Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 major

hceuterpe

I have some data for this.

I heard and gave into the hype of N320. Personally, I bought 4lbs and won't use it. I don't get what I've read. It's nowhere near as soft as Ramshot Comp with the same PF.

db68803568e6b6c8a6ad7bc2f94f4ef9.png

OAL was 1.135. Same bullet. PD JHP. I also did 4.6gr at the same OAL with Zero FMJ and they were reading a little slower. Avg 163 PF.

Maybe I'll use the N320 for 9mm.

This was for my G35. I just didn't get the good feel that I've read about.

I have some data for this.

I heard and gave into the hype of N320. Personally, I bought 4lbs and won't use it. I don't get what I've read. It's nowhere near as soft as Ramshot Comp with the same PF.

db68803568e6b6c8a6ad7bc2f94f4ef9.png

OAL was 1.135. Same bullet. PD JHP. I also did 4.6gr at the same OAL with Zero FMJ and they were reading a little slower. Avg 163 PF.

Maybe I'll use the N320 for 9mm.

This was for my G35. I just didn't get the good feel that I've read about.

What app is this?

N320 is good powder.  Is it some kind of magic? No.  

I shoot it and Ramshot Comp.  I shoot N320 at majors because my load is consistent, it's accurate, and burns clean. 

In response to the poster saying Ramshot Comp was softer... meh, not that I've noticed.  However, my take on powders "feeling" different is that it's not all that important.  172PF pretty much feels like 172PF.  The tiny recoil characteristic differences are not going to affect your shooting.

This IS racing though... and there is always the need to chase perfection. 

1.135" Is a good length for Glocks with a PD jhp... start at 4.5-4.6gn of N320 (that will probably be to soft).

3 hours ago, hceuterpe said:

Btw, any other starting points to consider?

Every barrel is going to be different. Only way to know what'll work for you is to chrono in your gun. 4.6gr sounds to me like it might be a bit light for a JHP. I'd probably load up some at 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 to test. Start at 4.6 and see if you even need to go up from there.

N320 is good powder.  Is it some kind of magic? No.  

I shoot it and Ramshot Comp.  I shoot N320 at majors because my load is consistent, it's accurate, and burns clean. 

In response to the poster saying Ramshot Comp was softer... meh, not that I've noticed.  However, my take on powders "feeling" different is that it's not all that important.  172PF pretty much feels like 172PF.  The tiny recoil characteristic differences are not going to affect your shooting.

This IS racing though... and there is always the need to chase perfection. 

1.135" Is a good length for Glocks with a PD jhp... start at 4.5-4.6gn of N320 (that will probably be to soft).

You're right. This is racing.

Our feelings about our individual experiences vary, and that's why we race and have fun doing it.

I'm shooting a different gun now and maybe N320 will have a different feel at a different OAL. It's off season for me and a good time to try some things out.

I just ran through some workups with N320, using 200gr Blues, 180gr Ibejihead RN (HiTek), and 185gr Precision (moly coated)

COAL was 1.140-1.150" for the different projectiles in my barrel.

Quickloads gave me 4.4-4.6gr for the 185, and 4.5-4.7gr for the 180s, with the high end shooting the best on both and making about PF 171-172 on the chrono. Low end was right at PF 165

Edited by thormx538

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One thing I love about N320 and my Dillon 650 is that the powder drops are absolutely boring in their consistency!  If I set to 3.98 grains... I will almost never see anything outside of 4.0 or 3.96.   I'm used to getting SD's in the 5-8 range with N320 on 15 shot groups.  Anything over 12 to 14 is rare.