Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumble

I use ArmorAll Wash and Wax.....about 1-2 tablespoonsful, 1/4 teaspoonful of Lemishine and 15lb of stainless pins.  Comes out nice and clean and with the wash n wax, you don't really need to lube your brass when sizing.  Not as smooth as it is after using OneShot, but not nearly as rough with no lube at all.  I started using Dawn, but am much happier after switching to the ArmorAll.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 1 teaspoon of Dawn... 1 teaspoon of ArmorAll wash & wax... 1/2 teaspoon Lemishine... 1 gal water... 5 lbs stainless pins... tumble for 1 hour ... rinse twice ... dry in a brass dryer for 20 minutes...

• 1 month later...

I use vinegar and laundry detergent.  Usually use Dawn, ran out, and used a different brand.  Seemed to work the same.  About 5 times more vinegar than detergent.  Works well and doesn't tarnish very rapidly.  Even after a year it's still clean but no longer shiny.

I deprime all my brass before cleaning... 1 tablespoon of Dawn soap... 1 tablespoon of Armorall car wash & wax... 1/2 teaspoon of Lemi Shine..  gallon of water... tumble for 1 hr.. rinse twice...  dry in a brass dryer for 30 minutes..

Original question was what recipe do you use, not should I wet clean.

I don't understand the mix of Dawn and Wash and wax. The logical side of me says this won't really work. Dawn strips everything from the metal. Most car detailers will wash a car with Dawn to strip all wax and dirt prior to a good polish and wax, or just a good wax. So mixing the 2 just doesn't make sense TOO ME. YMMV.

I have a home made tumbler that holds 1.5 gallons. 10 lb pins, plus 8 lbs brass works best.

2 Tbs Armor Wall Wash and Wax with Carnuba, 1/4 Tsp Lemishine, pins, brass, and fill with water. Tumble 2 to 3 hours depending on how dirty, Usually 3 hours for .45 ACP because the powder leaves a lot of residue.  Less time for 40 and 9mm.

If you opt for the car wash, make sure it is a wash and WAX product rather than wash and clean, or wash and shine, or you will get little benefit.

With the Wash and Wax you get better lubricity when sizing and belling pistol cases. Plus they will resist tarnishing for a very long time.  I have some 40 cases I cleaned 4 years ago that look like they were cleaned yesterday.