Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance do you zero at?

I've got my rifle running and now it's time to sight it in. Do you guys zero at 50 and compensate for closer targets? Would a 15 or 25yd zero be more ideal for USPSA and Steel Challenge? Do any of you approach PCC as an opportunity to run a platform that mimics your defense rifle or is it purely for fun?

I like 1" high at 25yd....helps makes up for my tendency to get complacent on close in upper B zone shots... as to mimic my defensive rifle, one thing shooting a PCC at a USPSA match will do is point out the tremendous improvement in hit quality over a pistol... not necessarily as fast on some scenarios, but a lot of shooters are becoming impressed

I also zero at 10 yards.   For me its the best middle ground for offset for targets seen in a USPSA Match.   When I first zero'd at 20 yards the offset for targets 7 yards and closer was way to low.  Around 6-8 inches.  Not a big deal with wide open targets.  Once you start engaging head shots with hard cover or no shoots at the speed. Under that stress I am not going to consistently apply the necessary Kentucky wind-age.   Much easier to apply 6-8 inches of Kentucky wind-age to the few 25+ yards targets  we see in a match.

2 hours ago, brisix said:

I also zero at 10 yards.   For me its the best middle ground for offset for targets seen in a USPSA Match.   When I first zero'd at 20 yards the offset for targets 7 yards and closer was way to low.  Around 6-8 inches.  Not a big deal with wide open targets.  Once you start engaging head shots with hard cover or no shoots at the speed. Under that stress I am not going to consistently apply the necessary Kentucky wind-age.   Much easier to apply 6-8 inches of Kentucky wind-age to the few 25+ yards targets  we see in a match.

The sight over bore on an AR is only around 2.5 inches. It would be impossible to shoot 6-8" low at 7 yards and hit POA at 20 yards...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...