Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you ever had this happen?

rowdyb

who brings their dog with them, let alone let them loose during a shoot? Shouldve been a DQ for the dog owner. Could've been a real dangerous situation if the shooter was startled enough to turn the weapon the wrong direction

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

He got about another foot in front of me then turned around. This person actually had two of these dogs running around all day at this level 2 match. They seemed really well behaved to me, but I was the lucky one who they wanted to "play" with while I was shooting.

Jmore, if any shooter turns around with a weapon (loaded or not), it's a self correcting problem, called a DQ. Doesn't matter what the distraction was. By the way, it's called a match, not a shoot. Yes, and thru out all dozens of years that I've been playing the games, there have been dogs, coyotes, rabbits, one time a cow, another time a sheep. The real danger is to the dog because they have no eye protection. This was a 40 cal frag in my forearm, went in about 6mm. Try digging that out of your eye. You can take your ears off at the range, but never your eyes. If anyone on my crew spots a visitor with no eye proctection or someone with a dog, we stop until they are outside of the bay.

image37458.jpg

On a lighter note, we were at a Level I match at a club that has a wide variety of activities, including (on this day) dog training at another area on the grounds.  The bays are dug into a hill, so the top of the backstop is level with the ground beyond it.  As a shooter was making ready somebody noticed a cute little face, accompanied by a big doggy smile and a furiously wagging tail, at the top of the backstop.  He just had to meet all of us and quickly worked his way down the hill, greeting everybody on the squad.  We naturally called a stop and went around the berm to let the next squad know, but they'd already been visited by the rest of the doggies from the training class.  Somehow they'd all gotten loose, apparently lead by our little guy. 

A good laugh was had by all, and when the critters were corralled by their apologetic owners we moved on with the match.  Everybody loves pets, so it ended up being a fine diversion, and nobody was hurt. 

I loved both my dogs (they passed 2 and 4 years ago this month) and that is the biggest reason for me to NEVER bring them to the the range, let alone a match. The potential for injury is too high. Hearing damage, eye damage from fragments, bits of sharp bullet jacket cutting a paw, shall I keep going? And, letting them run loose? With bullets flying, what's wrong with these people?

My dog is trained, if I shuffle my right foot a certain way he knows it means to interrupt so I can get a reshoot. :D

in seriousness, I agree it isn't fair to the dog to expose it to our shooting environment, unless it's an actual military/Leo dog. 

Red

Dog owners were RO's at the match. I sat and watched the dogs doing very weird things while people shot and they appeared to not really like gun shots. I personally did not like them out there and thought it was pretty dumb of them to have them out there roaming free. The few times I saw the owner trying to tell the dog what to do it didn't really comply.. not really feeling a huge dog wandering around while people shoot. 

And just for the record I am a huge dog fan and have a pit sleeping in my bed with me now. 

my dogs have floppy ears that they use to prevent hearing damage. They don't seem to really notice when i'm shooting pistols, but they don't like being in front when I shoot my 30-06, so I know that is loud enough to bother them. 

I've brought dogs to the range, both as a shooter and as an RO. It's not rocket surgery. You just keep them under control and away from the firing line. If they aren't used to gunfire, maybe get them used to it somewhere less crowded first.

A few years ago we had an escaped neighbor dog visit our USPSA match. The range is surrounded on 3 sides by various private parcels, so after knocking on doors for a while we gave up and took the dog to the shelter. The owners claimed him within a day or so, and must have fixed their fence because we haven't seen that dog since.

On 10/22/2016 at 8:11 AM, 9x45 said:

Jmore, if any shooter turns around with a weapon (loaded or not), it's a self correcting problem, called a DQ. Doesn't matter what the distraction was. By the way, it's called a match, not a shoot. Yes, and thru out all dozens of years that I've been playing the games, there have been dogs, coyotes, rabbits, one time a cow, another time a sheep. The real danger is to the dog because they have no eye protection. This was a 40 cal frag in my forearm, went in about 6mm. Try digging that out of your eye. You can take your ears off at the range, but never your eyes. If anyone on my crew spots a visitor with no eye proctection or someone with a dog, we stop until they are outside of the bay.

image37458.jpg

I think you got something different out of Jmore's post. I can see a dog that gets aggressive making some one turn in the wrong direction regardless of the rules. If it's not my dog I'm not worried about frag!

I think you got something different out of Jmore's post. I can see a dog that gets aggressive making some one turn in the wrong direction regardless of the rules. If it's not my dog I'm not worried about frag!

Correct, if someone gets started by the actions of the dog, i highly doubt "rules" will be the first thing in their mind. Just look at the picture, it looks as if the shooter is full on ready to go engage targets and the dog looks like he's ready to jump up and grab the gun like a squeaky toy. Had the dog jumped and touched the shooter i don't think his first thought would be "oh dont DQ", more like WTF was that.

BTW I know its called a match but a match is beginning to end. But when someone is physically standing at the ready gun in hand with timer about to go off, then hes ready to "shoot". Go ahead and bring the dog to the "match" but at least hold him during someone's "shoot"

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If you lose track of where downrange is when a dog jumps near you, you'll probably lose track of it when other things happen too, and you'll probably get dq'd because of it. I've seen a variety of odd things happen on stages, and most shooters never lose track of where their weapon is pointed.

This is dumb, aside from service animals, dogs have no place on a range. I hate that people just assume you want to be around their animals and find it really annoying. Well, not only annoying but dangerous. Having a giant dog run up and jump on you is dangerous because you can't predict or control what that dog is going to do when it's unrestrained.

Personally I don't want a GSD to jump on me, push me down, trip me, confuse me or anything else whether I'm shooting or not. Why any of you are defending this is beyond me.

I too like dogs but really don't like people who just assume everybody likes dogs. I see an occasional dog at a match and I don't give a crap if their ears, eyes or feelings get hurt. That's the owners problem.

33 minutes ago, Lee G said:

This is dumb, aside from service animals, dogs have no place on a range. I hate that people just assume you want to be around their animals and find it really annoying. Well, not only annoying but dangerous. Having a giant dog run up and jump on you is dangerous because you can't predict or control what that dog is going to do when it's unrestrained.

Personally I don't want a GSD to jump on me, push me down, trip me, confuse me or anything else whether I'm shooting or not. Why any of you are defending this is beyond me.

i don't think anyone is defending a dog jumping on you or anything else. not sure what posts you are reading.

I'm sure it would be great if everyone only acted exactly like you want them to, but that probably isn't going to happen. Some people probably think fat dudes, or revolver shooters don't belong on the range. I personally think that those people and also dogs are welcome at the range as long as they behave appropriately. It appears that in the OP's case there was some inappropriate dog behavior.

Edited by motosapiens

24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I too like dogs but really don't like people who just assume everybody likes dogs.

I assume everyone likes dogs except soulless communist jackwagons. But I still don't want them jumping on people or getting in the way.

;)

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

We have the same problem with people bringing their dog to work.

I brought my dogs to work yesterday for an hour or so. Everyone loved them. I penned them up in my office after they said hello. Mostly I had them in the back of the truck because we have some demolition and remodeling going on at our house, so I wanted them out of those guys' work area. :cheers: