Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

side-charging 9mm AR upper

I will be the first to admit I am not an AR expert, and frankly the massive volume of stuff on the internet is confusing me--so I hope somebody can help me out here. 

I just bought a new PSA 9mm lower that takes Glock mags, and I would like to purchase a compatible side-charging complete 9mm upper.  Does anybody sell a complete upper that will function with the PSA lower?  If not, what would I need to put one together?     

Gibbz makes a great one.  I have exactly what you are referring to. A PSA lower with a Gibbz upper in 9mm.

Don't ever shoot it though since I got my MPX

If you want to build one, all you need is the upper, barrel and hand guard.  No gas system is needed.

You will need a bolt and recoil spring system too.  Be careful when buying the bolt.  There are two styles.  One for Glock Mags and one for Colt style Mags.  It is not that hard to get a Colt style mag to run with Glock mags.  But you need to know what you are doing.

Edited by Bigsampson

Recently got a PSA 9mm lower for Glock magazines.  They have not had the uppers in stock for a long time so I planned on building one to my own specs.

Before I could locate all the parts I found  a shop in Louisiana  that had the PSA uppers in stock.  A few dollars  more than ordering direct, but at least I had it in hand in only a few days.

Turns out to be a nice package.

Once I get the gun broke in and figure what spare parts I need to keep it running, I'll replace the upper with a side charger.  I have one on a match rifle and feel it's a good addition.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Check out a matrix arms side charger. No special bolt needed. Pick your bolt, JP, Spinta Precision, Kaw Valley. If you order from Joe Bob's, first order a Kaw Valley Barrel, it will then give you the option of a discounted upper. Saves you 20 bucks. Been very happy with mine. 

0160909_135545_2.jpg

I have a JP GMR-13 upper with the PSC-11 and a .223 AR with the same upper receiver (dual charger) as well as a Gibbz upper. 

I highly recommend the JP. The Gibbz is different and I do like it....but....they Cerakote their uppers. And the example I have the finish is chipping off.

Then I tried for weeks to contact them and was ignored. Never did get ahold of them. I am big about customer service. So I can not recommend them based on their lack of dealing with the issue.

16 hours ago, DBChaffin said:

Bryan,

Do you have one of these? Does it work well? I'm like Carmoney I have a PSA Glock lower awaiting the Form 1 to return and was going to order the PSA 7.5" complete upper for $400 but they have been out of stock for months. In the meantime been thinking about a side charging upper but this is $350 more than the PSA. Looks like you can buy each component at Joe Bob Outfitters except the barrel for less.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for pointing out this upper and hope you have some experience with it you can share.

Mickey K

7 hours ago, Carmoney said:

No SBRs in Iowa, unless I renew my Class III license again.  

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and wasn't aware of law in Iowa, either.   I am not aware of any others.  I wonder if Matrix would consider doing a longer barrel?  They sell longer hand guards and such.

6 hours ago, surgdog said:

Bryan,

Do you have one of these? Does it work well? I'm like Carmoney I have a PSA Glock lower awaiting the Form 1 to return and was going to order the PSA 7.5" complete upper for $400 but they have been out of stock for months. In the meantime been thinking about a side charging upper but this is $350 more than the PSA. Looks like you can buy each component at Joe Bob Outfitters except the barrel for less.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for pointing out this upper and hope you have some experience with it you can share.

Mickey K

Unfortunately, I don't.   From what I have read, the reviews are generally pretty positive.  For example, see here:   https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/696560_Side_charging_uppers_for_9mm.html

I've been thinking about one though.   Just can't decide if I am going to pull the trigger, pun intended, or go another route.

Oh, and you forgot the "t".  It's Bryant, but you are certainly not the first to do that.

Edited by DBChaffin

The knowledge you can get reading through the forums.  

For tools, you will need something to hold the upper receiver.  From reading elsewhere, the typical clam shell holder can be used but may need a little modification to clear the charging handle.  The one side charging upper I put together was for .223.  It would not fit my clam shell but instead of wasting time, I modified a couple pieces of wood to hold the upper in the vise.  

You will also need an AR barrel wrench and a torque wrench to do it right.

• 3 months later...

To make an update I no longer would recommend the Matrix arms side charger. I have had the actual rod that moves the charger break. No big deal stuff happens, contacted matrix and got a new rod, easy installation. But in less than 200 hundred rounds I had it again break. This is with factory 115 grain ammo, jp bolt and SCS. I am now concerned with the actual reliability of the system. As much as I loved the feature I am going to swap over to a traditional charging handle for reliability sake. Just my experience. 

right now I am running a New Frontier side charger and I do like it a lot. Seems that they are fast becoming unicorns in that they are hard to find. At the shot show, I had the opportunity to fondle a side pull charging handle made by Trojan Firearms.

I had heard of these before and thought......major POS!!.....whimpy, weak, super bendable...nice gimmick and junk.......then I got to play with one. Uhmmmmmm......I was wrong? (YUP, I was).....one solid piece of work. fits on a std AR upper. Sooooooo......I have 2 coming. After playing with them a bit, the only thing I can say is that they are heavy.....but in an upper, no heavier than a side charging upper.

I know others make these too......but this is the only one I've played with and it is solid and a great alternative

http://www.trojanfirearms.com/en/ar-15-gen-ii-side-pull-charging-handle

Edited by TRUBL
On 2/17/2017 at 5:53 AM, TRUBL said:

right now I am running a New Frontier side charger and I do like it a lot. Seems that they are fast becoming unicorns in that they are hard to find. At the shot show, I had the opportunity to fondle a side pull charging handle made by Trojan Firearms.

I had heard of these before and thought......major POS!!.....whimpy, weak, super bendable...nice gimmick and junk.......then I got to play with one. Uhmmmmmm......I was wrong? (YUP, I was).....one solid piece of work. fits on a std AR upper. Sooooooo......I have 2 coming. After playing with them a bit, the only thing I can say is that they are heavy.....but in an upper, no heavier than a side charging upper.

I know others make these too......but this is the only one I've played with and it is solid and a great alternative

http://www.trojanfirearms.com/en/ar-15-gen-ii-side-pull-charging-handle

Another option for bolt-on side charging handles, this one seems beefy and well made. 

http://www.devildogconcepts.com/hard-charger.html