Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I need to run a Hornady Benchrest powder measure on a progressive press?

What do I need to have a case activated Hornady benchrest powder measure on a Dillon press? I've seen the linkage some kind of case activated lower assembly, also a bushing? and then the PXT expander? I'm lost...

1. Hornady benchrest powder measure

2. Linkage?

3.? Have no damn idea 

3 hours ago, peterthefish said:

You need the below - powder through expander for pistol rounds, rifle rounds use a different funnel rather than expander that should be included.

Wow...can't ask for better directions than that....what exactly is this? Does it just make switching the powder measure out easier?

"Hornady L-n-L Powder Measure Handgun Powder Sleeve"...is it included? Are there others? What does it do?

"Case Activated Lower Assy Improved"

31i4smrKpSL._SY450_.jpg

241616.jpg

31i4smrKpSL._SY450_.jpg

241616.jpg

The first item you posted lets you switch the powder measure between toolheads, but only includes the base, not the linkages. So you need to buy the more expensive one once, and the cheaper ones after that if you want to swap the measure between toolheads. You'll also need the linkage (turnbuckle looking thing) for each toolhead as it is used to dial in flare.

The second item is included and will drop powder in pistol cases but won't expand them. Assuming you're running something like size, powder drop, powder check, seat, crimp on a 650, you won't have an expanding station so you'll need the powder through funnel to expand.

Final note: on a 1050 you'll have to file your measure to give clearance against the primer tube, and it will not have adequate clearance for a Mr Bullet Feeder.

I've heard of them running fine on 650s but have no firsthand experience.

I may be nuts (go figure) but I'm going to try a Hornady benchrest powder measure on my 650 to handle the microscopic ball powders. The Dillon leaks so much that I get more on the press than in the case. I was able to get the entire pile of Hornady equipment (I hope) for not a lot more than what I wasted on a plastic powder bar that was supposed cure this issue. 

I've already pulled the trigger on this, so to speak, so any help, words of encouragement or prayers will be greatly appreciated. 

I have a ton of drum powder measures and they all perform well. The Hornady benchrest seems to be a nice unit. How it works with that Rube Goldberg linkage is another question entirely. I've read that the L-n-L people are quite happy with theirs and once I try it I'll never go back...rrriiiggghhhhtttt. I'm not a great fan of mixing apples and bowling balls...

Watch...This will be like crossing the streams. I'll have a 650 primer explosion that will set off the powder measure and it'll be like the water heater explosions on Myth Busters.

Edited by AbitNutz

Lots of folks have used Hornady, RCBS and Lee measures on Dillon's, so it you are nuts, you have company.

I have had two LNL's the first one bought specifically for use with extruded powder.  I no longer own either.

Edited by jmorris

So looks like you'll be good on a 650. The way the linkage works is pretty straightforward once you watch it in action. Keep in mind it doesn't have the failsafe action of the Dillon measure, which means you could drop two partial charges if you short stroke the press.

I'd also recommend blue loctiting the short black screws in the linkage when setting it up. Had one back out and ended up with a squib before I realized what happened.

Looks like Micrometer adjustment stem is included with the Benchrest measure - makes working up loads on the press a piece of cake.

I always used the Dillon powder check before it went crazy and died. Now I use an RCBS lockout die and like it better than the Dillon. It doesn't have the sensitivity of the Dillon powder check but it definitely will detect a squib or double charge. On a 45 acp case if loaded with 10 grains of powder and it gets 15 grains, it will detect that...but detecting down to a grain or two? No, I wouldn't trust it to detect that. I guess I'll fix or get a new Dillon powder check. I hate it when I blow myself up. 

I'm kinda curious how well this is going to work...I wonder if it will be smoother than the Dillon? Everyone complains about the new style Dillon's not being as smooth as the older, non-failsafe version. Let's face it, it is kinda herky jerky. I do look forward to it not leaking fine grained bal powder all over the place...

This is supposed to be their best powder measure Hornady makes (for whatever that's worth) so I expect it to be reasonably accurate. The Dillon I have tends to drift a bit more than I'd like. I set it for 10.5 grains of Power Pistol last night and it drifted from 10.3 to 10.7 using the extra small powder bar. It keeps me from pushing the loads on some things...

I suspect that being being bounced around atop a progressive loading machine isn't the best environment for a powder measure to produce the most consistent loads. I guess it will be a learning experience.  

The extra small bar is for charges under 3 grains, you might try the regular small bar for your 10.5 grain loads.

There are also folks that add vibrators to their measure to get it more consistent.  Even manual measures have been made with "knockers" on them to get more consistent charges.  So a "clunk" might not always be a negative when it come to a consistent charge weight.

Edited by jmorris

3 minutes ago, jmorris said:

The extra small bar is for charges under 3 grains, you might try the regular small bar for your 10.5 grain loads.

There are also folks that add vibrators to their measure to get it more consistent.  Even manual measures have been made with "knockers" on them to get more consistent charges.  So a "clunk" might not always be a negative when it come to a consistent charge weight.

Really? 3-grains? I didn't know that...

Page 11: D. Station 2: About Powder Bars Dillon Precision manufactures four types of powder bars for the XL 650: 
1. Extra Small – use for dropping less than 3 grains of powder. 
2. Small – use for dropping 3 to 20 grains of powder. 
3. Large – use for dropping 20 to approx. 45-50 grains of powder. 
4. Magnum – use for dropping more than approx. 45-50 grains of powder. The extra small powder bar is used when loading .32 Auto, .32 S&W and .32 S&WL. 

18 minutes ago, jmorris said:

18 minutes ago, jmorris said:

Man, have I got that one wrong...I really thought that the extra-small would be covered up to 15 grains or so. I'm going to switch to the small powder bar and see if life improves as far as accuracy. That will do nothing for the mess when metering fine ball powder but at least it may cure accuracy issue with Power Pistol....

`