Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Grip

kells81

I bought a Edge a while back and I cannot get used to the grip.  Is there a grip that feels/works better?   I think the grip on it is too square and blocky.   Is there anything smaller? I have seen some of the metal grips out there.  Are they any smaller as far as round size?  I know they used to sell a single stack conversion grip but I have not seen one of those in forever.   The DVC grips look like they are smaller but only because they have been stippled so I think it would actually be just a different feel.   

I hate to give up on it. I had wood for an STI edge for a while until I actually got my hands on  one.   

The factory grip is terrible.  I actually cant believe thats what they send with the gun.  The extreme shooters grip is much smaller.  At least if feels that way.  A huge upgrade from the factory STI grip.  I would just order one from them and then your not out a grip while they stipple yours.  The STI grips actually have pretty decent resale value.  I lasted one practice session with the factory grip.  I think I ordered a new one on my phone before I left the range.

I'm not a fan of the factory plastic grip, either.  If you're comfortable with it, my recommendation is to sand yours down and stipple it to your liking.

I reduced and stippled one of mine last year and it worked really well:

20150802_180523_zpsw7xbclzl.jpg

But my current favorite is one done by Blackdog Gunworks (middle).  The Steel SV grip on the right is new to me, so I haven't made up my mind about it yet:

20161101_194109_zpspmedxd7o.jpg 

Edited by TennJeep1618

I have an STI Executive. I purchased it used and it only had a few hundred rounds through it. The seller had sanded down the grip and applied grip tape. He sold it because he couldn't get the grip to work for him. The grip felt fine to me, but it flexed and the mags would not always drop freely. I was going to try JB Weld and silicon carbide, thinking it might stiffen the grip, but ended up replacing it with STI's aluminum grip. It works very well for me. I guess I'd recommend that you try to find others with the various metal grips and try them before you buy.

One of the benefits of sanding/stippling your own is that you can shape it exactly to your hand and get the feeling you want instead of just getting used to someone else's idea of what the grip profile should be. I did my own reduction/stipple, and while I'd certainly change up my stippling the next time around, the grip profile and undercuts work just right for me. It's rounded off at the corners, reduced circumference significantly, and fits my hand exactly the way I planned.

But if you sell your factory grip and grab a different one, you might be a lot happier with the attention to detail and stippling. Less work too.