Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics mount for Mod.2

gavagai

1) I want to use a 5" Mod.2 for carry optics, but I don't want to mill the slide. Do the Springer XD/XDM dovetail mounts fit the Mod.2?

2) Can I expect a drama removing the factory rear and/or inserting the mount?

3) Does anyone think I should prefer an XDM 5.25? It's the grip that's steering me to the Mod.2 - I absolutely love it (small hands) - but the XDM isn't bad for me either.

I'm new to XDs btw and I have no investment in any yet.

Since you don't have one yet why don't you get one of the new OSP models. They have the removable plate to mount an optic directly to the slide. 

And yes, removing the sights on an XD is as bad as you think it will be, if not worse. Probably the hardest sights to change on any pistol brand. 

Thanks, dave33, for confirming my fears about the rear sights. I'm a non-mechanical oaf, so that would mean costing in a trip to the smith.

Wrt the OSP, I figure I have to compare that to a 5.25 with Springer mount, and with an extra magazine for the 5.25 it only costs me about $20 more to go for the 5.25. I think that's a more versatile option. Having said that, I would go for a 5" Mod.2 OSP if they built one - I love the grip that much.

Loves2Shoot, nice to have options but a dovetail mount would be enough. Thanks for your support of the platform - it will be instrumental in my choosing an XD if I go ahead.

grapemeister, I won't be competing until spring. I'm hoping it will be approved by then. If not, I can still shoot in another division with my existing kit. Having said that, I'm leaning toward an XDM 5.25 at this moment, so it might be moot.

Thanks guys, I think I have the info I need now.