Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PF between two 929's

Ignatz

I got another 929 for my wife, and taking both guns to the range for chrono......they are 4-5 PF off from each other.

Mine is the 929 with the end cap removed, and hers had the front trimmed down and re-crowned. The trimmed down one is the slower gun.  They are both accurate with .358 bullets, but is this sorta normal between revolvers?

Also the slower gun has a 6 thou. space between the barrel and cylinder, and mine is around 9 thou.

Edited by Ignatz

are they both around the same round count?  Wondering if you slugged the chamber throats and barrel if you would find one has larger dia?  Haven't had a chance to run parallel tests of my 929's with the same load.  Will see if I can get to that in the next week or so.

22 hours ago, chirpy said:

I have heard experts say that two of the same gun to come off the line one after the other will have variations like you mention.  Has to do with tool wear and such.

Same thing applies to .22 RF guns when finding the most accurate ammo.  If 2 guns come off the assembly line in sequence, they won't necessarily shoot the same ammo to the same level of accuracy.  This has to apply to the 929 or any other gun.