Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to spin MGM vertical dual target ("spinner")

NicVerAZ

The target I am talking about is attached to this post.

Basically it consists of two round plates each at the end of an arm, the arm being hinged around a horizontal axis. The bottom plate is larger than the top plate.

Shooting this with minor PF 9mm, what would be the best technique to get this to fully spin?

I am thinking about shooting the bottom one first, then the top one when it starts spinning away from me, then the bottom on, aso.

But, at one point the arm is horizontal and I have to wait for it to swing back and be quick to shoot at the bottom one again, hope the top one will then go beyond the horizontal and that's when I am supposed to hit it, when it is presented at a very odd angle.

Is this a lost cause with a minor PF load? I am thinking about getting a box of commercial 9mm just for the stage or even borrowing someone's .40 limited gun.

Flip.PNG

Edited by NicVerAZ

sorry but these things just suck.  i absolutely love texas stars and polish/propeller plate racks.  i just hate having to sit around and wait to shoot at something.  It's "fair" in that everyone shoots the same target and has the same chance, but it's really not fun, at least for me, with the waiting and possibly "investing" 5 to 10 (or more) shots and not having it spin.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

It doesn't really matter which one you start with. What matters is not missing.

Yep, and it's all about timing in order to land those hits.  The real key that I have found is to remember to break the shot(s) BEFORE the paddle swings vertical.  The delay between the brain saying SHOOT! and the hammer falling is going to cause you to either miss entirely or land a hit at the end of the swing where it can do the least good.  I see a lot of guys shooting too late on spinners, especially when it's a rifle spinner.

Typically (with pistol) I'll doubletap the top plate, and try to double or triple the bottom as it swings back.  After that it's a double tap on the bottom and a single on the top until it goes over. 

Edited by Deathray

2 minutes ago, rondog said:

I am just going to shoot it top and bottom to top and bottom until I can get it to go around. Let's just go have fun on Saturday morning

Yes, now that I know how to call this POS by its true name.

I may bring a box of commercial ammo just to make sure it spins.

14 hours ago, davsco said:

sorry but these things just suck.  i absolutely love texas stars and polish/propeller plate racks.  i just hate having to sit around and wait to shoot at something.  It's "fair" in that everyone shoots the same target and has the same chance, but it's really not fun, at least for me, with the waiting and possibly "investing" 5 to 10 (or more) shots and not having it spin.

A buddy (GM) regularly shoots steel challenge plates over by hitting them fast.  Have you tried double and triple hits to get it started faster?

And, no.... I can't shoot them over.  but it's fun to watch.

Edited by johnbu

4 minutes ago, johnbu said:

A buddy (GM) regularly shoots steel challenge plates over by hitting them fast.  Have you tried double and triple hits to get it started faster?

And, no.... I can't shoot them over.  but it's fun to watch.

The point I have to make is that this is a rather technical target for new shooters.

Make what you want of it.

34 minutes ago, NicVerAZ said:

The point I have to make is that this is a rather technical target for new shooters.

Make what you want of it.

it's a stupid circus target, period. Good for practice, but lame for matches. I only shoot 1 match that uses them, and otherwise that match doesn't suck at all, so I put up with them.

The first key is to shoot major. The match we shoot them in is generally 1911 major only, so no problem there.

Second key is to shoot either top or bottom once, then at least 2 shots on the other. Make sure you get your hits while it is still swinging, preferable while it is accelerating before vertical. Done right, they usually take 5-6 shots, but it is easy to do them wrong and use several magazines and get frustrated and say naughty words. It can be invaluable to spend 100 rounds practicing with one at some point.

Last time I shot them (i think there 3 or 4 in the match), it was pretty obvious that most of the shooters didn't enjoy them at all and were frustrated and annoyed by them. I shot them just fine but I still think they are a stupid target to put in a match.

I only see them in 3 gun. I bring a box of 40 major just for pistol spinners, some 12g 1350 fps #6 for shotgun spinners, and use my long range 69g stuff for rifle. The worst part is standing there eating 10-20 seconds on one target. 

I've tried to make it spin with my 130PF 9mm ammo and it would take me 4 accurate shots on one plate in a row to get it to just initiate spin beyond 5 degrees.

I will need to get some white box and use a stronger recoil spring.

Edited by NicVerAZ

14 minutes ago, NicVerAZ said:

I've tried to make it spin with my 130PF 9mm ammo and it would take me 4 accurate shots on one plate in a row to get it to just initiate spin beyond 5 degrees.

i've only had to spin on once in a practice match in winter with 9mm gamer ammo and it took a buncha shots. It kinda hurt my feelings.

They are fun to practice on, however I don't care for targets or stage setups where the cost of failure is so high. The A-GM shooters all spun them fairly quickly (10-15 seconds), but the C shooters or people who just hadn't shot them before typically lost 60-90 seconds.

28 minutes ago, NicVerAZ said:

WWB 115gr was 141pf out of my Glock 34 a few years back. Just a random data point for you.

If you can find some factory 124 or 147 loads you'll be even better off.

This is why I love these targets so much, I enjoy the whining.  Also, having talent for these helps make up for my lack of talent elsewhere.  If you're having target problems, I feel bad for you son.  I've got 99 problems but a spinner ain't one.

Geco 124gr ammo is the commercial ticket for these targets if you're at a match without magnets.

Edited by Deathray

In this thread we find out who can shoot with finesse and not just speed.

Too difficult for new shooters: So the match should be geared only to the lowest common denominator?

It takes too much time: learn how to shoot it! Its not different then any other target system. But unlike most, the spinner requires the least amount of reset on any given stage.

I need special ammo: HAHAHAHAHAHAA. G34 with 115gr nothing special ammo.  In practice regularly it is 9 shots fired. At matches huffing and puffing it is 12-15shots.

I guess coming into shooting from 3gun has taught me how to be a better overall shooter then the pistol only guys.  I don't fear any target system nor waste time complaining about it.  Learn to shoot it.

I shoot them all the time with my 3 gun ammo that maybe makes minor with 124gr bullet. I start with 2 hits on the top, 2 hits on the bottom and then keep double tapping. It has been said already, but it is imperative that you get your hits. Some of the faster guys can triple or quad hit and then that thing really goes over quick. Personally, I love spinners and think they are fun. But then again, I love the circus and clown cars too.    

43 minutes ago, nguySBR1 said:

I guess coming into shooting from 3gun has taught me how to be a better overall shooter then the pistol only guys. 

heh heh, i lol'd.

8 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

Personally, I love spinners and think they are fun. But then again, I love the circus and clown cars too.    

i lol'd again.

I'm just glad they're not legal for USPSA matches. I love clown cars, but I'm not as good a pistol shooter as most 3-gun guys, so I prefer targets that suck less.

I was at the Ironman 3 Gun where these debuted.  We had to learn how to do it on the clock.  Sometimes multiple spinners per stage. Suck it up. 

Id rather shoot these than stars because they are self-resetting and more challenging.  

Heres my how to video.  If a 3 Gun Scrublord with no USPSA classification can do this consistently I'm not sure what the problem is.  

5 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

You know in our neck of the woods there is only 1 3 gun shooter that gives you fellas a run for your money in USPSA and he is a PCC shooter and motocross racer now. The rest of us just show up and shoot your walls.

I seem to remember he was a uspsa shooter when he still practiced...... Only took up those other sports when he got old. ;)

Edited by motosapiens