Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recalls instead of warranty

The more I use my 650, which I've had for a few years now, the more I wish Dillon had a recall policy instead of its great warranty policy.  I'd much rather pay for the thing that I broke, and just have Dillon dole out obvious fixes.  The obvious ones being the spent primer system and the live primer catch.  And then there is, of course, the ejection wire issue, where many, many cases get caught up, and if you don't move smoothly enough, you wind up breaking that cheap, plastic indexing ring.

Yes, I realize there are after-market solutions to the primer issues, and I guess it's about time that I break down and get them, but the ejection wire is making me want to cut myself, or at least throw this press in the trash and get a different color machine.

When I first started loading 9mm on my 650, I was frustrated with the ejector wire.  So I would assume any case wire that rim diameter would be an issue as well.  Found a PDF somebody posted on the proper bend and followed it.  End of problems.  25,000 loaded since without a hiccup from that position.  Want it, I could post it later, just let me know.

i have a second ejector wire that I swap in for other calibers.

Molson

28 minutes ago, molson said:

When I first started loading 9mm on my 650, I was frustrated with the ejector wire.  So I would assume any case wire that rim diameter would be an issue as well.  Found a PDF somebody posted on the proper bend and followed it.  End of problems.  25,000 loaded since without a hiccup from that position.  Want it, I could post it later, just let me know.

i have a second ejector wire that I swap in for other calibers.

Molson

Please post it. More information is gooder...

Nah, I had the problem before I added the bearing.  Bearing came after the ejector wire mod.  Ran the press for a couple thousand before adding the bearing.  

Everyones mileage might vary on the ejector wire mod.  Try it if you want.  This mod was not mine and would love to give credit where due.  I did not record the website location when I found it.

Molson

My viewpoint is a bit skewed as all I did was take my XL650 out of the box, set up three tool heads with Dillon dies and have loaded thousands of rounds that don't vary more than a few thousandths in COAL and have never had any issues doing so. 

I did break one indexer ring when a primer "ringered" on me and jammed the shell plate. I consider that an "engineered in" breakage so something more significant doesn't break or bend.

I sometimes have to wonder when I see some people having a myriad of problems with their press. Especially the ones that took it out of the box and did a bunch of "upgrades" to it before they ever used it. 

On my press, the ejector wire only gives me problems with .223.  I can crank out thousands of 9mm without problem.  I'll probably get a second ejector wire and bend it for .223.  It's just a little disappointing that this is necessary.

I haven't customized anything on my machine.  I've pondered a few of the various gadgets out there, but I always hesitate to "improve" a design that has thousands of hours of engineering by many people in favor of something from some guy's basement.  Granted, I realize that many mods out there aren't like this, but I just wanted to say that to illustrate my point.

The spent primer and live primer issues are out-of-the-box design flaws.  My best upgrade so far has been a broom and dustpan to sweep up the spent primers from all over my loading room.

2 hours ago, TDA said:

My viewpoint is a bit skewed as all I did was take my XL650 out of the box, set up three tool heads with Dillon dies and have loaded thousands of rounds that don't vary more than a few thousandths in COAL and have never had any issues doing so. 

I did break one indexer ring when a primer "ringered" on me and jammed the shell plate. I consider that an "engineered in" breakage so something more significant doesn't break or bend.

I sometimes have to wonder when I see some people having a myriad of problems with their press. Especially the ones that took it out of the box and did a bunch of "upgrades" to it before they ever used it. 

I am in the same boat.  I had three 650-s, down to two now, have been using them for many years without any issues.  Minor parts breakages over the years, and some very minor annoyances like the ski jump (fixed it easily) - nothing else. 

Interesting that Dillon gets feedback on design problems and chooses not to fix them. I spend (too) much time cruising the various gun related forums... reading mostly, posting occasionally. And invariably the same problems on Dillon presses show up over and over again, yet they choose to just let it slide.

The one that seriously bugs me is the shell plate advance jump that causes bullets to tip over and powder to jump out of cases. Sure, there are after market "solutions" to this problem that do help somewhat, but honestly, it shouldn't be necessary, especially with presses in the Dillon price range. We pay premium money for our machines and expect them to work out of the box,  and be reliable.

Once these issues are identified, Dillon should come up with a fix.

The silence is deafening.

Edited by Phlier

I had the same issues with the ejector wire. After searching around on the internet a little I added more downward tension on the wire. It now sits right on the shell plate. Loaded 400 rounds the other night with absolutely no issues.

As far as the live primer catch goes, I took a piece of index card and made a squared off "U" shape. Taped it on, and I haven't had any issues since. It cost me pretty much no money as I had a cut up index card laying around.

8 hours ago, molson said:

Chuck,

Here it is.  In my case, I needed to add a little downward bend as well into the hole that the leg fits into.  I have a bearing with a single race on top and with the very slight bend down, solved the issue of the ejector popping out of the hole.  

Molson

Dillon XL650 Ejector Spring Bend.pdf

Thanks for the file.

7 hours ago, TDA said:

But the addition of the bearing is what caused the problem to begin with.

It wasn't a problem with the press itself.

That was my experience as well. I gave up on the bearing and just spend a little more time setting the bolt tension and then I drag my left hand on the shell plate. It has nothing else to do ;)

On 11/5/2016 at 9:47 PM, Overscore said:

or at least throw this press in the trash and get a different color machine.

Send it to me please. I have none of these problems and I will help keep your local landfill cleaner. You really need another color. Get it!

Like the old saying--You can break anything if you try hard enough--- I've had my 650 close to 15 years always works,have broken a couple small things..but always go nice steady up and down,don't get into any race and jerk the handle to see if you can load 1000 rounds in fourth five minutes..I really like my Dillon,,but if I were as unhappy as some people say they are I would just sell and buy another color mach.. 

34 minutes ago, EEH said:

Like the old saying--You can break anything if you try hard enough--- I've had my 650 close to 15 years always works,have broken a couple small things..but always go nice steady up and down,don't get into any race and jerk the handle to see if you can load 1000 rounds in fourth five minutes..I really like my Dillon,,but if I were as unhappy as some people say they are I would just sell and buy another color mach.. 

x2

I've had my 650 for 25+ years and and am pretty much the same boat as you EEH.  I'll add that I had the ejection wire issue but only AFTER I put the bearing kit on my press so IMO that doesn't count because "I" modified the press.  Once I did the bend it's been 100% again though.  ;-)

Disclaimer: I'm not picking on anyone. Every few years it seems that someone will post a thread like this in regards to the points that have been made. “Dillon should come up with a fix” Insinuating for the price we paid.... it should be better... etc. Well the reality, it's is already a proven well made product… it’s a business and involves many complicated business processes that take both time and money to implement. The unspent primer ski ramp… you would expect them to spend money to retool to do what, add a screw cup to the bottom? The spent primer chute same thing? Someone mentioned, “The shell plate advance jump that causes bullets to tip over and powder to jump out of cases” this has never been an issue for me, why them? I lube the index paw with grease, use a powder that does not overly fill the case and make sure that I have sufficient flare on the case mouth.

My point is you can’t please all of the people all of the time. However, using the excuse because of the money we spent it should be better is reaching. There is not a Dillon press out there that can’t work, reliable in stock form. It’s just a matter of setting it up right and Dillon is always making tweaks and adjustments on certain parts and pieces you just never here of them until you actually need one. All the other stuff is fluff in regards to how we personally run the machine. I added a bearing and made my own spent primer mod for my 650 as a convenience thing for me. Not that the press didn't work without them. On my 1050, I have minimal aftermarket enhances and have no problems with it related to my type, pace and frequency or using it.

Meh, my press was set up perfect for .45 right out of the box. I added dies and made the adjustments, added powder and made ammo. Loaded 400 rounds last week and had a half dozen spent primers pop out and land either right under the press or on the floor. I have also had no issues with the live primer chute. Perhaps the large primers make things work better?

1 hour ago, Boxerglocker said:

Disclaimer: I'm not picking on anyone. Every few years it seems that someone will post a thread like this in regards to the points that have been made. “Dillon should come up with a fix” Insinuating for the price we paid.... it should be better... etc. Well the reality, it's is already a proven well made product… it’s a business and involves many complicated business processes that take both time and money to implement. The unspent primer ski ramp… you would expect them to spend money to retool to do what, add a screw cup to the bottom? The spent primer chute same thing? Someone mentioned, “The shell plate advance jump that causes bullets to tip over and powder to jump out of cases” this has never been an issue for me, why them? I lube the index paw with grease, use a powder that does not overly fill the case and make sure that I have sufficient flare on the case mouth.

My point is you can’t please all of the people all of the time. However, using the excuse because of the money we spent it should be better is reaching. There is not a Dillon press out there that can’t work, reliable in stock form. It’s just a matter of setting it up right and Dillon is always making tweaks and adjustments on certain parts and pieces you just never here of them until you actually need one. All the other stuff is fluff in regards to how we personally run the machine. I added a bearing and made my own spent primer mod for my 650 as a convenience thing for me. Not that the press didn't work without them. On my 1050, I have minimal aftermarket enhances and have no problems with it related to my type, pace and frequency or using it.

This is what happens when an entire generations grows up downloading music for free, they seem to loose track of reality.  Firearm owners are the worse when it comes to this stuff.

While a couple of these "issues" are annoying at best, I hardly see the big deal and the reason big blue should retool there operation.  Curious what brand the OP is going to switch to, considering I hear far less complaints and issue about Dillon products than I do others.

Love my xl650, purchased it slightly used.  It didn't feel right initially, but I stripped it down and cleaned it..... been running perfect since.  Did my first batches of .40 and .357 sig last week and couldn't be happier, simple conversion from 10mm :)

~g

I'm curious as to how some seem to be sending so many live primers down the "ski jump" in the first place.

I've had a few when loading LP .45 and running into a few SP cases, but other than that...

39 minutes ago, TDA said:

I'm curious as to how some seem to be sending so many live primers down the "ski jump" in the first place.

I've had a few when loading LP .45 and running into a few SP cases, but other than that...

This issue especially boggles my mind.... I skip maybe one primer every 2000 rounds.

17 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

This issue especially boggles my mind.... I skip maybe one primer every 2000 rounds.

As I'm trying to teach my son the press, I can say that the ONLY way I've had any come down the chute is when you don't push forward on the handle and seat the next case full into the shellplate at station #1. Then when you go up, the brass hits the die and jams everything up. Instead of lowering just enough to push the case into place fully, it is lowered a good amount and then raised again enough to advance the primer to the next station. Other than that, I've never had a primer come down the chute. So basically, user error.

22 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

Someone mentioned, “The shell plate advance jump that causes bullets to tip over and powder to jump out of cases” this has never been an issue for me, why them? I lube the index paw with grease, use a powder that does not overly fill the case and make sure that I have sufficient flare on the case mouth.

I agree with most of what you wrote...except the part about the advancement "jump".  You said that "someone mentioned".......well, it is a common problem shared by a large population of 650XL reloaders.  Smaller spring or a smaller ball bearing are no cost (to Dillon) fixes.  The roller washer with associated flat washers....under $5.  There is no engineering costs associated with any of these common fixes that have been documented ..... for years!  So for this particular Dillon "problem"....the fix SHOULD have been a no-brainer revision.

((Personally I use a smaller ball bearing from McMaster Carr ( original is .375", now use a .354") with the original Dillon spring,,, and have just added the roller bearing.  Not sure why I waited so long to add the roller bearing..but the action is now smooth as silk.  Seriously, smooth as silk))