Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip presure

Sac Law Man

On 12/4/2016 at 10:36 AM, abb1 said:

If you don't have anything useful to say or contribute, Don't post!! It is funny how these spammers got their post counts so high, without any action ever being taken. I get sick of these posts. Spammers like this should be warned and if it continues--BANNED!

You're completely insane saying this about one of the better shooters on this forum who helps people for free all the goddamn time. Perhaps once you've answered the same question for 5-10 years you'll understand why someone says "use the search feature". There's a lot of good information in those old threads. Too bad most people don't take the time to look. "Spammers like this"....God that pisses me right off. You've been a member here since August and you have the gall to say that crap about Cha-Lee who has actually been contributing here for somewhere around 8 years. What a joke. Go back under your bridge.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Steve Anderson's podcast would tell you that you need to do it in dryfire the same way for a few weeks, until it becomes the new normal, and from there on out your subconscious mind will automatically put that grip pressure into play anytime you present a handgun to a target.

Once it becomes the normal way for you to handle the gun.

For sure. I think most people are going to take waaaay longer than a few weeks to make that kind of change though. My general rule for people is they aren't allowed to complain or get frustrated about skill development until they've worked that skill everyday for 6 months.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/1/2016 at 1:15 PM, CrashDodson said:

When I started taking dry fire seriously and really pushing par times and working with COC grippers I ended up with elbow issues.  I've worked through them now but I would recommend also doing some of these exercises  at the same time as they helped me.  You may get lucky and not have any elbow trouble but tennis elbow is no fun.  

Chad Reilly is a sexy beast

1 hour ago, Jake Di Vita said:

You're completely insane saying this about one of the better shooters on this forum who helps people for free all the goddamn time. Perhaps once you've answered the same question for 5-10 years you'll understand why someone says "use the search feature". There's a lot of good information in those old threads. Too bad most people don't take the time to look. "Spammers like this"....God that pisses me right off. You've been a member here since August and you have the gall to say that crap about Cha-Lee who has actually been contributing here for somewhere around 8 years. What a joke. Go back under your bridge.

For sure. I think most people are going to take waaaay longer than a few weeks to make that kind of change though. My general rule for people is they aren't allowed to complain or get frustrated about skill development until they've worked that skill everyday for 6 months.

Settle down Francis..... sheesh, get worked up much? Take your blood pressure meds and your lithium and go to bed, or back to therapy. 

7 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Settle down Francis..... sheesh, get worked up much? Take your blood pressure meds and your lithium and go to bed, or back to therapy. 

"Lighten up, Francis" was the one you were lookin' for. And my blood pressure is stellar, thank you. Can I come sit on your couch and talk to you about feelings? 

Back to grip pressure.  I noticed that my reloads were a little more consistent when gripping the gun really tightly which was a nice byproduct.  Not necessarily faster, but more consistently hitting the hole instead of having to ram it home after hitting at an off angle.  Not a great vid but I'm not much of a video guy.  I did this for about thirty minutes tonight while watching a boring Monday night football game and only was missing my reloads when i was trying to go stupid fast.

https://youtu.be/kbmqSbCAHrU

I'm sold on the gripping really hard, but will still keep researching just to make sure it really helps me shoot measurably better.

52 minutes ago, Jake Di Vita said:

"Lighten up, Francis" was the one you were lookin' for. And my blood pressure is stellar, thank you. Can I come sit on your couch and talk to you about feelings? 

...you got more to vent? How bout drink a beer and relax, this is the Internet. We all know the millennials get all worked up and get their panties in a wad.... go play some Pokémon thingamadoo and relax, Francis. 

18 minutes ago, Pistolpete9 said:

Back to grip pressure.  I noticed that my reloads were a little more consistent when gripping the gun really tightly which was a nice byproduct.  Not necessarily faster, but more consistently hitting the hole instead of having to ram it home after hitting at an off angle.  Not a great vid but I'm not much of a video guy.  I did this for about thirty minutes tonight while watching a boring Monday night football game and only was missing my reloads when i was trying to go stupid fast.

https://youtu.be/kbmqSbCAHrU

I'm sold on the gripping really hard, but will still keep researching just to make sure it really helps me shoot measurably better.

Yeah I think that's reasonable. When people make changes in their mechanics they tend to pay a little closer attention to what they're doing as well. My hands usually relax a bit when I'm not immediately shooting at something, but if the tighter grip helps your reloads that's great.

As far as measuring the improvement, make sure you give it a good long time of practice before you come to any conclusions.

Wow, very impressed with your training data.  Did you notice any systematic improvements from drill #1 to 25, 50, 75, 100?  I "assume" I would show a big improvement, then the next test with harder or softer grip would benefit from the improvement, ruining the test! But, being a noob I NEED rounds down range and still make stupid goofs so repetitions are very beneficial.

I Also strongly agree that some people just want to be the best and then DO WHAT IT TAKES. Everyone can be a GM in this game...if they are willing to dedicate time, effort, thought, etc that it requires.  your posts help kindle the fire to go out and DF!  

On 11/29/2016 at 7:32 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

It took like 10 hours over the course of an entire month to do that, each session was recorded as being from 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm...hardly a huge expenditure of time and money. The testing isn't nearly as much work as you're making it out to be and the recording of drills is important for anyone who wants to improve. It's not that I have a surplus of time and money to throw at the game, I just made it a higher priority than a lot of people do. I haven't shot a nationals in almost 10 years because I don't have the resources to prepare like I'd need to for a performance I'd be happy with. 

What separates GMs from everyone else is the work that happens when most people are sleeping, hanging out with friends, or relaxing. The only thing special about my situation is I hate losing a lot more than most people who hate losing.

2 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Wow, very impressed with your training data.  Did you notice any systematic improvements from drill #1 to 25, 50, 75, 100?  I "assume" I would show a big improvement, then the next test with harder or softer grip would benefit from the improvement, ruining the test! But, being a noob I NEED rounds down range and still make stupid goofs so repetitions are very beneficial.

I Also strongly agree that some people just want to be the best and then DO WHAT IT TAKES. Everyone can be a GM in this game...if they are willing to dedicate time, effort, thought, etc that it requires.  your posts help kindle the fire to go out and DF!  

I made sure I was real warmed up before I started running the drills each day so there wasn't a ton of difference between how 1 and 100 felt. Each session was a week apart, I don't necessarily think I carried a higher skill level in to each successive test. It takes a long time for me to build skill that sticks. As far as feeling like a noob, needing rounds down range, and making stupid goofs....I still do all that and more.

Yeah the actual amount of skill required to hit GM isn't beyond the grasp of many people. Everyone is busy. Everyone has legit excuses. We all have reasons why we can't do things. The people that really want it just figure out a way to make it happen despite all that. Talent is everywhere. Tenacity isn't.

On 12/5/2016 at 7:30 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Settle down! There is no need for insults! You are right, I have been only a member here since August, and since that I have read several posts where members ask questions, and instead of providing a quick answer, they post 'go search'. This is a forum developed around shooting and has been in existence for some time. ANY question that is asked probably has the answer somewhere's here at some point in time. The point is that not all people have the time to go through countless posts to find the answer for a simple question. Not all members have the expertise (or time-in) that you or Cha-lee have, so instead of telling them to hit the road and search, why not spend the 20 words to answer the question? You want to encourage members, and telling someone that asks a question to search for the answer when you know it and it would have taken you just as long to post that is inexcusable! I have read countless posts here that are informative and helpful, and others that just post to 'go search, this has been talked about', well, in here a lot has been talked about and you can just post those same words to every question asked. Why not just provide the answer that the member is looking for?

Edited by abb1

15 minutes ago, abb1 said:

Settle down! There is no need for insults! You are right, I have been only a member here since August, and since that I have read several posts where members ask questions, and instead of providing a quick answer, they post 'go search'. This is a forum developed around shooting and has been in existence for some time. ANY question that is asked probably has the answer somewhere's here at some point in time. The point is that not all people have the time to go through countless posts to find the answer for a simple question. Not all members have the expertise (or time-in) that you or Cha-lee have, so instead of telling them to hit the road and search, why not spend the 20 words to answer the question? You want to encourage members, and telling someone that asks a question to search for the answer when you know it and it would have taken you just as long to post that is inexcusable! I have read countless posts here that are informative and helpful, and others that just post to 'go search, this has been talked about', well, in here a lot has been talked about and you can just post those same words to every question asked. Why not just provide the answer that the member is looking for?

Like most things you want to master you need to be willing to put in the practice time.  But if you aren't even willing to put in the time to do some research, then I think it becomes frustrating for some of the members that have put in lots of time sharing valuable info. 

12 hours ago, abb1 said:

Why not just provide the answer that the member is looking for?

I'm going to ignore the rest of what you said and just answer this.

The reason is I can't just "spend 20 words" and give a response that provides the same amount of information and insight as a 5 page thread that has 20 great posts by different people. Maybe I'm just an idiot but I can't vomit out useful specific posts...I have to think, write, think, rewrite, rewrite, rewrite etc to really provide a post that makes sense, is explained well, and doesn't step too hard on people's toes. I've had this post on my screen for 45 minutes. I can't speak for other experienced shooters, but I prefer to use my time on posts with good questions since the generic ones are all already answered and probably answered better than I could do by myself. 

From my point of view, if you're tellin' me you don't have the time to do a little research, odds are high you won't use the information you're asking for anyway. "I don't have time" doesn't work for me. That doesn't compel me to want to help you for free. Show me you want to improve. Search, read, think, then come back with a good question. I guarantee you won't see "do a search".