Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback on Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Seating Die

kro77

Hi Everyone,

I have a new to me Dillon 550 and have been making ammo like a mad man with the help of people on this forum.  I have it the press running pretty good right now.  The only thing i am not a fan of is that Dillon 9mm seating die as it is kind of a pain to adjust if i am switch between different loads.  This was less of an issue with my old Lee dies.

I was looking at a redding die, but now found that Hornady makes their custom grade new dimension, and a micro adjust seating stem.  This seems like it would allow me to adjust easy on the fly.  I wanted to see if anyone has used this combo before i purchased the two.

Thanks and looking forward to the feedback,

K

It's fantastic. The only downside is you want to use some purple or blue loctite to keep the seating stem from backing out, which makes switching the stem from flat to Ogive less convenient. That is a small price to pay - the die also uses a floating alignment sleeve that helps seat billets straighter than the competition.

1 hour ago, kro77 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a new to me Dillon 550 and have been making ammo like a mad man with the help of people on this forum.  I have it the press running pretty good right now.  The only thing i am not a fan of is that Dillon 9mm seating die as it is kind of a pain to adjust if i am switch between different loads.  This was less of an issue with my old Lee dies.

I was looking at a redding die, but now found that Hornady makes their custom grade new dimension, and a micro adjust seating stem.  This seems like it would allow me to adjust easy on the fly.  I wanted to see if anyone has used this combo before i purchased the two.

Thanks and looking forward to the feedback,

K

I actually have the Redding in 9mm and .223 which I got first, then after got the Hornady in .308... If I had to do it again for the 9mm I'd be very happy with the Hornady option.

Been using them since they first came out and love them.

I haven't had any issue with the seating stems changing position (but all of mine must be over 10 years old).

Now, the Lyman M-die--there is a die where the expander stem MUST be lactated in place.

Thanks so sounds Luke the 40 dollar upsell is not needed compared between the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply, but I am not so sure of that. I have both, have used both, often switch between round nose and truncated cones in 9mm and the Redding sits on my press now while the Hornady sits in its box.

For one I find the micro-meter on the Redding to be easier to read and the larger knurled head easier to adjust (there is a little more built in resistance). More importantly, it is more consistent - both in the repeatability of settings and the fact it doesn't drift with use.

Not trying to spend your money for you, but this is one case where I have found the extra expense warranted.

Hope the opinion helps rather than creates more consternation.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the Hornady have a problem with truncated cone bullets (I assume hollow points)?  I thought the Hornady came with two stems for that?

In terms of drift how bad or frequent does the Hornady need re-adjustment, thanks for sharing your input.

Hornady claims the micro seater is for rifle calibers only, like they later claimed the cam lock bullet puller is also rifle only, on their website pages. [emoji19]. I have the Redding seating die. It's great. You can find the die on sale right now, not much more than the Hornady And along with a hard to read micro stem that's "for rifle calibers only"...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Does the Hornady have a problem with truncated cone bullets (I assume hollow points)?  I thought the Hornady came with two stems for that?

In terms of drift how bad or frequent does the Hornady need re-adjustment, thanks for sharing your input.

No problem with T/C or JHP Bullets - I load them by the thousand. I use the RN stem for both as its more consistent for gauging.

I've never had my adjustment knob wander over 3K runs, period. I'm equally confused by the other poster's other complaints. The indication markings are very clear, and the resistance while turning?! I can't imagine this being a differentiation. If you can screw a die into a press (or run a press for that matter) you have all the strength you'll need to adjust the micrometer, and some in reserve.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered and installed it. I like it very much compared to the Dillon. Just allows me to adjust easier. Has anyone used this with coated bullets?

3 hours ago, kro77 said:

I have ordered and installed it. I like it very much compared to the Dillon. Just allows me to adjust easier. Has anyone used this with coated bullets?

I use it with plated bullets.