Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A littel help interperting the OCW results

fedupflyer

I am a little confused and need some help interpreting these OCW results for my 308.

I am thinking I may have found a node between 43.5 and 43.8. POI did not really change

Thinking that 45.0 might be on the way to a scatter node.

My original intent was to shoot each target with 3 shoots.

Worked great till I got  to 44.4 and I did what I though might be a flyer. Must not have been because it hit one of the previous shots.

44.7 I wanted to re-shoot but had a round that would not chamber due to a proud primer.

45.0 Pulled shot.

45.6 Though I pulled another but 4th shot landed on another.

I decided not to do the round robin style shooting since I was in a race for day light and that may have been a mistake.

Plus about half way though I was distracting by one of the local wanna-be range rats constantly wanting to talk to me.

Need input as I am new to the OCW method.

Tikka TgtGfx 1.jpg

Edited by fedupflyer

• 1 month later...

Looks good at 44.1

Try 43.9 through 44.2 might be your node.  I think you want to look at the ones that give the least amount of vertical stringing.  Horizontal might be wind and/or shooter so disregard unless it is extreme.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

• 3 weeks later...

Imo I would go with 43.8. That way if your powder throw is a little high or a little low you will still be in a great node based off what you shot. Have you played with oal?

when I did ocw I found the node, then I played with the oal. It really brought out the potential accuracy from my rifle. 

Edited by nikdanja

Based on the thought process of th ocw, It looks like you have a little something between 44.4 and the 44.7. You definitely have something there at 43.8, you see very little change in the avg center of the poi. If the velocity at 43.8 is suitable, I'd run that and start messing with neck tension and seating depth.

did you run this test round robin?

• 2 months later...

Id go with the 44.1 group.  Only thing I would actually try is maybe a 5 shot group at 43.8.  Once you have established your base load, then work on seating depths as suggested.

The reason I recommend the 44.1 group?  Vertical stringing is generally the rifle.  Horizontal stringing is generally the shooter.