Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lee powder measure with titegroup..needing 3.2g??

ncjustin

Recently purchased some bayou 147 bullets.  I can't find any concrete load data, but I have seen a lot of people on these forums using 3.2 grains of Titegroup with this bullet. The smallest disk on the Lee auto powder disk is a .30, which is consistently giving me 3.6 grains.  How can I get the 3.2 grains I'm looking for, other than manually measuring each one?

lee makes a smaller disc for that measure, you have to buy it separately though. 

Never mind, apparently they don't make them anymore

Edited by RJH
wrong info

Another way to make the hole smaller is to drill a hole in from the side slightly smaller in diameter than a set screw, and screw it in to take up volume. I don't think you want it in so far that powder can sit on top of the screw. You'd end up with inconsistent charges that way. Seems like it would be better to use a larger diameter set screw than a smaller one because of this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What is the recommended length with the 3.2gr recipe you had in mind? If it's something like 1.110" and your mags will allow it, you can use 3.6 and run it long (like 1.155").  You won't be able to tell the difference. 

Im noticing with a 147gr bullet, an extra 0.1gr = +2.5 PF & an extra 0.01"= -1.5 PF. 

I use the .30 with Titegroup and 10 charges gives me 35.0gr = 3.5gr each. I run that under a 147gr @ 1.125" and make 129 PF in my Tanfoglio and 131 in my Govt 1911. 

Hope that helps. 

8 hours ago, js1130146 said:

You could fill one of the holes with JB weld or something similar and then drill it out to the size you require

I've done this a number of times to change the charge amount.  Works Great! But I usually just put a small amount in the outboard side of the hole after sealing one side with masking tape, then seal the other side, then orient the disk so the JB settles on the outboard side while drying.  When dry, smooth out the JB on top and bottom and see how much powder it will drop.  If too little, I use a dowel or drill rod wrapped in sandpaper to smooth the hole. If too much, repeat the process with more JB weld.

Edited by dons

I have the Lee Autodrum.  It seems to work great and hold accuracy for me.  Being able to save your dialed in load with a $3-4 disk is really nice.  So you just keep the powder disk with your dies. 

I did follow all of the recommendation / directions including the graphite and then running a full powder measure thru before using it.   So mine was checked out before I began running production.  Turning the adjustment key that many times let me get use to how it metered powder.

12 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Another way to make the hole smaller is to drill a hole in from the side slightly smaller in diameter than a set screw, and screw it in to take up volume. I don't think you want it in so far that powder can sit on top of the screw. You'd end up with inconsistent charges that way. Seems like it would be better to use a larger diameter set screw than a smaller one because of this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did this. Drilled a hole in the side of the smaller disk then put in a screw. I consitently get 3.0gr of titegroup for the past 1,500ish rounds

Edited by MarilynMonbro

14 hours ago, resortboarder said:

What is the recommended length with the 3.2gr recipe you had in mind? If it's something like 1.110" and your mags will allow it, you can use 3.6 and run it long (like 1.155").  You won't be able to tell the difference. 

Im noticing with a 147gr bullet, an extra 0.1gr = +2.5 PF & an extra 0.01"= -1.5 PF. 

I use the .30 with Titegroup and 10 charges gives me 35.0gr = 3.5gr each. I run that under a 147gr @ 1.125" and make 129 PF in my Tanfoglio and 131 in my Govt 1911. 

Hope that helps. 

I'm going to try 147g bayou at 1.145, 3.2 TG for my glock 19. Does this sound right to everyone?

4 hours ago, ncjustin said:

I'm going to try 147g bayou at 1.145, 3.2 TG for my glock 19. Does this sound right to everyone?

If you're running a factory weight recoil spring I'd make sure it cycles the slide before making too many. 147gr usually cycles the slide better than 115gr in the same PF, so you're probably good.