Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Hillbilly fix

You know how the calm shell shovel primer catcher sometimes spits primers, and primer guts, all over the place? Yea, well here is my prototype primer debris containment shield, cardboard, will finalize with sheet metal. Especially deflects right throws. And keeps them off the primer slide shelf.

image37463.jpg

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 8:29 PM, 9x45 said:

You know how the calm shell shovel primer catcher sometimes spits primers, and primer guts, all over the place? Yea, well here is my prototype primer debris containment shield, cardboard, will finalize with sheet metal. Especially deflects right throws. And keeps them off the primer slide shelf.

image37463.jpg

Looks nice, the idea has been out there for a long time. I was going to use duct tape, but I'm busy or lazy and never got to it. Since your going to do the hard part, I will have to go the sheet metal route, soon as you perfect it.

Ok good I just couldn't tell. I used a piece of 14 gauge copper wire and works really well.

And since you're building sheet metal parts, you could always add a tube and funnel to the bottom of it so you'd never have to pull it out. Kinda like the plastic one uniquetek makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up the Bob Chute for the 550 - works reasonably well, the tube included seemed a bit short compared to the Level 10 one I put on the 1050, but it was just long enough.  It didn't include any clamping item for the tube to attache to the base of the chute/funnel, which was annoying.  I remedied it with a zip tie, but for the cost you'd think they would have included something, for instance the L10 item included a spring clamp.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for gravedigging, but a suggestion for you - if you make it out of sheet metal, just design in to be placed inside the cup.  You make it long enough it should be a friction fit and you won't have to worry about taping it to the outside.

Done something similar to my own 550. 

Mine looks like your revision A at this time. : ) but since you were going to do it with sheet metal I simply suggested you put it in the inside.  Basically take your revision A picture, elongate it then put it inside your cup.  No need to tape it to the outside.  Think of it like an insert.

I have since moved on from that project as I think I am realizing that my problem (and I suspect a lot of other people's problem) is that my decapper pin is decapping brass with such force it either misses the clamshell bucket or bounces out of it (not an issue of the clamshell staying locked open - if only I can get a dollar for every time I read "change the pivot pin" :o).  I either have to fabricate a new clamshell bucket or tape "wings on it" to extend as I have done now.

I have my decapping pin seated very low, since the last few years I have been picking up brass that is hard to decap for some reason.  Adjusting the decapper upwards to relieve pressure does not work since it will sometimes not deprime used brass.

Talking to myself about this just now, I am wondering if I need to try a new decapping pin or perhaps it has something to do with my 550 Case feeder setup which is when this mess started to begin with I think...

clamshell .jpg

Edited by Sniperboy