Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Launched gun from holster today. Looking for new holster

3gunnuts

CR Speed WSM series for STI Edgd. As soon as I reached for the grip as I "exploded" off the start position gun was already on its way out of the holster.  Caught it just out of the holster and kept going without issue but it wrecked my mindset for the stage. It seems the forward momentum of the fully loaded gun was enough dislodge it.  Same thing happened toa buddy with a Bladetech open front holster. Now looking for ideas for a new holster.  I have a few in mind but I have some questions. 

Safariland 014

DAA Racemaster

Ghost The One

How positive is the retention when the lock is disengaged for stage starts?  Think shaking hips back and forth vigorously with fully loaded gun.

I like my DAA Race Master. I run retention unless I am going to draw it right from the buzzer, in which case I run it in race mode (no retention).  Also came in handy on the one match all year I ran where we had to re-holster and run - used retention and no worries about hustling.

8 hours ago, 3gunnuts said:

Caught it just out of the holster and kept going without issue but it wrecked my mindset for the stage.

Not trying to start anything but.....

#1 it is a DQ if you lose control of your gun.  The reason being is people tend shoot themselves or others when trying to catch a falling gun.  Never a good idea to try and catch one on the way down.  Here is the definition of a dropped gun and the rule that is used for the DQ when it's dropped. 

Dropped Gun ...................(during the course of fire) A condition in which a competitor loses control of their handgun. Loss of control does not require the handgun to land on the ground or other range surface or prop. It occurs anytime the handgun is no longer in control of either hand, even if it is trapped against part of the body or caught in midair

10.5.14 Retrieving a dropped handgun: A dropped gun must always be retrieved by a Range Officer who will ensure it is unloaded and properly secured in the competitor's holster or a suitable container. The Range Officer may, at his discretion, secure the gun himself or return it to the competitor who will secure it under supervision of the Range Officer. Dropping an unloaded handgun or causing it to fall outside of a course of fire is not an infraction; however, a competitor who retrieves a dropped handgun will receive a match disqualification.

I like my DAA Race Master Magnetic.  I added a muzzle rest this year for "extra" security, even though I've never had an issue.  It holds the pistol securely and you will not dislodge it with hips shaking back and forth.  However, a violent upward movement with a heavy gun will generate enough momentum to unholster the gun.  I leave retention engaged whenever rapid movement prior to draw is required on a stage.  With the DAA, disengaging retention is accomplished without thinking during the draw

Hello: I know more than a couple dozen master and grand master shooters that use a Blade Tech DOH for there limited Edge type pistols. Their draw is almost the same with those as it is with a race holster. One master shooter I know and have timed at 10 yard draws a bunch of times can do the first shot in 0.90 sec with a Blade Tech DOH with a STI Edge in 40. I use a DAA Magnetic Race Master and a Blade Tech as well. The difference for me is only 0.20 but I don't practice draws like I should. Most stages now have movement so you draw then move to the first target. Classifiers are another story. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

16 hours ago, ktm300 said:

Not trying to start anything but.....

#1 it is a DQ if you lose control of your gun.  The reason being is people tend shoot themselves or others when trying to catch a falling gun.  Never a good idea to try and catch one on the way down.  Here is the definition of a dropped gun and the rule that is used for the DQ when it's dropped. 

Dropped Gun ...................(during the course of fire) A condition in which a competitor loses control of their handgun. Loss of control does not require the handgun to land on the ground or other range surface or prop. It occurs anytime the handgun is no longer in control of either hand, even if it is trapped against part of the body or caught in midair

10.5.14 Retrieving a dropped handgun: A dropped gun must always be retrieved by a Range Officer who will ensure it is unloaded and properly secured in the competitor's holster or a suitable container. The Range Officer may, at his discretion, secure the gun himself or return it to the competitor who will secure it under supervision of the Range Officer. Dropping an unloaded handgun or causing it to fall outside of a course of fire is not an infraction; however, a competitor who retrieves a dropped handgun will receive a match disqualification.

I understand that.  I guess I should have been a bit clearer.  As my hand got about a half inch away from the grip it pretty much launched up into my hand.  The only person that could have possibly noticed it was me as I did not grab for it other than the motion of my normal draw.  It just popped out and into my hand.  Future issues should be solved as I ordered a Saf 014 today.

Try the Ernie Hill Speed Holster.  You can make it fit any gun with just a little adjustment.  Very secure and very fast to draw from.  I use his revolver holster and had and accident last weekend were I flipped over.  The gun stayed secure in my rig.  It proved to me how secure it is.

I saw 3 wedgies, a bunch of bobbles and 2 AD's ROing Area 8 this year. All on the draw with race holsters. That only solidified my decision to dump my racemaster a couple years ago. I shoot a Kydex from Redhill now, even with my 6 inch gun. I have hit .8 draws in matches.

I had a WSM once and felt it was not very secure. I moved to a Guga, then RaceMaster, then to Limcat. These three are awesome and all are very secure once locked in. All have a few small differences but I like the Limcat the best for the draw and security.

However, what Eric said above is very true. You don't need a "speed" holster, a DOH type will function just as well, is very secure, and draw speeds should be just about identical.

the new double alpha, alpha X holster would be my suggestion. it uses the same magnetic insert blocks as the race master but has a better hanger design. very secure retention even when 'unlocked'. when unlocked it can only come up to get out of the holster. it will not release forward. 

• 2 weeks later...