Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber FTF

Core3gunner

I'm shooting a Kimber Tactical II that a bought in 2005 with probably 5000 round though it. Has the external extractor. 

Having FTF issues. I've changed the recoil spring, extractor spring and had the feed ramp polished. Used several different brands of ammo. It's still not running 100 percent. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to my world of Kimber issues. I bought the Gold Combat competition model, and this is the problem that crops up right in the middle of a ,match. For me it was bullet manufacturer, it simply will not shoot 230 grain Berrys. It is incredibly finicky with the type of ammo used. My Kimber will load the round in about half way, and hang up. I have also had failures to eject and ended up staring at stovepipes.

Right now I have switched to an RO, but I really do like the way the Kimber fits my hand. I have had a reliable gunsmith go over it twice, and of course, it never fails for someone else.... 

There is a pretty good thread on this topic here: 

Just for clarity is it a failure to feed or a failure to extract as you mention extractor spring. For myself once I went to round nose projectiles; used to use flat nose, that helped but still get the odd one. Are you using factory ammo or reloads. If reloads one of the key points from the other thread was Over All Length [OAL]. 

1 hour ago, Core3gunner said:

I'm shooting a Kimber Tactical II that a bought in 2005 with probably 5000 round though it.

Having FTF issues.

You've been shooting the gun for the past 11 years, put 5,000 rounds thru it, and

the FTF's just started, recently?

Or, has this been happening for the past 11 years?

I'm shooting factory ammo, have shot handloads in the past. 

Just start back in April, up until then it was flawless. Averages two per 150 rounds. Rarely happens in practice, mostly in competition.

I'm using Chip McCormik and Wilson combat magazines.

Mostly Remington/UMC 230gr., FMJ, some Winchester 230gr. FMJ, a few different HP's.

I clean the gun after each 3gun match and USPSA match. After 200 rounds in practice. I give it a though cleaning and use Outer's gun oil same as I always have. The Wilson Combat mags are only three month old.

The round starts into the chamber and goes about half way. Someone told me I may need a new extractor.

What Jack said...

It could also be COL and/or crimp.  I have seen factory ammo with insufficient crimp causing rounds to hang up.  I have seen factory ammo vary greatly in COL with long rounds hanging up.  Just because it is factory ammo doesn't mean rounds are identical.  1911's have the most trouble eating hollow points.

You say it's 11 yr old, with 5,000 rds through it? Ever change the recoil spring? I have a Kimber Custom Tactical II. And it runs flawless with 200 gr swc. But what I did find is that the factory Kimber springs do not last too long. That includes the mainspring, which I had to replace because it had lost about half it's spring tension. Put in a new recoil spring, and see if that helps. After that, I'd look to the extractor. Though the extractors are more likely to get looser, rather than tighter over time.