Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag jammed to high

tedahlenius85

Okay, so I've only had my gun for a week and this really bothers me. Will take it to the vendor in a couple of days, but wanted to see if any clever dude here knows what this problem is about;

When insering a mag in when slide is locked back, the mag gets all the way upp and stops in the ejector. It gets jammed upp at the magwell (xtreme basepads) and back of mag at the top get in front of the "wall" where fp strikes and bottom of the cases sit. So slide wont release either. Has to pull/wiggle the magasine out while slide is still locked back so it doesnt make extra push on the mag forward.

(its a small frame)

jammed mag.jpg

This is why most 2011 shooters have magazines that don't lock the slide back after the last round. Pretty normal occurrence when slamming a mag into a open slide.

This bothers me coming from a shadow. When your slide locked up after last round you could always just slam a new mag in and that would close the slide without any problems. I could live with slide not released by inserting new mag, but now it gets jammed and possibility for loosing lots of time on a stage having to fix the issue.

6 minutes ago, tedahlenius85 said:

This bothers me coming from a shadow. When your slide locked up after last round you could always just slam a new mag in and that would close the slide without any problems. I could live with slide not released by inserting new mag, but now it gets jammed and possibility for loosing lots of time on a stage having to fix the issue.

Plan your stages so you're not shooting to slide lock. Of course if you're shooting IDPA, you pretty much have to shoot to slide lock. When I was shooting USPSA with a pistol that locked the slide after the last round, I figured that if I went to slide lock it was a stage planning (or lack thereof) error. Shooting to empty (or slide lock) is always a loss of time so plan accordingly.

Edited by Bkreutz

I've never had a problem with my Stock 2 small frame, got lots of room left actually. I'm running the standard baseplates with screwed on rubberpads. Works like a charm, even thou I'm getting tired of the screws when cleaning magazines between the stages. I'ts my basepads that keep me from inserting  my magazine any further, dunno what would happen without them to be honest :)

20161030_122901.jpg

Plan your stages so you're not shooting to slide lock. Of course if you're shooting IDPA, you pretty much have to shoot to slide lock. When I was shooting USPSA with a pistol that locked the slide after the last round, I figured that if I went to slide lock it was a stage planning (or lack thereof) error. Shooting to empty (or slide lock) is always a loss of time so plan accordingly.

Planning of stages is one thing, but sometimes you make up a bad shot or two and goes to slidelock. Even if it only happens on rare occations, when the gun actually goes to slidelock I dont want to have major problems with a mag jammed up in the gun.

Then I guess your only option is to buy a gun that doesn't do this. I think it has to do with where the basepad is located. If you're using hi cap mags that have extended tubes then there is nothing to stop the mag from jamming into the ejector. On the other hand, hi cap mags that have the basepad that contacts the grip don't do this. (like a M&P). Sounds like you got used to reloading a certain way with a pistol that had no problem "slam loading" on an open slide but you've changed platforms to a gun that won't tolerate this. You're either going to have to re-learn your reloading technique or change platforms. I don't know of any way to change this platform trait.

Edit: You might play around with some sort of "stop" that fits onto the mag body. Like a tight rubber ring. Just a thought, might work.

Edited by Bkreutz

Then I guess your only option is to buy a gun that doesn't do this. I think it has to do with where the basepad is located. If you're using hi cap mags that have extended tubes then there is nothing to stop the mag from jamming into the ejector. On the other hand, hi cap mags that have the basepad that contacts the grip don't do this. (like a M&P). Sounds like you got used to reloading a certain way with a pistol that had no problem "slam loading" on an open slide but you've changed platforms to a gun that won't tolerate this. You're either going to have to re-learn your reloading technique or change platforms. I don't know of any way to change this platform trait.

Edit: You might play around with some sort of "stop" that fits onto the mag body. Like a tight rubber ring. Just a thought, might work.

It seems you think it should be this way? I dont. Since I know other with same gun and theirs doesnt do this. I dont think mags are supposed to go this high up in this model and keep slide from beeing able to released forward again.

I think a 1mm longer cut i the slide where the slidestops catches would correct the problem. That would make the slide to lock 1mm forward and mags would not be able to get in front and in the way of the slide.

3 hours ago, tedahlenius85 said:

It seems you think it should be this way? I dont. Since I know other with same gun and theirs doesnt do this. I dont think mags are supposed to go this high up in this model and keep slide from beeing able to released forward again.

I think a 1mm longer cut i the slide where the slidestops catches would correct the problem. That would make the slide to lock 1mm forward and mags would not be able to get in front and in the way of the slide.

I don't think it should be this way, I'm just saying that it is this way. My slide doesn't lock back after the last round because of the followers that I use. I also don't know of any of my fellow open division competitors pistols that go to slide lock. The reason is because in the heat of the moment, it's real easy to insert the mag too hard and jam the slide. We just don't take the chance.

1 hour ago, tedahlenius85 said:

This is with factory basepads, since the s2x comes with Xtreme basepads.

You know anyone who may have the standard version of the base pads? Just to try and eliminate one factor. Same problem with all magazines ? Do you have the longer or shorter mag release button? Does a standard unmodified cz magazine work without a problem ? 

You know anyone who may have the standard version of the base pads? Just to try and eliminate one factor. Same problem with all magazines ? Do you have the longer or shorter mag release button? Does a standard unmodified cz magazine work without a problem ? 

I do not have any standard basepads available right now. Its the same problem with all mags. Apparently they had this problem from factory some time ago but fixed it with a heavier mag catch spring, since the mag doesnt hang up on the catch when slammed in. Maybe thats the case for me too. But I still think renoving just a small amount on the slide (0.5mm or so) where slide stop catches the slide would solve the problem.

I am waiting for Tanfoglio to respond until I do something crazy.

Changing basepads to ones that definitely stops at magwell is another easy solution I guess. Haven't tried CZ mags yet since I sold all mine along with the previous guns.

If you insert the mag with a normal/moderate amount of force and thumb the slide stop (instead of driving it home with the hope of the slide auto-forwarding) does the gun function 100%?

I'm not saying you should change the way you handle your gun because I'm a firm believer in making your equipment suit you, I'm just curious how easily this happens.

If you insert the mag with a normal/moderate amount of force and thumb the slide stop (instead of driving it home with the hope of the slide auto-forwarding) does the gun function 100%?

I'm not saying you should change the way you handle your gun because I'm a firm believer in making your equipment suit you, I'm just curious how easily this happens.

With "normal" force seating the mag works great. Thats not the problem. The equipment should work the way its supposed to work. And its not supposed to be able to jam a mag in just cause you add a little more force seating the mag with slide locked. Just trying to figure out the problem.

After lots of mags beeing seated with and without locked slide last light, it became a little better. Now I am able to release the mag with slidestop when mag beeing stuck. Atleast 9 out of 10 times. The slide now rocks the mag loose and in to the right position beeing caught by the mag catch.

I only asked because I tried yesterday and couldn't duplicate with my Stock 3. Perhaps, as others mentioned, the non-EGD pads don't allow it to rise far enough.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-witness-large-frame-9mm-17rd-afc-magazine-oe.html

That's the mag / basepad I currently have.

Keep us posted on what fixes this!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The issue is the magazine can be over inserted with that basepad combination.

The same issue used to happen with the old Henning base pads.

Either switch to stock base pads, Springer's (what I use), or Hennings New ones, or shockbottle. Basically anything other than those POS extreme.

5 hours ago, tedahlenius85 said:

I do not have any standard basepads available right now. Its the same problem with all mags. Apparently they had this problem from factory some time ago but fixed it with a heavier mag catch spring, since the mag doesnt hang up on the catch when slammed in. Maybe thats the case for me too. But I still think renoving just a small amount on the slide (0.5mm or so) where slide stop catches the slide would solve the problem.

I am waiting for Tanfoglio to respond until I do something crazy.

Changing basepads to ones that definitely stops at magwell is another easy solution I guess. Haven't tried CZ mags yet since I sold all mine along with the previous guns.

Alright. I've heard that some tanfoglios may differ in the length of the grip, not by much of course, but enough to be forced to use a fine grit sandpaper on the top of the base pads to seat the mags correctly. While others works perfectly fine. CZ shadow magazines are just a bit shorter than the ones from tanfoglio, an easy fix could be to use CZ magazines. CZ shadow and sphinx for example works fine with my tanfoglio magazines. My tanfoglio locks up fine with CZ magazines while using the shorter mag release, but not the longer one. Pull out the magazine release and inspect how it locks up the magazine, you should not be able to slam it in any futher, otherwise your mag release may have a problem.