Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need bullet info

zzt

Caliper your finished rounds to make sure you're getting all the flare out.

Not sure if this applies to you but it's a thought; if you're lubing your brass with spray lube, change your method to keep lube from getting inside the case.

Have a good look at your gun to see if there's a reason you're getting setback that can be remedied.

If all else fails, use those bullets you like that have the lube groove and run them through a factory crimp die.

Abso, I don't use case lube.  All the flare is out.  I use a Lee factory Carbide taper crimp die.  I have no problems with setback using Rainier plated or any of the Hi-Tek coated bullets in 155gr without a lube ring.  The problem was with these specific 140gr Hi-Tek coated bullets with a lube ring.  They were sized .400", so that may have contributed.  I'm about to experiment with 140s and 155s with lube ring in both .400" and .401", just to see if that makes the difference.

At any rate, the point is now moot.  I received permission from the CRO to allow plated bullets, as long as it can be demonstrated that they are plated and not jacketed.  I'll bring a bullet puller to the match and check any plated users.  That is how it should have been done originally, but the old CRO didn't want the bother.  Since I'm the MD now for everything other than bullseye matches, I have no problem checking.

Abso, that is how it was checked before.  There were "issues".  I got permission only because I promised to pull bullets to make absolutely sure it is plated.  It won't be a big chore, and it's better than the alternative.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:47 PM, Gman57 said:

I don't recall.  I reported it to the section coordinator and I never went back.

It wasn't just me btw.  They wouldn't let anyone walk around with their gun in the holster after a stage.  It was bizarre.

Try SnS coated for the bullets you seek.

Sorry about the shooting club. I once belonged to a very nice shooting range that became run by a bunch of liberal minded idiots. They were told they could get a better insurance rate if they ran a background check on the existing members, ( many of whom were Law enforcement and well esteemed members of the community-read doctors and lawyers). In an open meeting the same board members asking for background checks became indignant when asked if they would publish their background checks as an act of good faith....At that point I left a nice range in my rear view mirror.

• 2 months later...