Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need bullet info

zzt

One of the clubs I shoot at will not allow jacketed bullets for steel, and ban plated bullets because it is too hard to tell them from jacketed.  So I have to find some poly coated bullets that are suitable.

I'm looking for 140 gr and 155gr bullets with no lube ring, suitable for use in an Open gun, preferably sized to .400".  Anybody know of a manufacturer offering these?  I'd settle for .401" sizing if I had to.

I love Precision Bullets 155gr coated, but it does not work in an Open gun.  The coating gets flame cut and leads the comp.  Anything that uses Hi-Tek coatings survives the comp, but the lube groove cuts down the amount of surface to retain the bullets and I have huge setback problems.

Edited by zzt

They ban jacketed because an RO got a piece of shrapnel (a piece of jacket) in his arm during a steel shoot.  It was blamed on shooting steel with jacketed, even though no one knew what the actual shooter was using.  Actually, the shrapnel most likely came from the pistol range berm which was littered with bullets.  You would often find pieces of jackets embedded in the posts at the firing line, 25 yards away.  Just to give you an idea of the size of the problem, this particular berm is approximately 42' long and 10' high, covered by a roof.  When they finally got around to lead removal the crew had to come back with jack hammers to cut up the mass.  They pulled 47,000 lbs. of lead and copper from that small berm before they decided it was too hard to go any deeper.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when an urban community grows around an existing gun club in a blue area populated with swarms of lawyers looking for someone to sue for any reason.  If the club lawyers say it's POSSIBLE to be sued for a particular action or activity, it becomes banned and there is no appeal.

Here is another example:  at an action match, one shooter, a nut case and a jack rabbit, tripped and face planted, dislocating his shoulder in the process.  He never lost control of the gun and the safety was engaged.  The lawyers spoke and now running with a loaded gun is verboten.  In fact, you must be in slide lock with magazine removed before you begin to move.

There are other redeeming values guys.  The club is well managed, financed and maintained.  In addition to the pistol ranges, it offers Black Powder, Big Bore, and Small Bore ranges, an Archery range, an indoor/outdoor Air Rifle range and an Air Rifle field course, plus 4 trap fields, 3 Skeet fields and a complete five stand course.  There is also a line of table trap throwers.  It's a friendly place to shoot.

For USPSA matches I just shoot at other clubs.  They nave no extra-rules restrictions and they all make you sign a waiver when you sign up.  For some reason, the lawyers at this club do not think that sufficient.  I also know for certain that those rules keep a goodly number of pistol shooters from joining.

I shoot the Bayou 140's but they have a grove.

It's not a problem for me BUT depending on how long you want to load it may be for you.

I load them to the front edge of the grove. So the grove shows but doesn't effect accuracy or reliability

2 hours ago, zzt said:

For USPSA matches I just shoot at other clubs.  They nave no extra-rules restrictions and they all make you sign a waiver when you sign up.  For some reason, the lawyers at this club do not think that sufficient.  I also know for certain that those rules keep a goodly number of pistol shooters from joining.

There are no local rules in USPSA.  If that is going on, you need to get a hold of your state section coordinator so that they can either get that rule lifted or shut that club down.

There was a club in Iowa that wouldn't let me walk around with my unloaded gun in a holster.  Needless to say, I never shot there again after that.

Thanks jcc, I love the Bayou 140s, but they are the exact bullet I'm having a setback problem with.  The gripping surface is just too small and too slick.  I did find Leatherhead bullets.   They make a 155gr RNFP Hi-Tek coated bullet with no lube groove.  It is sized at .401.

thormax, I tried the 165s today and the recoil is different.  Muzzle rise is higher.  It is not the powder, but the coating on the Premier bullets.  They state flat out not to use their bullets in a compensated gun or you will get smoke and leading in the comp.  I didn't get smoke, but I did get leading.  I'd like to stick with 155s just because I can load them the same as my plated load and the POI and recoil will be the same.

Precision Bullets work well with my comps. Sorry to hear you have problems.

My only comment is why push for no lube ring? Whether it is there or not doesn't make the round any more accurate or have a effect on the charge weight that I have seen. Seems to me that it is better to find the bullet you like out of all those available than to establish requirements that don't really help.

Edited by noylj

noylj, the requirement for no lube ring is because I had serious setback problems with the Bayou 140gr bullet.  Even loading short so you had some bearing on the surface above the groove ring was not sufficient.  I think the Leatherhead bullets will be the answer.  I'll just have to put up with the stink.

Based on your experience, I may try the Precision bullets again.  The last time I used them I sighted in and shot the entire match with them the next day.  I had leading on the comp baffles and chamber bottoms.  I hate scraping lead out of comps, so I procrastinated.  In the mean time, I shot two more matches using the plated bullets.  When I finally went to clean the comp, almost all of the leading was gone, at least from the baffles.  So it may well be possible to shoot Precisions at this one club, plated at all the others, and still have the comp end up clean.  Hmmm. 

Might want to try Swamp Popper Bullets. A new polymer type coating. I just tried the 155 gr for my Limcat Razor Cat. So far looks good. Spoke with a shooter at Gator and he and his wife been shooting them exclusively without a leading issue. The coating won't burn even with a torch flame impingement.  Tod Depriest at Backwatershooters.com

The 155 gr swc from lbejiheads shoots quite well and while it does have a lube groove... the design makes for a larger bearing surface.

I just ran 500 each of the 140gr FP and the 155gr swc through my CK Arms loaded at 1.180" and had no setback issues.   In both cases they were sized to .400.

There is a very noticeable difference in recoil between the 140gr and the 155's, which I think is attributable to the SWC design of the 155's.

I got an avg pf of 115 out of the 140's loaded to 1.185" with 4.7 grains of N320.   I never chronoed the 155's, but I got all the way down to 4.3 grains of N320 with them before they got close to the recoil impulse of the 140's.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, twodownzero said:

There are no local rules in USPSA....  There was a club in Iowa that wouldn't let me walk around with my unloaded gun in a holster.  Needless to say, I never shot there again after that.

What club was that?

G

You can order lead bullets as-cast and apply your own coating. Every company I ever asked has been more than willing to sell me as-cast bullets at a discount price. Maybe Precision Bullets would sell as-swaged and you could coat them yourself?

You aren't shooting TiteGroup are you? Wouldn't think so with a comp, but just wondering.

Edited by noylj

No, I don't use TiteGroup.  I use e3 for Limited major and either Autocomp, Silhouette or HS-6 for Open major.  I shoot and reload way too much to be bothered with my doing my own coating.  Leatherhead bullets will do what I need, and I'm trying samples of ljebheads bullets.