Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Bullets for CZ Shadow Custom

Hi_Im_Vinh

The current load I'm using for my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom is : 3.4gr Win 231/ 147gr Xtreme plated or 3.2 gr Clays / 147gr Xtreme plated both loads with OAL of 1.150 ( both loads met PF 126 ) ... so my question to those who own/shoot one of these fine pistols ; is that what brand of lead bullets have YOU tried that gave you great success ? I'm specially looking to stick with 147gr bullets .

I think you'll find that a lot more shooters are going to be running hi-tek coated bullets instead of bare lead these days.

What are your reasons for wanting to go with a bare lead bullet?

I'm a huge fan of coated - nearly as cheap as lead and nearly as clean as jacketed.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I go back and forth form coated to plated. 

I shot 2" groups at 20 yds off hand with xtrme . So I stuck with those. Now I'm shooting a CZ. So, I'll be comparing what's best in my gun. 

Acme, BBI, Blue bullets all worked well for me. 

However, depending on the profile of the bullet you choose, you're OAL may not work. I'd be surprised if you can get 1.150" to work with anything but xtrme.  

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  I wanted a good coated lead bullet recommendation to be exact....

Reason is cost and to see of there's something more accurate  you guys have tried that works 

21 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I go back and forth form coated to plated. 

I shot 2" groups at 20 yds off hand with xtrme . So I stuck with those. Now I'm shooting a CZ. So, I'll be comparing what's best in my gun. 

Acme, BBI, Blue bullets all worked well for me. 

However, depending on the profile of the bullet you choose, you're OAL may not work. I'd be surprised if you can get 1.150" to work with anything but xtrme.  

Which of those allowed you to load the longest oal ?

15 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  I wanted a good coated lead bullet recommendation to be exact....

Reason is cost and to see of there's something more accurate  you guys have tried that works 

Which of those allowed you to load the longest oal ?

Sorry if I'm not answering your question. 

I can't remember witch allowed for the longest OAL. I was loading for my G34  didn't have to worry as much as you will with the CZ  

If I understand it correctly (lookout) it's not the OAL necessarily, it's the ogive/profile that is the deciding factor.  

The 147 gr xtrm for instance, are more pointed, and that allows for a longer OAL without the bullet touching the lands. 

So, here's how I see your options. 

1. Get your barrel reamed to allow for different profile shapes  

2. Find a coated bullet with a similar profile as the xtrme. 

3. Shorten your seating/OAL if you go with a more rounded bullet. 

Acme has a 145 gr that may be similar to the xtrme. 

Also, all lead bullets were equally accurate for me. 

You can order a sample sample pack for most all of them.  I'd try some of those and cook up some batches around the 130-135 pf range and see what works best in your CZ. 

From what I've read, most folks seem to have the best accuracy around the 135 pf range. 

Edited by B_RAD

5 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Sorry if I'm not answering your question. 

I can't remember witch allowed for the longest OAL. I was loading for my G34  didn't have to worry as much as you will with the CZ  

If I understand it correctly (lookout) it's not the OAL necessarily, it's the ogive/profile that is the deciding factor.  

The 147 gr xtrm for instance, are more pointed, and that allows for a longer OAL without the bullet touching the lands. 

So, here's how I see your options. 

1. Get your barrel reamed to allow for different profile shapes  

2. Find a coated bullet with a similar profile as the xtrme. 

3. Shorten your seating/OAL if you go with a more rounded bullet. 

Acme has a 145 gr that may be similar to the xtrme. 

Thanks for all your insight, I will look into the ACME bullets website later today 

1 hour ago, BASE772 said:

I ran SNS 147 flat points at 1.135 OAL in my unmodified SP-01 Shadow barrel. 

Very nice bullet, 

Ok thanks, I just purchased some ACME 147 FP and 145 RN to try out and if those don't do the trick I will definitely look at the SNS bullets

I use Bayou's 147 either with clay dot or wst. I find claydot ever so slightly softer

E3 is even better

I like the Bayou's cause I can load them about .025-.030 longer than some other 147's. Mostly the nlg bullets, they have a different ogive.