Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision and the red dot

Sandbagger123

Hello: Get your glasses for your open pistol to give you target focus. At least that is what I am going to do when the time comes for glasses for me. It should be in about a month or two. Going to get a setup for open and one for iron sights. Mono vision I think for iron sights for me. The guys I shoot skeet with have their glasses setup for distance as well. When you go to your eye doctor ask if you can bring in your pistol or maybe just the red dot. I would also bring in a target as well to see what works the best for you. Thanks, Eric

As an eye doctor, I see many patients (over 40) with this issue.  I usually give them 2 prescriptions. For red dot sights we use the full distance Rx because, as the previous poster correctly noted, the red dot is superimposed on the target.  For iron sights, I use a modified Rx. Not quite distance, but not quite near. I have developed a Rx that will keep the front sight clear as well as the target. I also have shooters bring in their particular pistols, as the barrel length make a big difference on the Rx.

Hope this helps.

Stewart

I use +2.50 for reading, but for shooting open I simply use the drug store special +1.25, for $9.95, and that works like a charm. 

Now... the irons is whole another game, I don't shoot it in competition, and at the range I simply squint my right eye.  Good enough for the range.