Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock(s) not staying open on last round

Endoz

This is borderline embarrassing but i'm at my wits end. I've been shooting my G19 and G34 doing drills to get back into shooting and have had intermittent issues with slide lock not working on both. I remember this being an issue in the past with these guns, but not my other glocks. 

I mark my magazines and they are inconsistent. My thumb is over my support hand, not on the slide release, nor am I limp wristing the gun (am gripping tightly w/ little flip). Upon inspection, magazine followers seem fine, some are new. On my 19, i replaced the slide lock just to be sure and it still does it. Lever springs are under firing block pins on both guns, and they work occasionally. 

When i rack the slide on an empty mag it ALWAYS locks open, why not when shooting? I am shooting factory 124grn bullets. What am i missing? 

Thanks

Endoz

Edited by Endoz
forgot something

yes, factory mags. I found some info saying that the ammo i'm shooting may be short stroking the action causing it to not engage the mag follower. ? The brass is dirty, ie. lots of carbon on it after i shoot it, not sure if thats telling. 

26 minutes ago, Endoz said:

The brass is dirty, ie. lots of carbon on it after i shoot it, not sure if thats telling. 

That tells me the loads are weak. Not sealing tight enough when fired so lots of soot gets around the case. 

Id say it's short stroking myself. Either buy some hotter ammo or drop a pound lighter recoil spring in the gun.

If you have some potent SD ammo to n hand just test with one round in mag

Thanks Sarge...is it normal for factory loads to be weak? Now that i think about it, because i am just now getting into reloading, i've been shooting bulk cheaper ammo. Makes sense but not something i even considered, just assumed because it was factory it was good. 

Endoz

Hmmm...I don't think so. The reason i say that is after I shoot 9mm, i switch slides to a tactical advantage 22cal conversion on my G19 and shoot that as well and if i'm touching the slide at all it won't cycle. I'm guessing the weak ammo is the culprit but will double check my thumb position this weekend at range. 

Appreciate all the insights here, great resource. 

Endoz

Try shooting left hand only. That will eliminate any chance of pressing the slide release.  it will also  be easier to ensure no touching of the slide..  Those are the two most common issues.  the listed ammo should cycle about any gun.

I have this same issue on my G34. Turns out my right thumb is either riding the slide release or interfering just enough to keep it from engaging the slide. I removed the extended slide release and it helped but still happens occasionally. It doesn't bother me enough to try and change my grip.

On 10/27/2016 at 9:41 AM, racerba said:

Also weak mag springs...the reason they are inconsistent is that they are on the verge of being too weak...something else to look at...

My son and I both have this issue with the 17 & 34 and it's usually caused by riding the slide release with a high grip. My son was skeptical so I asked him to shoot with his strong hand only (RH for him) and low and behold it went to slide lock every time.

Additionally, I once saw that Bob Vogel takes a 33 round mag spring and cuts a couple turns off to fix this issue too.

Well, I took 30 rounds of my new reloads and shot 10 mags with only 3 rnds at a time on the slow fire target range to check accuracy and frankly to make sure they didn't blow up in my face. 3.8gr of titegroup w/ 124grn RN. Slide locked open every time. Accuracy was good as a bonus. 

I ditched the extended slide release when I got the 34. I do like that 33rnd spring cut down option, I may do that as well. 

• 6 months later...