Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throat Ream 9mm PCC?

I'm looking into different options for a decent PCC in 9mm and Kaw Valley Precision and Faxon are barrels I'm looking at.  Seen several comments here and on other forums stating that the chambers on these barrels seem to like short bullet OALs or tapering bullet profiles.  Ideally, I'd like to use the same load as my 9mm pistols (some of which were throat reamed).    

So, here is the question - is there any reason the PCC barrel can't be throat reamed to take the longer OAL?

I don't see any reason that would be a problem but wanted to pose the question to the PCC experts here. 

Thx.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You. 

Understand the throater is caliber specific and not based on the barrel brand.  It's just that these are two pretty modestly priced barrels (both made by Faxon, I believe) which fit my budget, and a prevailing comment is that they like short OALs which would probably be an issue for Bayou 135gr bullets at 1.135" which is what  I use in pistols. 

Yes you can ream.  But you don't want to use the same ammo that you use in your 9mm pistols if you are shooting competition, your 9mm pistol load will be 140-150pf in a 14-16" barrel carbine. you can down load .5-1.0gn to make 130pf in your carbine, the same load in your pistol would be 118-120pf.

Ya know (I'm sure you've already thought it over but) the 9mm ar barrels from JP aren't much more $$ not ta knock the other two but JP has their stuff dialed in any if it isn't they will bend over backwards to get you running. I love my JP barrels. Just finished my 14.5" 9mm 

Edited by bdugger

Something to keep in mind with these is the nitride. Faxon and Kaw Valley (both made by Faxon) in my experience do not like the coated projectiles I use loaded any longer than 1.10 which is not ideal for feeding. I don't know that a regular throating reamer will cut a nitrided chamber very well.

Yup, you can ream. I reamed my Colt barrel(chrome lining and all) because when using my Production loads( minus .2gr of powder) I found that the bullets were getting driven into the rifling making unloading the chamber a chore.  I already owned the reamer, because of the same issue with my CZ Production guns. 

Ran into the same problem with the NFA barrels, don't know who makes them, Faxon said they didn't. Virtually no freebore/lead in the chamber cut.  The Clymer finish reamer has nice long lead/freebore.

Talked to both manufactures and then seemed totally unaware. When I asked for the specs of their reamer, they just said we use a production PTG pacific tool Gage. PTG show no specs on their web page.

I agree want to use same bullets and overall length as loaded in the pistol

On 11/1/2016 at 0:08 AM, bdugger said:

Ya know (I'm sure you've already thought it over but) the 9mm ar barrels from JP aren't much more $$ not ta knock the other two but JP has their stuff dialed in any if it isn't they will bend over backwards to get you running. I love my JP barrels. Just finished my 14.5" 9mm 

My 16"JP 9mm PCC barrel will accept a round loaded way longer than my mags will. Let's you load pretty much what ever you want.

Had the same issue with my Faxon barrel and got the same response from them on the PTG reamer. Ran a throating reamer as the chamber itself was good and the problems were fixed. If I had to do over again I would choose the JP barrel as I'm running their bolt.

Found this posting from cking and its worth noting again: "Problem isn't a short chamber it is a short freebore/lead, drop a round in the barrel it should stop on case and spin freely if not, you bullet is hitting the rifling, Use a Clymer 9mm reamer it has a long lead freebore, careful to use a reamer stop you don't want to cut the chamber deeper."

Just note, Faxton's barrel are now coming with 1/2-28TPI threading so make sure you get the appropriate 9mm muzzle device.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know who makes the barrels for PSA but it will definitely need a throat reamer.

I'm in the experimental stage of load development but to use up my 147 gr X-treme RD bullets I have to drop the OAL to under 1.100".

They pass the plunk test but will not rotate.

Ibejihead 160 gr coated bullets are even worse.

I just need to find a good deal on the reamer and extension.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Brownells has Clymer's (or you can call them direct) and those are +.002 over.  

Mansons (order direct from them by calling) are a little cheaper and are +.001. 

Manson also sells a 1/4" reamer extension T-handle for 16 bucks, or you can go to Ebay and there is a guy there selling some nice looking ones for nice price.  Brownell's also sells Clymer extensions, if you go this way be sure to order the one for a 1/4" round shanked throater and not a chamber reamer.    

I reamed mine (Kaw Valley) this weekend.  Definitely mo better.  I've been schooled a lot in the blow back guns this past month!  ;)

Edited by Bamboo

A clymer reamer got my Kaw Valley barrel in shape to accept my Blue Bullet reloads. Befor I reamed it I could just barely get some Federal HST 124 gr to chamber. The clymer actually opened up the chamber at the case mouth and lengthened the freebore as well. I've had no problems so far and I get the feeling this combo will feed everything, even when filthy.

13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Brownell's also sells Clymer extensions, if you go this way be sure to order the one for a 1/4" round shanked throater and not a chamber reamer.    

I saw several listed but did not know which one would work.  Contacted Brownell's Gun Tech and the one they recommended is not currently in stock.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, bwikel said:

FYI nitride coated barrels do not cut easily especially by hand. It took me 2 hours to throat one and increase the freebore 0.05".

Did it damage the reamer?  My melonite barrel may be more trouble than its worth.

A new reamer  and extension will cost almost as much as the barrel, especially if the reamer is good for just one barrel.

On 11/22/2016 at 8:02 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Did it damage the reamer?  My melonite barrel may be more trouble than its worth.

A new reamer  and extension will cost almost as much as the barrel, especially if the reamer is good for just one barrel.

It didn't damage it but it was a very slow go. Any faster turning would probably ruin it. 

Edited by bwikel