Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time squadding with practiscore

kamikaze1a

It looks like we're going to try squadding next month and this will be the first time since we started to use practiscore.  We're using an ipad for master and Nook ST for scoring.  Not using online registration and pulling to ipad after the match.  Wondering what the best practice would be?

I created a sample match to checked it out and found that I could set the squads in the ipad and then pull to Nook or pull the master list and then set the squads on the Nook.  Which way is best?

We will have a Nook for each squad and it will follow the squad through the match.  In the scoring tab I see all of the sqads listed so does that mean that practiscore will merge the scores and ignore the missing scores from the other squad?

Any other tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

If your not doing online reg/squading then setup a "master tablet" like your ipad.  Build your match/stages and enter your shooters.  You will be able to squad everyone on the tablet and when done sync to your nooks.  It is actually easier to move people around in squads on the tablet then on the website.  Your RO's can add walk ons on the nooks if needed and it will sync back when you sync your nooks to your ipad at the end of the match.

PractiScore master (the iPad in this case) will synch and merge all the scores and registration changes done on the Nooks.

The way I do this for our weekly matches (30 to 40 people):

- register and pay in one spot, squad then
- sync the devices send them out
- if somebody shows up late, get their match fee, send them out, register them on the Nook  

If a match is super busy, like hundred+ people then online is very helpful, even if you take money at the range not online. 
And if you don't want to use online then you can go parallel - use MULTIPLE devices at registration to register and squad. In this case what I do is one pay line, and a set of devices per squad. Go the squad you want, register and squad. I loosely, as MD, make sure that they squads balance out (no 14s and a 5).  This will register 100 people as fast as you can 15. 

And I never ever hold up matches to register. The devices go out on time, and people can register out on the stage when they shoot. 

Hope this helps.

Ken N.

Since your nooks will follow the squads, once the match is synced to the nooks go to the match/edit shooters squads.  In the top right there will be a "squads" button.  It will pull up the squads list then tap on the squad for that tablet.  It will "lock" that tablet to that squad to make it easier for your RO/SK to move between stages and score their squad.  When your done with the match you will sync "pull" the scores from each tablet into your master.  From there you will have the entire match to upload to practiscore.

practiscore is great.  Good luck.  One thing that might help is to remember that you will pull the match info from the nooks at the start of the match.  You will sync (pull) on each nook.  At the end of the match you will sync (pull) using the master and pull from each nook.  

Thanks for your help Crash!  I learned about that pulling while sync'ng early on (the hard way)...

One of the things I learned with our recent match was dealing with classifier re-shoots or competitor shooting a classifier 2nd division.  I use a separate nook just for that but used the master list instead of adding the name a 2nd time.  Found out that was wrong when the 2nd division shooter's score messed up the match results but eventually got it all straightened out.

One more thing you might be able to help me with.  If setting up a USPSA multi gun match using hit factor scoring, I don't see the USPSA Multi Gun match type listed on the ipad, only 3GN Club, 3GN Pro Eliminator, 3GN Shotgun, Tennessee 3 Gun, Time Plus and Time Plus (points).   The Nook does list USPSA Multi Gun but scoring type is either Time Plus or Match Points Entry. 

What match type do I select for USPSA multi gun using hit factor scoring?

Nook version; 1.3.10

iPad version; 1.680 (3)

I was wondering if that would be how it's set up but wondering about the power factor.  How would you designate if a competitor was major pistol but minor rifle or the other way around. 

Are we behind the times scoring multi gun with hit factor?

Are you scoring all targets according to hit factor with a b c etc?  We also use time plus. It's much easier IMO. A zone hit or two on paper to neutralize. Plus I'm a fan of the flexibility time plus gives in multi gun. 

Try to get used to online registration. It makes life a thousand times easier. Sell it with the ability to get instant results once the match is complete if they register online. I'd never attempt to do practiscore and not consider online registration. It's enough work as is. Wrk smart not harder 

Yes, we were scoring on paper just like you would a USPSA pistol match.  With the popularity of time plus I am starting to wonder if we should switch.  There must be a reason for the popularity of that style of scoring.

We are a small club with 16-24 competitors and the same guys attend each month so it's pretty easy to do without online or pre-registration but practiscore sure is the best!

Throw together a practice match really quick. Time plus saves a huge amount of time and once you see it in practiscore you'll see why it's popular for three gun. Instead of walking targets and saying one alpha one Charlie two alpha two alpha. It's all hits and nothing to enter unless they have a miss or penalty. Bit of a learning curve if you've been doing it and probably benefits the faster guys vs the more accurate guys but I think it's a better multigun format 

Thanks for that!  I did as you recommended and it does seem to be simpler.  The no power factor threw me but I understood once the no score/points part sunk in...

Other than hit A's as quickly as you can, what's the basic strategy with time plus?  Is it opposite of USPSA where time often trumps accuracy?  There's a guy who shoots USPSA pistol and shoots slowly but usually gets all A's, finishes near the bottom but occasionally wins at our IDPA match.

time plus can but shot a lot faster than hit factor scoring.  In 3 gun guys just throw two rounds on paper.  Just slap the trigger twice and move on.  Its hard for some of the 3 gun guys to do well in USPSA since they are use to just putting two rounds on brown instead of actually doing anything that resembles aiming. 

• 2 years later...

i see these posts are older - but our club is just getting into USPSA matches - we send out all the nooks synced.   But according to this conversation - the following example is true??

Master nook, then 2 additional nooks -   1, 2, 3 -   nooks.     the tablets go out to the match -  then we have a couple walk ons.   so now a new person goes on tablet 2    and another new person goes on tablet 3.     at the end of the day,   we sync those tablets to the master 1 tablet ....   then EVERYBODY IS ON IT ALL TOGETHER ??   everyone from the 2 and 3 tablets sync to the master ??