Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

popple holes and coated bullets

Sandbagger123

am shopping for a open gun. my current one is popple less and i run BBI in it without issue.  i want to try a popple holed one and stay with coated bullets as i have found them to be equivalent in my hands to FMJ.

a couple of people have told me that coated should not be used in combo with popple holes. the reason is that the holes scrape off some of the coated on the way down the barrel leading to build up in the comp and leading. 

So those that use coated and popple holes, have you found any truth to this? popples ok with coated?

I'm not sure the poppels are shaving lead, they may be flame cutting it like the comps do to some bullets.  I would be guided by the manufacturer.  One brand of coated that I really like definitely says not to use them on comp'd pistols.  They are right, because lead does build up on the baffles.  Other brands say it is just fine.  I shoot one brand the uses the Hi-Tek coating and I have no issues shooting them in a gun with two 3/16" poppels and a 4-chamber, 5-port comp.

there are plenty of guys shooting coated through open guns with popple holes. as always what is critical with coated lead is using the correct diameter bullet for the barrel and also ensuring the bullet is not being scraped or damaged during the handloading process. bear that in mind and you'll be fine. :)