a container AND THEN adding brass and shaking does just that. And allowing the wet brass to further mix the lube in the case feeder helps spread it. Yea, the case feeder gets gunky with lanolin, a quick wipe with Simple Green cleans it well. 

jj

1 minute ago, RiggerJJ said:

I see no reason to "pre-lube and dry" before loading. I have noted NO differences between a hopper full of brass drying over night, and a freshly lubed batch running thru the loader. Another unnecessary step imho...

As long as the lube is ONLY on the outside of the case; ie adding lube to a container AND THEN adding brass and shaking does just that. And allowing the wet brass to further mix the lube in the case feeder helps spread it. Yea, the case feeder gets gunky with lanolin, a quick wipe with Simple Green cleans it well. 

jj

I don't see how this is an "extra step", the only difference I see is when the cases are added to the bin next to the press. I probably could put the new batch into the mix right after lubing, but I normally have a few thousand cases in the pipeline at any given time. But it's all personal preference, just adding what works for me.

Its as much of an extra step as preloading 10 or 20 primer tubes. plus there is the extra lubed pile gathering dust, so you have two piles or buckets of brass, one lubed one not. It takes extra time to build the pile that could be used for pulling the handle.

That's why i prefer to use an rf100 for primers and lube cases as I use them.

imho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I'm not really understanding how this would be a case lube issue.  If it was a case lube issue the powder would have just stuck to the inside of the case. It wouldn't leave unburned powder everywhere. Unburned powder is usually a low preasure problem. At 5.2gr of n320 with a 180 it's definitely not the charge weight. Did you inspect the brass afterward? Cracked casing maybe? Possibly defective primer? Bad crimp?