Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noble sport prima V, the best for 9???

Superpipe9

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

Link to that deal? I'm not seeing it on their web site.

That deal might have ended.  I was lucky enough to grab 10 pounds of Prima V with this deal.  $178 for 11 pounds of excellent powder is one smoking good deal.  I really like the Prima V; clean burning and fills a 9mm case much more than Titegroup.  For 9mm 3.2 grains with a Blue Bullet 135 at 1.10 was excellent in my CZ SP01.

19 minutes ago, kbeck76 said:

That deal might have ended.  I was lucky enough to grab 10 pounds of Prima V with this deal.  $178 for 11 pounds of excellent powder is one smoking good deal.  I really like the Prima V; clean burning and fills a 9mm case much more than Titegroup.  For 9mm 3.2 grains with a Blue Bullet 135 at 1.10 was excellent in my CZ SP01.

What power factor does that give you and how is the accuracy? I'm using 3.5gr and getting 135pf with the blue 135 at 1.145 OAL 

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

What power factor does that give you and how is the accuracy? I'm using 3.5gr and getting 135pf with the blue 135 at 1.145 OAL 

Accuracy was good but I didn't have a chronograph set up so I'm not sure what velocity I was getting.  I could have went to OAL 1.15 with the 135 in my CZ SP01 but my PSA AR-9 has an even shorter throat so I had to go to 1.10 for OAL.  The recoil was very soft but didn't have any problem cycling either my SP01 or the AR.

I really like Prima V; we need to tone down the praise before everyone else buys it all up.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread, I may try it. 

Started using wsf, then switched to titegroup, then to N320. I like the 320 but if I can use this for the same results I'd try it. 

I'm also shooting a SP-01 Shadow. 

18 hours ago, B_RAD said:

You guys just work up loads based on similar burn rates?  I don't see any load data for anything other than SG for this powder. 

Based my load (3.0gr and a 150gr SWC) on the data coming from this forum with the chronograph results of others.

Seach the 9mm forum for "prima V" with the advanced search, you will several people have posted 124 and 147 recipes with chronograph data.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 hours ago, ArrDave said:

B_Rad This stuff is pretty good man.  I recommend it highly. Load data is basically interchangeable with titegroup. 

I'm gonna buy some. Hoping maybe to find someone who'll lower the hazmat fee without having to buy a lot. I want to try it before buying 10 lbs. 

I'm finally shooting chronoing and shooting 200 rounds of it tomorrow. Quite excited to see how it compares to Ramshot Comp - which I picked up at an early "this is great!" suggested phase from members here... and of which I'm not a fan.

Hopefully Prima V will deliver what RS Comp didn't.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:49 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm finally shooting chronoing and shooting 200 rounds of it tomorrow. Quite excited to see how it compares to Ramshot Comp - which I picked up at an early "this is great!" suggested phase from members here... and of which I'm not a fan.

Hopefully Prima V will deliver what RS Comp didn't.

Lookign forward tonhear your results. 

I got my powder in today.  Wow.... fast shipping for $7.95.

Going to load up some ammo this weekend.  

Okay. I switched to Solo1000 because it was "clean and soft" back in the day. Fairly soft?yes. Smoky when shot.

But gun still filthy when shot.

I switched to WST. Same thing.

Switched to Ramshot Comp. Same thing.

So I've stopped listening when the internet guys proclaim "this is so much cleaner than N320!!"

But honestly? Holy jelly, this stuff burns clean. It is as smoky as clays/WST/Solo1000 as far as what comes out of the muzzle behind a coated bullet.

But the gun? This is after 250 rounds at an indoor range with a 150gr Bayou bullet:

IMG_2623.JPG

Regarding recoil impulse, well my baseline is 5,000 rounds of 135gr with WST and Ramshot Comp under them, and I'd say I'm now 5-10% softer. You can tell the difference when firing into the berm feeling only the recoil impulse, but you'd never notice it when running drills or during a match.

(I also switched from 135s to a 147grain bullet so this is already an apple-to-oranges scenario.)

Its clean. It's consistent. It's soft. I'm happy.

Chrono results. I tried two different OALs:

150gr Bayou SWC (weigh 147gr)

3.0gr Prima V

CCI #500 primer

1.165" OAL

5" poly-rifled barrel (Tanfoglio Stock 3)

50 degrees farenheit

888.6875 FPS avg. 

130.6 PF

10.98 SD

38 FPS ES