Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sand & Mags

gerritm

Shooting a small USPSA match Saturday on a very sandy range. Between chasing my 38 super brass & resetting steels my hands got pretty sandy. Reloaded my mags after thinking I wiped my hands off good enough and shot the next stage. Big stick STI mag turned into a salt shaker about halfway thru. Amazing how a little amount of sand can totally screw up your day.

gerritm

Funny thing was I do that religiously, this was after cleaning them before the match and it never hit the ground. The sand was on my hands from picking up the brass and steel out of the sand. I must have had some on my fingers and transferred it to the rounds.

Live & learn, used to shooting a Glock open gun, pretty much never had to clean them.

gerritm

I haven't shot in sand, but I have had enough dirt get into my M&P magazines that the follower got stuck while I was shooting. My fault for not cleaning the magazines in three matches.

After that if I noticed any grittiness when reloading my magazines then I took that magazine out of the rotation until I got home to clean it. I have yet to have a problem since I started that.

Primary USPSA range down here is sand.....sand that likes to invade magazines and stick everything up!  Yes, clean every mag that hits the ground or you will regret not cleaning on the next stage.  One trick is to have enough magazines that you load ahead of time and don't have to clean during a match.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/21/2016 at 11:30 AM, Sarge said:

If my mags ever see snow you will know the zombie apocalypse is in full swing!

I would have to agree, something about shooting outside when it's cold enough to snow not for this guy lol.