Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellor & Bellot primers as soft as Federal?

B_RAD

I've shot several thousand they my G34 with reduced striker spring without a single light strike. So, to me they worked as well as the Fed SPP. 

Then switched to CZ SP01 Shadow. I've had a few light strikes. My CZ has a 11.5# hammer spring, ext firing pin w/reduced spring. 

I guess it's all opinion but anyone think the S&B primers are harder than the federal SPP?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stopped using them... I've had more light strikes with those than with any other brand. They were all shot through my 1911, which is very reliable. Winchester are supposedly harder than Federal, but I don't have any issues with them. I only use Federals in my revolvers because I have to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've shot several thousand they my G34 with reduced striker spring without a single light strike. So, to me they worked as well as the Fed SPP. 

Then switched to CZ SP01 Shadow. I've had a few light strikes. My CZ has a 11.5# hammer spring, ext firing pin w/reduced spring. 

I guess it's all opinion but anyone think the S&B primers are harder than the federal SPP?

Just pulled 50 or so test rounds tonight of 9mm JHP that I made for my open gun (G17). Out of two magazines only about 10 or so rounds actually went off. Loaded up the same round with CCI 500's and every one went bang. Go figure, CCI's are supposed to be some of the hardest primers out there. Had the same experience in my .380's, lot-so failures to go bang. I think S&B pistol primers are just kinda crappy primers. Even in guns with standard springs and hammer fired guns I've had more duds with S&B than all other primers combined. Used them in both LR and SR and haven't had issue. I won't buy any more of their pistol primers no matter how good the deal. And to answer you question, yes I think they are harder (and crappier) than Federal's. I've never had a Federal primer fail to go off no matter what the gun. I try and use Federals( if I have them) in my guns when I know there might be light strike strike issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunno, as I've probably shot at least 7000 S&B primed rounds in 9mm, .40, .45, and .38 Spec and have yet to have one not go off. Glock's, Sig's, CZ, M&P, Beretta's, 1911's, and S&W Revolvers

Using pistol primers in pistols, I've had no problems in lightly sprung guns. Using SR in one of my open guns, even with a long firing pin, around 40% failure to fire. So, I'm leaving the S&B SR primers for my .223.

I've shot 15-20k of them in SP in my M&P CZ and now Tanfo. They're definitely harder than federal. I could not use my 8.5# hammer spring in the CZ and can't use a light spring in my Tanfo with them, I'd get a small number of light strikes. Going to a medium Tanfo spring and 11.5 hammer spring in the CZ and they were totally reliable. I have not had the dead primer issue mentioned above and if I spotted them for $17 a 1000 again I'd buy a boat load of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I switched back to a 13 # hammer spring. Brought my DA back to 8#. not too much of a fan of that!

Probably go back to the 11.5%. I may just use these for practice and monthly matches and use federals for big matches. 

Edited by B_RAD

I haven't had a problem with them going bang, but they run like a&& through the primer tube on my 550.  I don't think they're QC'd as well as the premium brands.  Plus I don't get that nice playdough squish into the primer pocket like I do with Federals

21 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

loading on a 1050? seat them deeper....

Yes, 1050.  I've already adjusted the seating depth. Gave it just a slight turn. I may turn it a little more.  

Anyone know now how much of a turn equals (guesstimate) X amount more seated?

Edited by B_RAD

I switched back to a 13 # hammer spring. Brought my DA back to 8#. not too much of a fan of that!

Probably go back to the 11.5%. I may just use these for practice and monthly matches and use federals for big matches. 

Thats what I did, but the 11.5 worked for me with the S&B. At bigger matches I threw in the 8.5 and federal. To be honest the trigger difference was minimal but the lighter spring is just so sweet. Although going up to the 13 was a big move from the 8 and I wouldn't have been a fan of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started using them when they went on sale for $18/K with free ship. Just finished 20K, but had to run 6 lb firing pin springs in the Glocks. They are much harder than Federals, but a more annoying thing is they are harder to pick up in the tubes because they have very square edges, not a nice radius like on CCIs. However for the price...

I've yet to have one not go off in a few thousand rounds in Glocks with 4.5# striker springs and the factory strikers. They're a bit harder to seat because of the more squared off edges and really tight fit in certain brass like Herters. But for $20 per k totally worth it and I'd buy more if they go back on sale at Cabelas.

B_RAD, have you tried ensuring the primers are firmly seated well?

I had same issue with my shadow when I first got it and switched over to 11.5# hammer spring....once I slowed down loading and took more time to firmly press each primer in my ftf went away

Other fellow friends told me it could also be the fact that my gun is pretty much new and needs more breaking in , only put 800plus rounds down the pipe

11 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

B_RAD, have you tried ensuring the primers are firmly seated well?

I had same issue with my shadow when I first got it and switched over to 11.5# hammer spring....once I slowed down loading and took more time to firmly press each primer in my ftf went away

Other fellow friends told me it could also be the fact that my gun is pretty much new and needs more breaking in , only put 800plus rounds down the pipe

I'm loading on a 1050. It seats on the downstroke. I try to make sure I go all the way on the down stroke. It could be possible that I'm stopping a little short. 

It's a seating issue, not a hardness issue.  I was having a small issue with them in my CZ with an 11.5# spring, until I did some searching here and found a thread on the same topic where Bowenbuilt (I think?) advised someone to put some more ass into it.  As it turns out, putting some more ass into it solved the problem. ;)  None of my other pistols have had an issue.

As to hardness, yes, Winchester is harder than Federal, but Winchester is still second softest.  Never had a Winchester fail.  Oddly enough, I have had two Federals fail, but they were both flat out dead primers.