Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock reloading ?

Dirtchevy841

Not a Glock guy. Was thinking of buying a g23 40 cal for idpa local matches. Many people say you can't shoot lead reloads in Glock barrels. Is that true. I use bayou bullets hitek coated bullets reloading. Don't want to waste the money if I can't use reloads. 

Not a Glock guy. Was thinking of buying a g23 40 cal for idpa local matches. Many people say you can't shoot lead reloads in Glock barrels. Is that true. I use bayou bullets hitek coated bullets reloading. Don't want to waste the money if I can't use reloads. 

No problem using your reloads I shoot them in several glocks my 34 and 35.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Glock barrels have a special type of rifling that can collect lead from lead bullets.  Two solutions I will suggest, inspect and clean the barrel often or as you suggested shoot "coated" lead bullets.  Sounds like you already have a source for these.  Some high volume shooters even coat their own cast lead bullets.  Either solution works great.

I have shot nothing except reloads in my gen 3,  Glock 23 for the last three years and had no problems.  Maybe 4000 rounds through the stock barrel.  About six months ago I changed the barrel to a KKM barrel because it supports the case better as I am loading hotter rounds.

Edited by Rustygun

On 11/8/2016 at 11:23 PM, bulm540 said:

BBis is all I use in my glock 35 and STock 2 in 40 cal for production. I just clean the barrel every 1K. 

I'm loading BBI's in 45 and 10 for 1911's with great results, but just bought 1k for 9mm to try out in my 17/19, so expect the same :).

The polygonal rifling is more likely to lead than traditional rifling.  However, just make sure the bullet fits.  I think the issue occurs when folks shot bullets that are undersized.  I shot lead for a when when I was still shooting glocks.  I think I went 2 to 2.5k once (controlled experiment) without cleaning.  I know guys who have done much more.  I did switch to coated (BB) due to smoke and getting lead on my fingers reloading.

5 hours ago, 78Staff said:

I'm loading BBI's in 45 and 10 for 1911's with great results, but just bought 1k for 9mm to try out in my 17/19, so expect the same :).

And  they are damn accurate in my guns especially in my Stock 2.

the polygonal riflings  may instills  carbon build ups  a  little  faster  than  '''regular'''  riflings. no  big deal, just  clean the  barrel   each 500 rounds . i  shoot  lead  balls  as  well      as   coated  bullets  with 0  problems. 

Edited by sigsauerfan

• 1 month later...