Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I just bought a stock2

Nathanb

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

So as I was tinkering last night I had a thought. Has anyone approached polishing the mags and magwell for reloading assistance? I'm thinking it may be walking the line of legality and not return any gains

I've thought about polishing the magwell. 

Never done it.  Don't think it'd be illegal. 

Though, if it's really even possible and you could get it looking like wet chrome I bet you'd get questions thinking you removed material.  

18 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

That's where I'm going with it. Not sure how well it would shine or worth it. But I hadn't touched the blue magic for a bit and was starting to twitch

Do it and let us know how it works. 

I've always found 22.4 to be one of the most poorly worded rules in existence...

Does this say you can flare the well out 1/4" longer and wider than the mag body? Or that those are maximum dimensions?

How much beveling COULD you do before it was considered external? None? Anythingg not visible as viewed from the sides or top of the gun?

IMG_3168.PNG

40 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I've always found 22.4 to be one of the most poorly worded rules in existence...

Does this say you can flare the well out 1/4" longer and wider than the mag body? Or that those are maximum dimensions?

How much beveling COULD you do before it was considered external? None? Anythingg not visible as viewed from the sides or top of the gun?

IMG_3168.PNG

I read that to say you CAN make mods to the internal portion of the mag well. (e. g. flare)

The last sentence makes it seem like as long as you're not doing anything to the outside. 

Edited by B_RAD

56 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I read that to say you CAN make mods to the internal portion of the mag well. (e. g. flare)

The last sentence makes it seem like as long as you're not doing anything to the outside. 

That's the way I want to read things, too. I'm just not sure an RM at a major match will agree...

Someone post a photo of their Tanfo's magwell so I can attach it to the email I'm sending to DNROI for a definitive ruling - in writing.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I will let you know what reply I receive. Based on the DNROI reply in this, I think flaring it is legal:

My email:

"To: dnroi@uspsa.org

Section 22.4 is somewhat ambiguous in it's wording. It seems to indicate that as long as the opening isn't enlarged more than 1/4" away from the body of the magazine in any direction, *mild* flaring of the magwell on a metal-framed gun with a file is permitted.

By extension, polishing that surface would be permitted as well. 

Is this a correct interpretation? Our local RM isn't certain.

The sticking point appears to be the word "external" whenever I discuss this...

Does the rule perhaps refer to the frame of the gun being factory profiled as viewed from the sides, front, and rear? What is used to determine if work is External, and therefore put a gun into Open division?"

I don't want to polish the frame.

I want to carve it like Thanksgiving turkey. So it looks like the post from the Sig group that is linked. A 1/8" thick flat ridge left all the way around, the rest of the magwell angled inward at 30+ degrees...

(My gun isn't hard chromed, and is getting cerakoted)

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don't want to polish the frame.

I want to carve it like Thanksgiving turkey. So it looks like the post from the Sig group that is linked. A 1/8" thick flat ridge left all the way around, the rest of the magwell angled inward at 30+ degrees...

(My gun isn't hard chromed, and is getting cerakoted)

I want to bevel my magwell too. 

On a side note, I recently decided to have a go at Production again and got a new Stock 2.  I'v never owned a Tanfo and the maiden voyage is in a couple hours so I'm hoping all goes well.  The only thing I really want to add, having only played with it at home, is a fiber front sight.  Beautiful gun and it fits me great though.

18 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

The Sig carving is a bit much. You would be working for a while on steel unless you used a mean file or a decent grit wheel on a dremel.

Oh if it's approved per DNROI...

That letter is getting laminated and kept in my range bag. And this thing is getting carved up like Thanksgiving turkey

I want my Tanfo scratched to hell and hopefully rusty in a place or two in a few years. I actively dislike pretty guns, so mine can be the guinea pig.

Iffffff they say it's okay.