Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throat Ream 9mm PCC?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail this thread.  But Patriot Defense (BE Vendor) is offering barrel reaming as a service for 9mm pistols as well as 9mm rifle barrels. I'd give them a call and see if they can help you. If I recall, it was a $39 service and that included return shipping.

8 hours ago, v1911 said:

Not to derail this thread.  But Patriot Defense (BE Vendor) is offering barrel reaming as a service for 9mm pistols as well as 9mm rifle barrels. I'd give them a call and see if they can help you. If I recall, it was a $39 service and that included return shipping.

Same for CCGunworks. Matt reams quite a few barrels

That's cheap considering it cost me $55 for a reamer I've only needed once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drop an empty sized case into the chamber to give you some idea how much of the brass is still exposed.

Aircooled6Racer posted a picture of it somewhere on the forum.

Then drop a loaded case of your chosen ammo and if it doesn't plunk, it fails. If it doesn't fall out easily when turned upside down, it fails.

On 3/19/2017 at 10:15 PM, v1911 said:

I asked on another thread if they will ream a "nitrided" PCC barrel. If they respond I'll update this post.

Bill

Update:  Patriot Defense advised they will not ream nitrided barrels at this time.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks for posting all the info guys.

I spoke with Dave Manson today and he confirmed that this is a common problem with 9mm rifle barrels. But when I mentioned that my barrel was nitrited, he suggested to find out from the MFR if it's nitrited on the bore/chamber. He said it would be hell to ream a nitrited barrel. But the he recommended a "35 caliber pistol throater" to solve the problem of the premature bullet engagement. He also recommended the 12" T-handle if I didn't want to remove the barrel.  Nice fellow and very helpful.  He said that the F9MMLUGB (mentioned earlier in this thread) isn't what I need to lengthen the throat. 

I want my gun to run anything just like my Glocks will run anything. I don't think its asking for too much.

I'm slightly interested in sending my barrel to Patriot defense, but I like having the ability to ream more if I need to in the future (if I purchase the throat reamer).  I could also maybe recoup the cost of the reamer by offering this service to other shooters in my area.

22 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

That's cheap considering it cost me $55 for a reamer I've only needed once!

If you still have the reamer, I'd be interested in getting it from you.  You might even consider renting it out to others and get your money back.  Either way, let me know.

If you still have the reamer, I'd be interested in getting it from you.  You might even consider renting it out to others and get your money back.  Either way, let me know.

I didn't use enough cutting fluid and damaged the reamer. I gave it to a friend to send back for sharpening and not sure if he ever did. Haven't seen it for months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 11:24 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am using a 16" stainless Wilson Arms barrel on one of my uppers I built. You can load out to 1.170" OAL since I just tested one of my open loads to see if it would pass the plunk test. It does. I did lighten it since it has a heavier contour than I like. I am very happy with the accuracy out to 50 yards since that is as far as I have tested it and should be good enough for USPSA PCC. I load 1.140-1.150 OAL for Glock 17 mags. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0652.JPG

Good to hear, that's the barrel I ordered for my PCC build.

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2016 at 7:26 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Mike: You have to remember that we are the sick bastards that actually shoot the hell out of our guns. Most buy a box of ammo and shoot 10 rounds and put the gun away. Shooting guns in a match brings out the good and bad and what you have to work on. If the rifle does not work 100% it has to be worked on so it does or else you will be way down on the score board. I like the light weight of the KAW valley barrel as well and that is why I chose it. I am sure KAW is just using a standard reamer and not throating the barrel at all for different bullet shapes. Thanks, Eric

I am building a PCC rifle with a Kaw Valley 16" barrel...  When I started plunking rounds to see how they fit the barrel, I found what you and everyone in this thread already knows...  The Kaw Valley 9mm barrel requires shorter OAL cartridge lengths than I would like to use.

I have never throated a barrel, but do a lot of the work on my guns (Open and Limited), and would like to throat my own KVP barrel...  I know this thread is a bit old, but it has a lot of good information and I didn't want to start over with a completely new thread...  After reading through this thread, I do have a few questions:

When I drop a fired piece of 9mm brass in my KVP barrel, It plunks fine...  I assume my barrel is like everyone else's KVP barrel in that it just needs throating...  and does not need any chamber work.

I' not sure of the differences between different types of reamers...  I assume a throating reamer only deepens the throat.  I assume a chamber reamer only reams the chamber...  I'm not sure what roughing and finishing reamers do?

Earlier in this thread a Manson reamer part number, F9MMLUGB, was mentioned as the correct reamer...  Later in the thread someone else said that was not the correct throating reamer...  Someone else suggested using a 9x23 reamer instead of a 9x19 9mm Luger reamer...  Someone else mentioned that Dave Manson recommended using a "35 caliber pistol throater" to throat the barrel.

What do you recommend to throat a KVP 9mm rifle barrel?

9 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

What do you recommend to throat a KVP 9mm rifle barrel?

Don't do it.... SEND IT BACK and have them do it.    That's what I did with my New Frontier match barrel.    It took a little insisting but they do realize what bad press will cost them.

On 11/23/2016 at 5:24 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I just did a KAW 9mm barrel today. It took about 5 minutes to do and most of that time was setting it up. Good to go now with coated bullets and JHP bullets out to 1.170". Thanks, Eric

On 11/23/2016 at 8:08 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I used a Manson finish reamer in 9x23. The barrel is a KAW (Faxon) 16".  Thanks, Eric

Went back and re-read this thread...  See that you used a Manson 9x23 reamer for your KAW barrel.

I'm getting ready to order a reamer from Manson...  Curious why you used a 9x23 reamer instead of a 9x19 Luger reamer?  Is there a reason for the 9x23 reamer?  From reading your posts, I doubt you just used the 9x23 reamer because you had one laying around on your work bench.

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, CZ85Combat said:

Yes But you don't want to use the same ammo that you use in your 9mm pistols if you are shooting competition, your 9mm pistol load will be 140-150pf in a 14-16" barrel carbine. you can down load .5-1.0gn to make 130pf in your carbine, the same load in your pistol would be 118-120pf.

That's what I came for.

Thanks!

On 6/29/2018 at 4:09 PM, RaylanGivens said:

I'm not sure of the differences between different types of reamers...  I assume a throating reamer only deepens the throat.  I assume a chamber reamer only reams the chamber...  I'm not sure what roughing and finishing reamers do?

Roughing reamers are used to "rough out" chambers before finish reaming chamber to final dimensions,  they save wear and tear on finish reamers. Some smith's use drills or boring bars in lieu of roughing reamers. Finish reamers cut chambers to final dimensions- a finish reamer may also cut the throat of a chamber or not depending on how it was ground (most do).

Throating reamers increase the freebore length of a chamber and can possibly change the angle and length of the transition from freebore to barrel dimensions, typically PTG uses a 1.5 degree angle and manson and clymer use a 2 degree angle