Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot

Drillbit

This is my 929 with a Burris Fast Fire III mounted on a Weigand mini picatiny. After mounting it, I went to the range for sight in at twenty yards off of sand bags at a 2" dot. As you can see in the first pic, the gun is muzzle down quit a bit and that's with the dot in the middle of the screen. In the second pic, I'm holding the gun out where it feels level and I think it should be but there is no dot.  

Can this be corrected? Can I get the muzzle up and shooting to point of aim? This is my first red dot. 

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Edited by Drillbit

I have a number of handguns with red dot sights.

What I do is use a laser sight tool (fits in the muzzle) to get the dot close to the bore alignment.

I do this at about 30 feet, then sight in normally from there.

That said, I purchased a FF III and soon disposed of it because of that uncomfortable "hunting the dot" sensation.

The first photo has the barrel pointing down. 
The second has the barrel pointing up.

If the shot goes to where the red dot in pointing I think that's the best you can do.
I know some folks paint a florescent dot on the scope lens as an aid to finding the dot.

19 hours ago, Taroman said:

I have a number of handguns with red dot sights.

What I do is use a laser sight tool (fits in the muzzle) to get the dot close to the bore alignment.

I do this at about 30 feet, then sight in normally from there.

That said, I purchased a FF III and soon disposed of it because of that uncomfortable "hunting the dot" sensation.

So are you saying you don't use a dot at all now?

16 hours ago, GMM50 said:

The first photo has the barrel pointing down. 
The second has the barrel pointing up.

If the shot goes to where the red dot in pointing I think that's the best you can do.
I know some folks paint a florescent dot on the scope lens as an aid to finding the dot.

The first photo with barrel pointing down is where I can see the dot in the center of the lens.

The second photo shows my natural point, no dot visible. This is where I would like to see it. 

This may sound dumb but have you adjusted elevation and windage when you are holding it where it feels natural. You should be able to dial the dot close to center with adjustments.

Elevation and Windage Adjustment

There are separate adjustment screws for

elevation and windage. The elevation adjustment

screw is located on the top of the sight, and the

windage screw is located on the right side. The

windage adjustment mechanism has limit stops at both ends. Screwing

either adjustment into a stop will lock motion of the other adjustment.

Zeroing the Point-of-Impact

Adjust the point-of-impact by using a small slot screwdriver or coin. The

direction of the shift of the point-of-impact is indicated on the elevation

and windage adjustment screws. One tick mark on either adjustment

screw corresponds to 1 minute of angle (MOA), or approximately 1 inch

at 100 yards. For other distances, this value is proportional, for example:

.5 inch at 50 yards or 0.1 inch at 10 yards.

I have the Allchin on my 929 with the Burris FF3 attached directly to the mount. I dont have the weaver/picatinny riser like you have.  That riser should remove from the Burris dot. The Allchin is made to accept the Burris and other similar type dots as it has several bolt patterns on the base for different brand dots. 

I have the Weigand like yours on my 617 with a cheap Simmons dot which is round and not tombstone style like the Burris. 

IMG_1861-2.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

Edited by weldon20

I put a JPoint with the JPoint Adapter on my 627, worked very well and seems about as low as can be unless using a side mount.

JPoint makes adapters for many dots, but some dots just sit higher.

If I ever get a chance to shoot ICORE I'll go with one of the side mounts.

15 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

Thanks for the link.  I believe I will order the Raptor, it's what I'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2016 at 5:30 AM, 4mike said:

offhand shooting from revolver won't shoot to the same point of impact as bench rest

my 2 cents

When I sighted in the red dot, the barrel was the only thing touching the rest. The gun was free to recoil all it wanted.  Shooting free hand, the point of impact has not changed.

I have sense bought a new mount which is much lower and it has improved my sight picture a lot.