Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cons for para/armscor 2011

obsessiveshooter

I came super close to buying a MAC 3011 SSD  (basically a Para), but in the end the ergonomics of the CZ Tac Sport won out.  I'm super happy with my decision, but if I ever want to go with a 2011, I'll end up buying the MAC.  The price is great and I think I actually trust their quality more than Para. 

I've not seen a con with my RIA 2011, bought it new, and tore it down for inspect/clean/lube like I do with all my firearms. It's a little heavier but has been reliable and accurate, as well as a soft shooter. 

With this economy we see less disposable cash for the high $$$ guns, more people working into the affordable Para/RIA markets, and therefore seeing the positive reviews of an expanded market area which are reasonable.

It really doesn't matter which brand name is on the slide; if you cannot diagnose and work on firearms, you want someone nearby who does. There are so many online resources now for tuning it is truly an incredible time.    

On 10/20/2016 at 9:24 AM, tomjerry1 said:

I've been shooting a RI Pro Match 40 for three years now, @20k rds. I believe I had one of the first, it was made on Monday by a person with a Friday hang over and ten thumbs. With that said, the more recent guns look much better. I paid 625 and they are now right at 900, hopefully the larger price equates to better quality. I have had a new front site, new trigger, and a new barrel installed, it's a different gun now. so my original investment and an additional 700 for parts and installation, below 1500, I think with a little effort looking for a used gun(STI or the like) may well be worth it. I am using STI mags, but everyone using MBX swears by them. There is a large post for RI on this site, 33 pages, and a lot of info on them, both 9 and 40, worth a read. You also might look at the SPS, I've held one, not shot, but it looks really nice, and the price is better than STI and others. There is also a post on the SPS 9 open gun by Patrick Kelly. Oh, since I put the barrel in it, it shoots straight, I was going crazy thinking my loads were bad, no more tumbling, I think the bullet was bouncing down the barrel. Good luck with your hunt.

I got to shoot this same pistol, and it is definitely a different feel then my STI .45 Eagle. Not a bad thing, but whatever fits your hand is the right choice. It does shoot well, and now is a reliable competition firearm. Without a doubt is has had some work done, but even STI's need tuning out of the box, SA's need it, Kimbers , etc, etc. Personally I love my STI, but I would like to see an SPS in action some day.  

I do not know if barrels are an issue with the RIA, but I can say with certainty that when shooting with tomjerry1, watching the bullets tumble was real entertainment. We had a stage where you had to kneel, shoot through a barrel, and drop 6 steel plates that were in order. If you took bets on where the bullet would miss, the odds would have been 50-50 to each side, or high to low. Watching that gun tumble bullets just before he replaced the barrel was as much fun as watching Hillary explaining her loss on the Russians, fake news, whitelash, illegal voting, and Bills bad breath. I have never seen a barrel shoot that bad. He would have been better off with a rusted Raven .25.

I had to send my 40 back to the factory for accuracy issues and they replaced the barrel. They found that the lock up was not correct. The gun now shoots 2in groups at 20 yrs offhand. 

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Sorry to hear that, but I guess it's what to expect from RIA, I put a new KKM barrel in mine, new gun.

I talked with Benny at Triangle Shooting Sports last week about doing several upgrades on mine, one of which was a new KKM or Kart barrel. 

The KKM barrel is of really nice quality, and with a great fit from my smith, it shoots night and day difference from the RIA barrel. I thought that I was loading my rounds with to much crimp, causing them to tumble. Well those same rounds show no signs of tumbling with the KKM barrel. I am quite sure there are many other good makers of barrels, but ended up with the KKM because of availability, but would definitely recommend them.

3 hours ago, lightfighter363 said:

I used to have a RIA TCM. i need to upgrade everything inside just to make it run flawlessly.

I have never seen a "flawless" gun. Even Glocks have issues and they are by far the most flawless guns on the market. 

56 minutes ago, yellowfin said:

So where in the heck does one find a RIA double stack 40 these days?  I keep looking for them and they're sold out in the places I know to look (Bud's and Gunbroker).

I got mine on here.  Added a better magwell and a couple more mags.  Gun runs great but put a short reach trigger in it and worked it over.  Keep watching the classifieds on here.  i had barely missed one a couple weeks before I saw the ad for the one I bought.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:47 AM, BoyGlock said:

Do Paras still use the power extractor? Its this feature that weaned me away from Para. 

They use normal extractors now, and have for some time.  Also someone, I cant remember who, makes a dill to convert the power extractor models to accept a normal extractor.  Be weaned no more:-)