Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non Audible Timing Systems

Like 3 gun nation, they have you hit a button, run and shoot then hit it again in the end?  I am interested in this to be able to train with for 3 gun nation matches.

I have also seen stop lates, and some attachments, and others that just say " must shoot that plate last.   

What other timing systems have you guys seen.

Many, many years ago, before I even knew shot timers existed, I made a device that kept everyone honest.

It involved a wrist watch and some switches, batteries and a RCA jack. A bridge made contact with the "start" button and the buzzer at the same time.  

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/timer/timer1.jpg

This was used for a plate rack and when the last plate dropped it stopped and locked up the stopwatch, with another switch.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/timer/timer2.jpg

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

For many years timers had a jack for "Plate". This was connected to the stop plate switch to stop the timer when you hit the stop plate. When we still used stop watches and whistles to time stages, it was the only way to make sure the last shot was the stop plate.  My club kept a whistle and stop watch in the cabinet for years after the Pro Timer 2 came out.

Jay

I think we need provision for a non-audible START signal.  A light or the turning/rising target used by NRA and ISU bullseye shooters would require us to break the conditioning to listen for the Beep!  Of course this would apply more to IDPA with its nod to tacticality but I think it would be an interesting novelty for USPSA, too.