Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are you guys carrying your gear?

huafist

This has probably been asked to death, and if so, I apologize. A search didn't uncover a lot of useful info for me. That being said...

How are you guys carrying your gear at the range - specifically, ammo? I really don't like the idea of having 5 different ammo cans. My son & I are new to 3 gun, our first match will be this coming month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by huafist

i normally load up my AR mags at home, enough for the whole match in various configurations (ie a long range mag with 75g; buncha blaster mags with 55, maybe a coupled mag with 55 and 75).  then i bring 25-50 round boxes of other ammo - pistol, shotgun, all in my large range bag which generally rides in my converted baby stroller.

Larger ammo cans in the car, with a small bags of 223 / 9mm in the gun bag.  Only carry as much as I think I will use before going back to the car.  Normally I won't make a trip back during a local match. I may during a major when they have us driving to different areas of the range.

i use a 2 rifle bag/backpack to carry shotgun and rifle. A 5.11 range bag for handgun and all ammo. My local matches arent ridiculously huge so I only carry 150rds pistol rds, 50 shotgun shells and 9 AR mags. Most have wagons or jogging strollers but I don't fine with the backpack and carry bag

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, racknrider said:

Wagon, buggy, stroller, back of the car. lots of options, just depends on the match. Welcome to 3gun, kiss your disposable income goodbye.

THIS

Depending on the terrain at the match and which vehicle I'm taking, I haul stuff around in a Rugged Gear cart or a modified Harbor Freight welding cart. The HF cart has 21" bicycle wheels and is great for rocky areas.

To carry ammo, I load up the magazines the night before.  For additional ammo, I use three Ikea plastic boxes. One for 9mm ammo (holds over 200 rds but I usually load it with less to conserve weight) and two for rifle shells. The boxes come in different colors.  Blue is for 9mm, white is for hoser .223, and green is for the 77 gr long distance stuff.

WP_20161031_003[1].jpg

I use the emdom split ammo sacs. They hold a lot of ammo and are easy to carry (if you get the shoulder strap), plus they are divided down the middle so I can carry rifle and pistol ammo in the same bag. I have another one for shotgun ammo that has birdshot in one side and slugs/buckshot in the other. Highly recommend them. http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-Split-Ammo-SAC-p/eu149a.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jogging stroller with ATV gun mounts clamped to the sides. 

Ammo - rifle and pistol in the main compartment with the range bag, shotgun underneath.

When my son or sons are with me it's two strollers.  

the bad thing with the wagons is that your guns are rolling around muzzling everyone and ditto, or at least more potential for, muzzling while putting on or taking off.

the jogging strollers, with guns roughly at 45 degrees, lessen this likelihood due to the vertical angles.  $20 or so used on craigslist then add the gun brackets etc.

I use a Safariland 3 gun case for my guns and loaded mags. I preload the mags the day before, and only loaded mags go into this bag. It also holds chokes and chamber flags, but basically nothing else. 

I have small screw-top containers to hold the day's pistol and rifle ammo. Shotgun shells stay in factory boxes. My ammo, spare mags, eyes, ears, food, water, and some tools and spare parts ride in a backpack to each stage. 

In the truck is a large bag with the rarely-needed rifle mags, more parts and tools, and so on. Plus ammo cans of 223, 9mm, and a case of birdshot and lots of slugs. You can never have to much ammo. 

I bought an off road cart from amazon for about $40.  The only problem I've run into is I had to cut material out of the ATV gun racks as they have a diamond shape and I needed to make them square to sit on the bars properly.  It's done a full season of 3 gun and seems to be going strong.

I went to from being way over OCD about round counts and carrying individual ammo boxes to just using these http://www.tuffproducts.com/4097-tuff-3-gun-ammo-bag-set-of-3/ 

4097-BRB-2__84755.1443043165.1280.1280.j

I put all 3 in a large plastic ammo can to carry on my cart if raining, on good dry days just lay them on top of my range bag withing the cart. I really like that I can keep the corresponding mag loader in the pistol/rifle (Red/Blue) ammo bag so it's always there when I need it. In the shotgun (Black) bag there is plenty of room for shells plus throwing in my extra caddies when not needed. I preload a couple of pistol and rifle mags prior to leaving home and usually have 200 pistol, 200 rifle and 125 shot shell in bags. I carry heavy shot, slugs and buckshot in the bottom of my range bag or ammo can as needed for the match.

Edited by Boxerglocker

• 4 weeks later...

I use a 3gun bag from Midway to transport to the range then move everything to a Rugged Gear stroller. I load up all magazines and caddies the night before and put them with spare boxes of ammo in a 5.11 range bag in the stroller. I was carrying everything in the 3 gun bag at first but since getting the stroller moving between stages has been much better.  

• 2 months later...