Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bang...no squib but powder spills out of the ejection port

Ddipert

Not sure if this is the right area or not but figure it's a reloading issue.

Was shooting a match over the weekend. Pull the trigger the recoil felt different. Cycled the slide thinking I might have a squib pulled back the slide unburned powder all over the place.  Cleared the gun and went to check for a squib. No squib but it's got me wondering what happened?  Don't understand how the bullet would have exited the barrel with all the unburned powder

STI edge

180gr 5.2N320 with federal primers

24 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Stupid question but are you using one shot case lube?  I used to & had some rounds do that.  Changed to dillon lube & never happened again

Yes OS will do that if you dont give it a chance to dry before dumping powder in there. 

What is actually happening here?

Does the One Shot deactivate the powder or something?

I've used One Shot for years...  When I spray it on the brass there are always some that are facing mouth up...  I'm sure they get some OS spray in them...  I usually wait about 10 minutes until I start loading...  I've never had a problem...  How long should you wait?

I just got rid of one shot & now I use dillon lube instead.  Same method but never another problem.  I wont be using one shot again ever.

I spray lube in big baggie, give it a few seconds, then dump brass in baggie, zip shut, roll it over a few times & dump in my 650.  

37 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

I just got rid of one shot & now I use dillon lube instead.  Same method but never another problem.  I wont be using one shot again ever.

I spray lube in big baggie, give it a few seconds, then dump brass in baggie, zip shut, roll it over a few times & dump in my 650.  

+1

OS takes more elbow grease because it isn't as slippery as Dillon lube. I also don't spray directly on the brass, I spray into a Tupperware container, fill with brass, put the top on and shake, and dump into the case feeder. No reason to put something other than powder into the case...

jj

Interesting, I've always sprayed on the brass lightly in a flat tupperware container.  No issues yet but will try spraying container first then adding brass, which does make sense re not getting lube inside the case...thanks,

For some reason I thought Dillon was for rifle only?  Not sure why though.

Dang, I'd be willing to try the Dillon but I kept forgetting I already bought another can and now have 4 of One Shot. :). I dump approx 100 cases in a large plastic bag (a thoroughly dried 7lb ice bag is my favorite) spray, close quick so there's airspace and then shake. But I always let the cases dry for a bit while I'm doing other stuff. 

When I run out I'll try Dillon in case it does make cycling smoother

Red

I've been using One Shot for many years and never had a problem with it.  I tried Dillon about a month ago and didn't like the way the cases felt after reloading.  I'd have to tumble them again to get the lube off so I gave that bottle to a friend.  Cases did size easier with the Dillon.  Maybe I used too much.

Plenty of people never have trouble with one shot & I am glad but as you can see, some do have trouble with it.  If it works for you, go for it.  Just wont be me buying any one shot ever again.  Not worth the risk to me of light loads & powder all over.  

• 1 month later...

The problem I see with the responses is that the brass is sprayed and then immediately put into the case feeder. The lube has to be given time for the carrier (alcohol) to evaporate. I use Dillon now, but I've used One Shot in the past and I spray the cases, roll them back and forth in a towel, and then let them set for a couple of days before I pour them into a container next to the press. Then I put 3/4 of a liter measuring cup into the case feeder when it runs out. If you have to put wet cases into the cycle, you don't have enough brass in the process.

brass clean 11.JPG

brass clean 12.JPG

brass row.JPG

Maybe I had a good teacher but back about 15 years ago,,My teacher told me to use Dillon lube on everything I loaded.

I have one of the tin can that popcorn comes in,took the lid put in some cardboard cut round to fit.lay brass in it on its side,can get a couple hundred 9's in it.Hold it in my hand and spray one time throw in case feeder and load,never a problem.

I always have used carbide dies ,

I had this happen but I could not pin it on One Shot. I had recycled some cases that were salvaged from a failed IMI frangible bullet experiment. I had used frangibles before but never this brand. These were quite difficult to crimp without the bullet cracking at the case mouth. I had about 100 left so I got out the impact bullet "puller" and proceeded to salvage the cases and powder (must of been a slow period in my life ;-) ) It took quite a few whacks as the form factor of these 125 grain .40 bullets was a bit longer than a normal 180 RN. The components were eventually salvaged and went into other loads.

At one match, I was shooting bam, bam, bam, poot. I stopped but saw there were 2 holes on the last target and the barrel was clear. What was interesting was that there was a bunch of powder in the chamber. It happened again a bit later with the same result. I gave it one more try and I got what seemed to be a light strike with no bam or poot. I stopped, carefully set the round aside and when I got home, I took it apart with a collet puller that I had bought. It turns out that there was only primer compound under the spider arms and the rest of the cup was empty. The repeated impact of the bullet "puller" had cracked the primer compound so they were weak to dead. I examined other rounds and saw the same sort of damage. I put the empty cases into a pistol for testing and got varying degrees of "pop"; some nothing at all. So it seems that I was getting only partial powder ignition. I never saw it again after I had culled the cases from the frangible ammo.

As for lube, I have been using One Shot for more than a decade without issue. I put it on like Bkreutz but without the multiday wait. The cases will get into the casefeeder shortly after the spray. I guess 0:10-30 min is the time before I start loading.

Short version: It could be your primers and/or powder. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On January 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM, flat9999 said:

OneShot sprayed into a 1 qt. ziploc for about a second, 2-3 handfuls of brass into same bag, shake for a bit and away it goes to reloading. Never had a problem in +40k rounds so far.

Exactly.  Agreed. This is what i've been using for a couple years now with no issues whatsoever.