Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relationship between bullet weight and powder weight

dspring

I am looking for a somewhat hot load to cycle my CX4 carabine efficiently and a friend suggested a 124 gr Berry's plated round nose pushed by 4.0 gr TiteGroup
with a 1.152" COAL.

I use Blue Bullets which are 125 gr. So how do I adjust the recipe? Just deduct one gr of powder? Or how does it work, am not clear on what kind of calculation goes into factoring a different bullet weight. 

Also, on a different brand, do you simply adopt the same COAL or -if not- how do you arrive at an optimal COAL?

First, you'll have to run The Plunk Test to see if Your Gun/Mags will accept 1.152" - then I'd back it

down to 3.7 gr TG and work up, slowly, with a chrono.

You will probably need a little more powder, rather than less, but no sense taking a chance.    :) 

The lighter the bullet the more powder you can use, the heavier the bullet the less powder. Also the harder the bullet more, the softer less (for the same weight, FMJ versus lead).  I've run HiTek (coated) bullets up to 5 grs of TiteGroup at 1.100". They go about 1,250 fps. However my USPSA minor load is 3.7 grs at 1.100" which makes about 132.