Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome CZ 75? Where to do it?

Dlister70

I've got a few flaws in the finish of my CTS, and I was thinking of getting it refinished this winter since there aren't many matches to go to anyway.  I'd kind of like to get a hard chrome finish on it, like the DVC Limited guys have.  All the guys I know that have a DVC limited don't seem to have scratches or holster wear or any of that on their gun like the guys with blued guns have.  

Does anyone have any experience getting a gun chromed?  My googling led me here:

http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing/finishes-metal-finishes.html

But I don't know anything about the company apart from they seem to do hard chrome finishes and they seem to charge $210 to do it.  That didn't sound unreasonable to me.  

I also can't really find a picture of a CTS or TS in that finish to get a better idea of how it would look.  Most of the CZ 75s that I see chrome are a shiny chrome 75b, which I don't want.  I want a matte finish and I want it durable.  I'd be open to duracoat or cerakote or whatever other kind of process would achieve what I want.  I'm more concerned with the durability of the finish and final color than I am with what process gets me there.  But clearly I don't know enough about it to make a decision, so I figured I'd ask you folks for opinions. :)

Yeah, that's an awesome looking gun!  

Thank you for the insight guys, I'll check those companies out!  

I think hard chrome is the way to go based on the stuff I've read about it.  It sounds like it holds up really well, and I like the looks of it too.

Metaloy hard chrome matte finish on my TS frame.  I removed all the parts and sanded off the psuedo-checkering before sending.  Only $150 plus shipping (FFL item since it still had a serial number on it).  Very durable finish, better than the factory polycoat for sure.

RnxxY9w.jpg

12 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

No

Actually, more like maybe. It depends how tight your gun is fitted. I just had Techplate hard chrome a new slide for my open gun. It was a used frame, new slide and I put about 2500 rounds on the slide in the white prior to plating. My gunsmith did a very good job fitting the slide to the frame since when I got it back from plating, some lapping was needed for it to free fit. Techplate says the HC default finish thickness is 0.002" min. I have had a STI slide fitted to a used Para frame and it free fit without any further work.

Edited by ChuckS

Thank you.

The only "fitting" trouble I had was the screw that holds the mag release spring. The chrome got in there and the screw wouldn't tighten. If I was doing it again I'd just put it back in the gun before sending it. 

I have some hard wood for a hard chrome with polished flats SP-01 shadow.   Not sure why but I ran across a picture of one somewhere online and man it looked sweet.  

I have had a couple of 1911's HC'ed.  I used Fords.  On one of them I had to kinda break it back in because it wasn't 100% functional when I received it back.   After a few hundred rounds and working the slide a bit it was ball bearing smooth and reliable.