Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC

JunotFranco

I am assuming you mean DVC. If you use the search button there are many threads on the DVC pistol line up.

The DVCs run very well for most people. Some people have had slides crack at low round counts (STI fixes them, but its time w/o a gun).

If that is your price range I would strongly suggest looking at a CK. Several vendors with in stock pistols such as Shooters Connection (Forum Vendor). They come with EGW internals, aftec extractors, and Dawson Ice magwells. In my personal opinion I believe they have better QC than STI. Its not to say most STI pistols aren't fit wonderfully, but there are many examples of lemons that got past QC.   

Again, this is just my opinion. Do some research and decide for yourself. You can also find some amazing custom limited pistols on the classifieds here.

I had issues, a friend had issues, another friend has had no issues.... Slide and frame cracks seem to be more common in these pistols.  STI replaced my gun from a cracked slide however I immediately sold the replacement, friend had the frame crack.  It did take STI about 4-6 weeks to get me the new gun.  Another guy on this forum had his slide crack and it took 7 weeks to get his back and they did a rather crappy job on it.  I'll let him chime in.  @Sparky

My vote is to stay away until they get the issues worked out or get something out.

if you go to any match, STI is VERY well represented in Limited and Open divisions.  sure there is a good reason for that.  also check out their Edge, and Brazos has their HP edge program which is nice to have a 'smith go over your gun.  i have a sti dvc (open) and brazos hp edge, and they're BOTH very nice guns with zero regrets, as are two other box-stock STI's.

I played with a DVC at their vendor booth at the 2015 Nats, I wasn't terribly impressed. It's pretty to look at, sure. The one I fondled had a truly terrible trigger job (on a demo/display gun? really? for shame!). It was tight and well built but you can say that about any gun in this class. I saw no reason to drop the ton of extra money on one over the Trubor. But this is all just my opinion, many have lined up to buy one and love it.

Trubor is more of an Open gun. STI Edge would be the cheaper alternative to the DVC Limited. If you're willing to spend DVC money though, I might lean towards the CK Arms Hardcore.

There are tons of options, all better than the next. Pick a budget, look through the possibilities, pick out a few you like, ask for merits/drawbacks on them. Don't forget to look at CZ, EAA, SPS, PARA, RIA, and the like as well. No reason you might not be super happy with a sub-$1,000 gun with a few tasty upgrades.

14 hours ago, JunotFranco said:

Hello guys.  Looking to venture into Limited again and I have been looking at the DVC but I hear a lot of people telling me to stay away but no reasons why... can someone tell me why?

I picked up a DVC 9mm back in December.  It's run great, with no issues.  Trigger is excellent.  No complaints at all.

I had to tune the extractor in my DVC Limited to get it to feed.  Then I had to send the slide back around 1200 rounds to get the rear sight replaced (the aperture started getting loose).  Then I had to replace the sear spring at 1300 rounds because it wouldn't hold tension (hammer follow).  Now I'm at just over 2000 rounds, and it seems to be running strong.  For the money I'd expect a little more, but I honestly like the gun so much that I've just dealt with it and moved on.  A tuned Edge or a CK gun might be a better value, but I really enjoy my DVC.

STI (David Cupp) has been really great to deal with.  Takes a little while to get things done, but

they are really busy.  I think what we are forgetting is these are newer factory guns and they're

still working out the bugs that come with building a new gun.   Where as the CK Arms guns are

being built by Custom Gunsmiths.  I like CaptainOverKill also like the DVC.

I've enjoyed my DVC Limited so far.  I'm just shy of 1300 rounds.  I had to do some fitting on the slide stop to get it running right.  I swapped in a few Dawson parts (Ice Mag well and Dawson Mag release).  The trigger was closer to 4 lbs out of the box.  I did some polishing and several thousand dry fires and it is now a little shy of 2.5 pounds.

1 hour ago, CaptainOverkill said:

That's strange.  Mine was 2 lbs 2 oz when I got it.

I don't doubt it. Again it's a QC thing. Most of them are very similar. But, with so many hands touching each gun, the variance between a Monday gun and a Wednesday gun can be big. It's blind luck.

It's sounding like the bottom line is ... variable results.  Some folks are having good luck with the DVC, others not, for unknown reasons, maybe QC as MHitchcock said.  For me I'd wait until it settles down some and then take a look again. 

At the end of the day it's an assembly line, factory made gun. Not saying theres anything wrong with that. But just like every other factory made gun there are variations in the tolerances that don't allow every gun to be perfect out of the box. If you want a gun guaranteed to run do a custom build. Otherwise just be prepared for the fact that it MAY need work to get it to run like you want it to, just like every other factory gun out there. 

Edited by js1130146

Well Ive bought 2 new Sti edge pistols and 2 used ones,,.never tuned a mag run long ammo in all of them,factory recoil masters in all of them..I put in aftec extractors later..just wanted them.They all run for me...Will buy another when I find the right one.

But now I do clean my guns after every match,I don't go overboard just field strip wipe clean oil and ready for next time..

i also bought a new Trubor had to have ejector tuned,4000 rounds no problem 9 major

Beginning of this year I made the switch from Glock to STI. It was a stretch of the pocket book to purchase the DVC. The gun has run flawless for me using MBX magazines. That being said if I had another 3-4 hundo to spend I would of went with the CK. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like my DVC quite a bit. I picked it up used and got a good deal from a buddy. So no complaints there. 

I also have a CK basic limited gun in 9mm. The CK is a higher quality gun.  I don't think anyone argues that. BUT, the DVC is still an excellent gun that shoots very well. 

If I were going to buy a brand new gun, I would lean towards the CK. Just don't hesitate to pick up something used because you're afraid of quality. 

2 hours ago, FlashAndPoof said:

Is there any reason to pick up the 9mm DVC over the .40 DVC? 

Not unless you want to shoot minor power factor for some reason or you will be using it for something where power factor doesn't matter.  Like 3 gun.  If you think  you'll be shooting uspsa than the 40 is the way to go.