Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti trubor 9mm major gun

herman

this may sound dumb but if you don`t know this is the place to ask so....

trubor,   i went to friend who owns a machine he has several cnc machines & several lathes asked him to flattop & lighten my slide to 11oz. or so not sure how light to go, but he has never done a slide before so how do i tell him how much metal to take off where & or drill holes { not knowing the correct term } in the slide where , front , middle back.  what designs to make..

i`m lost can anyone help. ?

thanks,    herman

Hello: Since you are going to fit a new barrel and comp I would not do anything until you do that. Shoot the gun for a while to get a feel for what you may want. Just saying you want to lighten slide to 11ozs is one thing but where do you want it to balance? Weight forward or back or in the middle? Lots to think about so you may want to deal with someone who has gone down this road before. I don't want to scare you but I have seen guys do this before and quickly sell off the pistol since it does not do what they think it should do. Sometimes small steps pays off---BIG. Thanks, Eric

Get n touch with Glenn Rasch at Lone Star Innovations (Vendor in the Vendor Section) I know that Glenn has done and does do slide work on existing slides.  It may cost you a few dollars more but that is a small price to pay vs. using your slide as an experimental project.  Either way best of luck  :cheers:

I wouldn't have anyone other than an experienced gunsmith do work of this type.  And I mean experienced in these types of action pistol competition guns. 

We have a guy locally that went to a gunsmithing school in Colorado and charges a fortune but doesn't know comp guns at all.  He couldn't even put  an extractor on a 1911 for a friend of ours.  And some of the known builders only do their personal specialty, which might be regular 1911s (not comp), or bullseye guns, or whatever.  Many folks are often too busy making complete guns or otherwise doing their own thing.  Also, there are a lot of "fanboy" recommendations out there, but look around and find out who really does good work.  Some of these are nice folks and will talk all day but somehow don't actually get down to doing extra work. 

But please, don't just grab a general machinist to work on a finely tuned competition gun.  It can get frightening. 

Hello: Here is a Trubor in 9mm that I lightened to give you an idea. I also installed a Shooters Connection racker as well. As for barrel I like Schuemann, Kart and even the STI ones. Comps I use mine. This Trubor just needs one more thing done to it I think. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0247-2.JPG

I have the old two port comp on mine, it took a *lot* of work to get it to shoot as flat as possible without it beating my hand to a bloody mess. Dot still leaves the glass but it comes back on target nicely. I'll be changing to the new three port comp in the future.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Here is a Trubor in 9mm that I lightened to give you an idea. I also installed a Shooters Connection racker as well. As for barrel I like Schuemann, Kart and even the STI ones. Comps I use mine. This Trubor just needs one more thing done to it I think. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0247-2.JPG

I have 2 of Eric's comps. They work very well.

On 10/20/2016 at 5:48 PM, Absocold said:

I have the old two port comp on mine, it took a *lot* of work to get it to shoot as flat as possible without it beating my hand to a bloody mess. Dot still leaves the glass but it comes back on target nicely. I'll be changing to the new three port comp in the future

what load did you use to make the gun shoot flat? 

12 hours ago, ar15rick said:

what load did you use to make the gun shoot flat? 

115gr Montana Gold HP
8.4gr HS-6
Win SRP
1.167 OAL
1,480-1,534 fps. 1,499 avg. 18.2 sd. 172pf.

It's not flat. The dot still leaves the glass. But to get it any flatter required a lot more energy and it mostly just beats the crap out of your hand. I think in total I tried over 60 different combos of bullets and powders including different charge weights and OAL's to try and get it as flat as possible without it being unnecessarily violent. This was the best compromise for my T1 comp'd Grandmaster (basically a pretty Trubor).