Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 primer issue

After 2+ years of no real problems, all of a sudden I have started to get primers that are pushed in sideways. WW brand.

At first I found one in a box of 50. Yesterday I found 4 out of 24 in the loaded cartridge bin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Howards

First, clean everything around the primer assembly.  Make sure that the primer assembly is indexing all the way.  If not you may have to change out some springs.

Second, with the shellplate empty, fully operate the ram and make sure that the primer seater is indexing perfectly to the center of the shellpate in station 2.  If not, you can adjust the amount of index by adjusting the block that the ring indexer rides on which is located on the left side of the press.

Did you switch from large to small primer and forget to change the magazine tube?

Edit: Actually, I believe I had a similar issue earlier this year, and powder residue had built up under the shell plate and it wasn't snapping into the detente properly each time when indexing. 

A good cleaning and lube fixed it.

Edited by TDA

• 4 months later...

Finally solved it.

After checking everything that was mentioned I called Dillon. (I waited a while so the guys who  got a press for Christmas and were having problems could call in with their questions.) Talked with them, all obvious points were mentioned and checked. Couldn't find anything that was out of place, alignment, etc. So..

I started loading as per usual, but at first checking every cartridge at the powder check station, then every 5th, then every 20th. No problem. Then In realized I was taking plenty of time with the checking, so I ran a batch of 50. All good.

I finally caught on-I was going to fast. Not that I was in a hurry to load a lot of cartridges, but with a 650, when you hit a rhythm, it's so easy to go fast, fast, faster.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards,

Howard

9 hours ago, hwevers said:

Finally solved it.

After checking everything that was mentioned I called Dillon. (I waited a while so the guys who  got a press for Christmas and were having problems could call in with their questions.) Talked with them, all obvious points were mentioned and checked. Couldn't find anything that was out of place, alignment, etc. So..

I started loading as per usual, but at first checking every cartridge at the powder check station, then every 5th, then every 20th. No problem. Then In realized I was taking plenty of time with the checking, so I ran a batch of 50. All good.

I finally caught on-I was going to fast. Not that I was in a hurry to load a lot of cartridges, but with a 650, when you hit a rhythm, it's so easy to go fast, fast, faster.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards,

Howard

Then you have bench movement somewhere. I can load at a rate of 1200 an hour with no mechanical issues. Much faster than that and I have problems with brass falling too slow to keep up but primers are always there and right side up.

:)

You aren't crazy.  I've recently started getting some sideways ones as well with my Dillon 650.  I recently switched from 9mm to .45 and honestly can't remember which one I was doing when I got the sideways ones.  I think it was 9mm, in which case it was Winchester primers.  And before the 9mm, the machine was torn all the way down, cleaned and lubed; then again before the .45

I've always had a 0.5 - 1% complete upside-down primer on .45, with every brand of primer.  I've lived with it for ten years, and still haven't figured out the pattern as to when it could be doing that or why.  I do know that at least some of them were not the first or last to be loaded into the tube.

At least with the sideways ones, I feel it, and pull the case, and reprime it.  With the upside-downs, you don't find them until inspection, or when you get the "poof!" and smoke coming out of the breech... :)

Edited by MAC702

I've loaded both Winchester and CCI primers on my 650, the only primers that end up sideways are the Winchesters.  I don't do anything different (loading speed, primer pickup method, etc.) when loading with one or the other.  I suspect there's a slight tolerance difference between the two, my VibraPrime loads the CCIs fine, Winchester not so much- I get a sideways or tilted primer blocking the tube.

Currently where I buy they are priced the same, so I just pickup the CCIs, as my guns don't require a Winny primer to ignite the charge.

Edited by muncie21

The problem is from time to time there are win primers with out of spec cups that are not quite round. These oval cups cause issues in primer feeders and on the press. I now just use fed and cannot remember the last time I had a primer issue (spp and srp). 

Also check to make sure the primer assembly is not coming apart.  It is a pressed together unit.  The ram should be flush with the top.  I had a couple back off and the ram was below flush and primers were flipping.

To fix one that is coming apart you just need a vise or something to press it back together.

Nick