Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Pax River, MD Area - Need Advice

HI all, it looks like I will be getting order to Patuxent River, MD in the near future. I have started to do research as to where I want to live since we all know that Maryland is a communist state (at least as 2A issues go). It looks like I could live in the Dahlgren, VA area which is roughly a 1-hour drive (depending on traffic across the 301 bridge...which I hear can be pretty bad). Living in VA would give me the ability to carry concealed for self-defense, as well as purchase magazines and guns without jumping through hoops. 

One of the other major things that I am looking for, if possible, is live in relative close proximity to a USPSA club that has a range that allows its members to practice. Currently I have access to a range that I can do any USPSA related practice that I want with almost any "standard" prop that you can imagine; while I don't ever expect to find a club/range as open as I currently have access to, I would love to find a range in the Dahlgren/Pax River area that will allow me to continue to practice.

I found Sanners Lake Sportsmen's Club (and SOMDPS club), however it looks like the range is not taking any new members at this time. I also found Fredericksburg Practical Shooters which also appears have a full membership roster as well.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a different range/club? I would also like to hear anyone's opinion regarding living in MD vs VA and how bad the drive would be from Dahlgren to Pax River every day. 

Thanks!

- Alex

I've been in Lexington Park, MD for the past 5 months and unfortunately your kind of screwed. Sanners Lake is the only close when it comes to matches, Expect at least 2 hour drive to any other match. The only gun range Ive been to is in Upper Marboro and that's just your standard indoor range to my knowledge you probably wont find anything close to what you are looking for in southern Maryland, sorry to break the bad news.

You might look closer to richmond to see if you can find a club.  I think anyway you dice it you're going to be up for a haul.  I was stationed at ft meade for a few years and I'm glad I got out of MD after that tour...  On the bright side you'll be right near solomons and good fishing.  

I have lived by PAX my entire life and I can tell you the commute from Dahlgren, VA will get very old, very quick.  With traffic that ride could easily be 1.5hrs and much longer if something happens on the "Nice" bridge.  While I won't defend MDs gun laws (even the folks who make them can't) they are easily worked around and are now only a mild inconvenience.  If you do decide to live by PAX Sanner's Lake is less than a mile from base and does allow you to practice (no steel) once you get signed off by our USPSA Match Director.  There is a wait list for our club but it gets cleared each year as members drop off making room for the new members.  There are also special provisions for military which may get you immediate access.  If you have any questions about the PAX area feel free to PM me I am happy to help.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:35 AM, SDM said:

This would be fairly close. I don't know anything about them or their rules.

http://www.northernvirginiagunclub.org/about.html

That's a nice club, I've shot Cowboy Action there.  They have an action pistol shooting area.  There was some talk about USPSA and 3-gun, but not sure if that got off the ground.  Traffic is going to suck anywhere around DC.