Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My switch from plastic to Tanfo

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 10:33 PM, johnbu said:

Nice. real good write up!

My DA is almost exactly what your SA is... lol. you can work it down that way too.  have you polished it yet? That alone will knock 1-2 pounds.

I'm curious.  Not trying to mess up your thread  but in  uspsa, do you have to engage safety when hammer is down for the start

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

In IDPA and USPSA:

Double action (hammer down) = safety may be left off, but you can flip it on if you wish.

Single action (hammer back) = safety must be on before holstering.

These rules affect all divisions and gun models.

I thought in ESP division of IDPA one had the choice of hammer back and safety on for DA pistols (if they have a safety). In Limited in USPSA you definitely can run it as if it is a SA gun.

Update:

More gunf###kery tonight.

First, I tested the Patriot Defense firing pin and my assortment of 4 hammer springs with the highly scientific "pencil test":

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/243387-tested-hammer-springs-pf-firing-pin-pencil-test/

Then... all of my Flitz-polished parts got a lengthy run in with Blue Magic polish. The goal was to try to drop my DA pull into the 5.5 pound range so that if I have to bump the hammer spring weight up to run magnum CCI primers, I'm not rowing an 8 pound DA.

I found places on the bottom of the sear cage that I haven't polished which the trigger bar rubs. I found a large burr on the side of the trigger bar plunger where it rubs against the frame. I had barely polished the spot where the head of the plunger rubs on the trigger bar.

Add all of that together, and... (these are 10-pull averages!)

IMG_2962.JPGIMG_2961.JPG

If I have any more issues with the gun eating marginally seated hard primers, that pencil testing session leads me to believe the EGD Medium spring will more than likely be the solution.

I'm hoping that I don't need to go there. I'll know whenever I get a chance to live fire it next.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

Okayyyy

In the cold, and rain, I had the only 100% reliable gun on my squad today! Finally.

Even with the extended firing pin from PD and their heaviest hammer spring, my gun still wasn't consistent with CCI primers loaded on a Dillon 650.

Shimming the primer ran upward .040 and even. .060 later on made no difference. My primers still measure .002-.008 below flush, varying through that range. The design of the press doesn't permit you to eliminate that variation.

So I shot my first USPSA match with a 100% reliable Tanfoglio today. Running an AEGD Medium hammer spring, and finding out that a glass smooth 7lb DA is actually pretty damn shootable. Every first round fired today was an Alpha.

Video coming soon, but now all I need to do is dryfire with the gun consistently. Reloads remain horrible, and the past few classifieds with it have dragged me further back from A class. I'm beyond certain that I'd have made that jump by now if I'd been shooting the M&P my hands are still used to operating.

On 12/20/2016 at 1:58 PM, ryridesmotox said:

Rofl offensive. Ok bud... Here is another edited for you. I'll send you a box of safety pins before I lost next time.

Look At All The 20122016105722.jpg

If I have to shoot one I'll quit. (This from a GSSF MD).

First match (indoors) with Limited Pro (XDm last two years). First ESP,  3rd overall by 1.91 sec and Most Accurate. Backed it down just a hair, as much for new rules as new gun. 100% ignition w 13 lb hammer spring. Very satisfied !!

For my first few stages my issue is always the SA trigger. Shots break just a pinch more quickly - and I drop more charlies - than I would've with the M&P my finger is used to.

At the same time, despite the insanely short reset I find myself trigger-freezing like a boss on close open targets.

There's so much chatter in here about the difficulty of getting used to shooting the DA pull, when that's much more similar to the long polymer gun triggers most of us switched from. 

The single action is the greater challenge. It lacks pre-travel and you prep the trigger more with pressure than with actual movement of the finger... but every time I mow down a plate rack with the Tanfo with relative ease? I remember that it's well worth it.

My M&P had a clean-breaking 2.7lb trigger with reset nearly as short as the Tanfo (a weld placed in the right spot deletes all the overtravel) and it ate CCI primers perfectly.

So, perhaps my standards were a bit higher.

That said, I do prefer the solid feel of an all-metal gun's action to the spongy polymer and SPRRRTOINK! dryfire sound of a striker gun.

Reloads are the primary killer, though. Not one of those was remotely quick enough.

Draw isn't bad, but I need to get on beginning my DA pull earlier and harder. 

Aaaaand shoot the gun enough to learn the SA trigger at speed (impossible in dryfire) well enough that I stop throwing C's because my timing is off.

Talk about motivation to dryfire... I don't think I've actually seen someone this close to A-class without going in.

Gotta get those two-second mag changes down and the first shot on the draw sped up.

(I shot a 73% this weekend that will bump off a 75% score, though. Forgetting to put your hearing protection on is a bit distracting.)

IMG_3265.PNG

39 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Talk about motivation to dryfire... I don't think I've actually seen someone this close to A-class without going in.

Gotta get those two-second mag changes down and the first shot on the draw sped up.

(I shot a 73% this weekend that will bump off a 75% score, though. Forgetting to put your hearing protection on is a bit distracting.)

IMG_3265.PNG

Man, bet you wish you stuck w/ your m&p, hah!  J/K.  You're right there.  You'll bump up soon.  I'm deep into the C hole myself, w/ no light in sight. At least I get to tinker w/ a cool gun.