Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson combat AR9

Glock mags. its not the mags. the burst fire is the biggest problem, and hit or miss on the light strikes.  the light strikes I think are from the hammer following. if you look at the video you will see the erratic ejection pattern, (forward,back & middle).  this has to do with the BCG plunger ejector.

bil has one and had to send it back due to lotsa malfs.  came back and works 100% but have only shot it i think one match since.  another guy at last match has one and said it's been 100% from day one.  certainly HATE to have problems with a gun that is some $500 more than a JP and some $1k more than a qc10 etc build, but as long as wilson fixes any problems and quick, guess that's not too bad.

WC had a booth set up at IDPA nationals this year. They had a bucket full of 9mm, a bunch of mags and my undivided attention. Both my friend and I ran the AR9. It was a LOT of fun to shoot. Very soft recoil and a modest amount of dot movement during burst firing. I shot it twice over the course of 3 days. 

2 things that rubbed us wrong (not including price). Several premature bolt lock backs with ammo still in mag. Seemed to be related to a factory 10 round glock mag. Standard capacity mags ran fine. Second, the trigger. Neither of us cared for the 2 stage trigger. During burst fires it was possible to initiate trigger freeze quite easily. I prefer the feel of a single stage trigger. WC rep said it was in the works but that they used the 2 stage for reliability purposes.

Seen 1 go for $1,600 on GB a few weeks back. At that price it would be very tempting. I'd have a hard time ponying up $2k for a rifle only to have to drop another couple hundred on a trigger. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Have a Wilson Combat too and I would get a JP if I could do over again.   The accuracy of the Wilson barrel is amazing and the mag release and mag well are both much bigger and barrel is fluted so I felt good about that.   But I have had some burst fire and plenty of extraction problems at two matches I've shot it at (USPSA monster match and a 3gun match).  It will strip off the next round and feed it into the round still in the chamber. So I have to strip the mag clear it and put another in every other stage.  I put a Hyperfire trigger in it so zero issues with light primer hits, in fact I bet I could run magnum primers just fine. 

The comp has a very uncommon threading but seems to work ok.   In addition to the trigger, handguard (had to get a narrow 1-3/16" Open End Crowfoot Wrench to remove) stock, charging handle, selector, and grip.  It's now 6lbs 10.4 oz

When I called Wilson Combat today about the extraction issues - they said some people are having issues and higher strength extraction springs should fix it.  He said he would also me extra power glock 17 mag springs.. I really don't think it is the mags, I've run stock, 17/34 mags with TTI basepads, and TF, ETS 30rnd and glock 31rnd all have had a issue at some point. 

Curious if anyone has tried the JP BCG in it yet?

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

Edited by HMFIC03
  • 4 months later...

Just to be up front I'm just an old man who likes to shoot. Have the Wilson AR9 and had problems at first. All failure to feeds. Measured all of them and found them to be long. Segregated bullets above and below OAL 1.141". Have shot approximately 1000 round since in steel challenge and IPSIC with no failure to feeds so far, knock on wood. Gun is fun to shoot, accurate and steel goes down with one shot so far.

Looked at JP but price was not that different. Bought Wilson because I already own two of their pistols (38 super and 45 ACP) and service and help has been excellent.

Have a good shooting day and a better tomorrow.

Have the JP.  Out of the box it runs everything from my open gun rounds at 1.18 OAL down to powder puff rounds below minor PF.  Just wanted to see how low I could go and the gun still run.  I only tried the open rounds to see if they would feed and run, haven't ever used them again otherwise.  Doesn't matter the magazine either.

9 hours ago, Josht101 said:

shot one of the Wilson's today side by side with my GMR13.  Wilson had considerably less recoil.  Seems to have flatwire spring and H3 buffer.  Anyone know if it's a Tubbs? Also is it an AR-10 or AR-15 spring?

Hello: That is very interesting since some of the guys here have shot both and said the JP shot with less recoil than the Wilson Combat with Glock mags? That was with stock Silent buffer setup in the JP. Tune the Silent buffer to your loads and it even shoots softer. I have not shot a Wilson Combat AR 9mm yet.  Thanks, Eric

On 3/27/2017 at 7:59 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: That is very interesting since some of the guys here have shot both and said the JP shot with less recoil than the Wilson Combat with Glock mags? That was with stock Silent buffer setup in the JP. Tune the Silent buffer to your loads and it even shoots softer. I have not shot a Wilson Combat AR 9mm yet.  Thanks, Eric

I ordered the flat wire spring that they are using in the Wilson and going to try a heavy buffer and see what happens there. Going to also get the spring builder pack and play with the SCS some more

• 3 weeks later...

I have one, close to 1K rounds, all kinds of ammo

ZERO issues and love the hell out of it, mine has the 9" barrel and I run it suppressed most of the time.

Killed a few hogs with the 135g Hornady Critical Duy and I trust it enough it is beside my bed.

I have had the WIlson Combat AR9G 14.7" Fluted Barrel PCC for a couple of months now.  Initially I had some issues with G33 mags with Aredondo extensions which I finally traced to a weak spring in the 33 rounders.  Not enough when you add the extension.  Since installing Taylor Freelance extended springs I've had no issues with premature lock back or failures to feed.  I've recently also got the TF 41+ extension and it has worked great too.  Works flawless with G17 and Aredondo extensions (24 rounds).

Very accurate, trigger is GREAT (despite reports otherwise).  I've tried 3 optics on it, Bushnell TRS25, Holosun 515C (C stands for CRAP), and have settled on a Trijicon MRO.

Got my "B" classification with it at our last USPSA Classifier match.  Will be shooting it at Cowtown USPSA in Cresson in 2 weeks battling against the JP GMR-13 guys and a Tavor 9mm shooters (local shooters).  We'll see who comes out on top :P

wcar9_3s.jpg

So the trigger on today's Wilson is definitely not the same trigger I felt a year ago at their booth. The one I handled then had two very distinct stages in the pull and it was possible to induce trigger freeze if you didn't allow the trigger to reset properly. The one I felt yesterday felt like a single stage. Day and night difference. Reset was very short and had a very crisp feel. If this is what Wilson is now putting out, other than it being curved (personal preference), I have no qualms about their trigger. 

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody have one or use one?
Worth the money?
Thinking about getting one and shooting pcc

I held BJ Norris' Wilson AR9 yesterday that uses Glock mags. It looks to me exactly like the NFA lower than has been machined to remove the hard corners. I'd bet money NFA makes it and if anything, Wilson probably just finishes it to their cosmetic design.

I love the look of it, but I watched it absolutely puke on two stages for him today at the World Speed Shooting Championship, as it had several stoppages. I have no idea if it was ammo related or what, but the rifle did him no favors today, and even I almost beat him! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, learned a hard lesson at the USPSA Cowtown Match over this weekend about assuming too much about ammo selection and reliability. grumble.gif

I have never had any failures of any kind with a multitude of ammo I've fired through my AR9G. With standard Glock mags or Glock 17 mags with Arredondo extensions. Once I got Taylor Freelance springs and the 41 extension, I've never had a failure with any ammo using those also.

So I have typically shot 124gr FMJ ammo previously when using my AR9G at matches, but decided to try some 147gr when I zero'd my Trijicon MRO for this match. They all worked great on the bench and were very accurate. I settled on the Winchester Train and Defend 147gr TC FMJ ammo because it was superbly accurate (5 shots covered by a nickle at 22 yds).

First stage at Cowtown, 41 mag loaded up with this ammo and it was disastrous. Bang Bang jam, clear, bang bang jam, clear, bang bang jam - shot the entire stage that way. Well crap, maybe that mag is bad (never failed before). Changed mags for stage 2. Same thing - bang bang jam etc. Well my match is ruined now - great. So I bummed some 115gr factory ammo off of friends (CCI Blazer Aluminum, Aguilla 115gr and Winchester 115gr White Box). Hmm, no more problems. (Another lesson learned ALWAYS HAVE FACTORY AMMO backup for full round count at matches + 50)

Who would have guessed? FACTORY 147gr Winchester ammo was not satisfactory to run my AR9G. Lesson learned. Test ALL ammo to be used by doing a full mag dump as fast as you can pull the trigger or don't use it. Never assume, just because it fires fine when target shooting it will work in a match.

That ammo chrono'd at the match at just under 1000 fps. Out of my 14.7" AR9G, so it is truly puny. Box advertises 950 fps at the muzzle for a pistol.

Now it's relegated to my Walther PPQ rofl.gif

The upside was getting to say Hi to Mandy, complaining she didn't bring an EDC X9 for me to try, but promising to bring one to Texas State in 3 weeks. dope.gif