Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did it take you to develop a baller reload?

ArrDave

1 hour ago, Shmella said:

Kind of random but sort of on topic here, I noticed it seems like Max Michel changed his reloading technique when it comes to hitting the mag release in 2016. I have been watching youtube vids and in some videos (more recent) he hits the mag release with his left thumb then reaches for the mag with the same hand. It kind of stood out to me and I never noticed it before so I looked at some match videos in 2015 and he uses his right hand thumb but the most recent uses his left hand thumb. I wonder why the change so late in the game? Editing to correct myself. Only noticed this in a couple of vids shooting open.

Link me. I'd be surprised if this is actually true.

Injury makes sense.

I thought it was strange, for a split second I was rethinking maybe giving it a try but quickly scratched that. it seems like a time wasting technique unless you have tiny hands or regularly get dq'd for breaking the 180 while reloading and moving or something.

Edited by Shmella

1 hour ago, Shmella said:

unless you have tiny hands or regularly get dq'd for breaking the 180 while reloading and moving or something.

Even then, there are other options to fix that rather than using your weak hand to hit the mag release. I know some people do it and it works well for them. For me, it just doesn't make sense to delay getting the fresh mag in your hand.

On 11/16/2016 at 0:38 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Yeah he did hit the button with his weak hand at 1:22.

The only thing I got is a possible injury to his right thumb. There's no other sensible reason I can think of to do it.

I just asked a friend who took his class at the Texas open this year.  My friend actually asked about it because he had seen it, too.  Max said that he uses his weak hand sometimes, mainly when the final shot on the array requires extra follow through, like a partial, and as long as he still has enough time to do the reload before the next array.  He said it drives home the fact that he needs to follow through and fixed an issue of him pulling the last shot on arrays when going for a reload.

He uses his weak hand here, at 2:43, but uses his strong hand at other times.

Whatever you gotta do to keep from screwing up I guess. It seems like switching up which hand you push the mag button with would add yet another distraction though. In all of the video evidence of him pushing the mag release with his support hand he has 3+ strides of movement before needing to shoot again anyway. So it really does not matter from a stage time perspective which hand he is using.

When I perform a reload my support hand is almost down to the next magazine on my belt by the time the gun has come back to the reload parking place and I start pushing the mag release. If I pushed the mag release with my support hand before going for the next magazine I would be at least 2 tenths behind schedule on getting the mag off my belt during the reload process.

Edited by CHA-LEE

He is Max Michel.  I'm not going to question it.  When Kobe Bryant threw up certain shots, it looked like everything you shouldn't do, but he was Kobe Bryant.  Some guys are at such a high level that we assume everything they do is the right way to do it.  Well it might be for them, but it might not be for us.  Seems like he is intentionally slowing himself down here, which I don't need to develop any habits to slow myself down any further.  I'm pretty good at slowing down.

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Max said that he uses his weak hand sometimes, mainly when the final shot on the array requires extra follow through, like a partial, and as long as he still has enough time to do the reload before the next array.  He said it drives home the fact that he needs to follow through and fixed an issue of him pulling the last shot on arrays when going for a reload.

I like that flexibility based on the circumstances.

Max said that he uses his weak hand sometimes, mainly when the final shot on the array requires extra follow through, like a partial, and as long as he still has enough time to do the reload before the next array.  He said it drives home the fact that he needs to follow through and fixed an issue of him pulling the last shot on arrays when going for a reload.

1 hour ago, Pistolpete9 said:

He is Max Michel.  I'm not going to question it.  When Kobe Bryant threw up certain shots, it looked like everything you shouldn't do, but he was Kobe Bryant.  Some guys are at such a high level that we assume everything they do is the right way to do it.  Well it might be for them, but it might not be for us.  Seems like he is intentionally slowing himself down here, which I don't need to develop any habits to slow myself down any further.  I'm pretty good at slowing down.

That's fine, I have no problem questioning it. He's an amazing shooter but he doesn't do everything perfectly and neither did Kobe. 

2 hours ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I just asked a friend who took his class at the Texas open this year.  My friend actually asked about it because he had seen it, too.  Max said that he uses his weak hand sometimes, mainly when the final shot on the array requires extra follow through, like a partial, and as long as he still has enough time to do the reload before the next array.  He said it drives home the fact that he needs to follow through and fixed an issue of him pulling the last shot on arrays when going for a reload.

The reason given just doesn't compute for me. Follow through doesn't actually depend on your method of releasing the magazine in any way, shape, or form. The only possible way reloading has an effect on your follow through is if you're moving the gun prematurely to get the reload started, in which case that can easily be sorted out through practice. Adding a new slower movement as a bandaid to fix a tiny flaw in your fundamentals just doesn't make sense at all. I'd rather directly fix the flaw.

• 4 months later...

Revive but I couldn't help but notice max do the weak hand mag release button hit during some footage of optics nationals this year. Looks like he's still going strong with the weak hand button press. I still find it weird. ..

Edited by Shmella

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...