Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier training tips

Lhelliott

Comparing hit factors across different stages isn't a valid measure of how you shot any given stage.

What classifier and what division? 2.85 on El-Presidente with and open gun ain't great, 2.85 on Long Range Standards with a revolver ain't half bad.

Most classifiers are a test of gun handling skills. Improve your draw and reload and your classifier scores will generally improve commensurately.

All the classifiers are available from USPSA or here on Enos. If you want to get good at them, set them up and dry fire them, work the skills that need improvement, then validate in live fire. The classifier calculators will let you know how well you did.

Unfortunately, your classification doesn't always equate to your match finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was on High Standards I'm not sure how that stage compares to other classifiers. Before starting USPSA I had never been to concerned shooting one handed especially with my weak hand so I know that is something ill have to start practicing. I have recently started doing more draw and reload practicing at home but weak hand dry fire and transferring is something I'm defiantly going to start practicing too. 

My $0.02:

Don't train for or practice classifiers.  Train your skills:  draw, reload, transitions, grip, sight focus, shot calling, stage planning, etc...and progress naturally.  You can (and i've done it) practice el prez every dry fire and every live fire session and then next match shoot it above your current "skill level", which could put you in a class you won't be competitive in.  

Practice the fundamentals and your classifier scores will go up.  

As for shooting SHO/WHO...the advice i was given and believe in:  practice it enough to be comfortable with it, but it's not as important as all the other skills (skills that you use every match, every stage).  

Edited by uewpew
grammar check...

• 2 months later...

Set up classifiers and shoot the smokes out of them. A stage is nothing more than a series of classifiers that you move to and shoot. 

Of course you should also DRYFIRE your skills, ....... I like Andersons first book. Stoeger's stuff is good too, real good  

When I started 12 years ago, there was this angst about practicing classifiers.  Generally, most thought it to be bad form, myself included. Now, I say shoot the piss out of them and DRYFIRE the piss out of them.  Things will work out one way or the other. Progression in this sport is not linear. I do not know of any competitor that followed some linear progression, whereas their skill level and classification perfectly matched their match finishes. 

Who gives a fat baby crap about that anyway?   I've been called everything under the sun, sandbagger, grandbagger, blah, blah blah....it'll balance out eventually, or you'll burn out. 

The point is to figure what you want and do it.  You have to have serious classifier skills to be a GM.  You ain't getting them magically. 

Practice that stuff. It's a no brainer. 

Edited by Chris iliff