Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you ever had this happen?

rowdyb

Couple months ago I was shooting a match on a large private property. The owner's dog wandered down range of one stage, which had a wooded area as part of the backstop in and out of which the animal kept popping. The dog did not want to be corralled either.

Probably added a half an hour to my squad's time on the stage until we felt the dog had gone, and we were still worried that it would come back while somebody was shooting.

My dog of 18+ years went to many matches, but nobody really knew.  He was ~40 pounds of mixed Chow, Cocker and Lab.  He was a rescue dog.  Slept under the truck, away from the noise and was super happy (and leashed). Same dog went to work with me several times a month, through security (Amazing what a few Hardee's biscuits can influence) and into my office.  Slept under the desk.  No muss no Fuss.  Had many a meeting in my office and very few knew.  So The point being, this was a well behaved and adjusted dog.  I would not subject just any dog to a match environment, but I also will not hold myself guilty of my acts above.  I was lucky with this dog and it just worked.  Most dog issues I have had in life; the issue was with the owner.

any time my Labrador is around shooting he insists on trying to bite the muzzle flash, same situation when I'm golfing and he tries to get hit in the head with the club face... I've never taken him to a match though, that is just an accident waiting to happen.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:57 AM, Sarge said:

I too like dogs but really don't like people who just assume everybody likes dogs. I see an occasional dog at a match and I don't give a crap if their ears, eyes or feelings get hurt. That's the owners problem.

You must be real fun at parties.

• 4 weeks later...
Jmore, if any shooter turns around with a weapon (loaded or not), it's a self correcting problem, called a DQ. Doesn't matter what the distraction was. By the way, it's called a match, not a shoot. Yes, and thru out all dozens of years that I've been playing the games, there have been dogs, coyotes, rabbits, one time a cow, another time a sheep. The real danger is to the dog because they have no eye protection. This was a 40 cal frag in my forearm, went in about 6mm. Try digging that out of your eye. You can take your ears off at the range, but never your eyes. If anyone on my crew spots a visitor with no eye proctection or someone with a dog, we stop until they are outside of the bay.

image37458.jpg

I agree with the DQ no matter what the reason for breaking 180, but there is also no excuse for pets on a range, whether or not they're restrained. The dog owner should be kicked off if not banned from the range.

Wildlife or livestock are one thing. They're not as controllable. They're also far less likely to run up and bury their nose in your crotch while shooting a stage.

Pets should never be permitted on a range. Period. I've belonged to several private clubs and the no pets rule is usually right up there with no alcohol. Clubs/ranges have enough liability exposure without being harrassed by the humane society or PETA. Or have a round go off the range because someone stepped on Fluffys tail while shooting a string.

On 11/1/2016 at 0:26 AM, assaultthesalt said:

Yep ,.... must have been at the Impact Zone. And.....Phil's dog " 6 " ain't scared of  gunshots either. :) 

I think his dog is named Bren and he is not scared of anything. The longhorn walking on top of the berm happens quite often, kind of freaky the first time it happens and you see that big ole head and horns pop up.

gerritm

11 hours ago, FWSixgunner said:

Pets should never be permitted on a range. Period. I've belonged to several private clubs and the no pets rule is usually right up there with no alcohol. Clubs/ranges have enough liability exposure without being harrassed by the humane society or PETA. Or have a round go off the range because someone stepped on Fluffys tail while shooting a string.

Can you make *all* the decisions in my life for me? Maybe you could get a job with the government so you could make *everyone's* decisions.

What color pants are we allowed to wear?

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

Can you make *all* the decisions in my life for me? Maybe you could get a job with the government so you could make *everyone's* decisions.

What color pants are we allowed to wear?

Yes.

Application pending.

Khaki.

:rolleyes:

On 10/22/2016 at 8:24 AM, teros135 said:

As a shooter was making ready somebody noticed a cute little face, accompanied by a big doggy smile

Put that in a golf cart and it reminds me of when I met Sarge at a Lexington match. 

I was RO'ing at my local match once, when an entire pack of beagles ran over the berm, through the bay, and right back over a side berm.  They were being used in a sporting dog trial at another division, and were hunting outside of their area.  I also had a wild turkey fly through the stage at a Nationals once, but I kept right on shooting.  I love dogs, and I have seen some really well behaved dogs at the range.  That doesn't mean I think it should be the dog park either.

• 2 weeks later...
On December 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Dogs get into all kinds of trouble...

For the other dog lovers, do you think you could dispatch a wild kangaroo bare handed if your dog(s) were in danger?  After watching the video I believe I could as long as I could avoid those legs.....

Also some dogs may be different but I'd never take my dog to a range where I wasn't the only shooter on the line, couldn't handle the guilt if anything were to happen as I'd feel responsible.  

1 hour ago, Peterock said:

For the other dog lovers, do you think you could dispatch a wild kangaroo bare handed if your dog(s) were in danger?  After watching the video I believe I could as long as I could avoid those legs.....

Without more video I'm not really sure that the dog was in any danger, dog didn't seem anxious to bite or to be struggling to get away and I don't think Kangaroos fight by neck hugging. 

The guy might have prevented some really ugly pups though. 

Oh, full version on utube shows it was staged. Some vulgar language & not really worth watching. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS